Camera Bag

Haileyrenee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi All :)

What's a good Camera Bag to get for my Nikon D90? I only have the Kit Lens now, but plan on purchasing more. I was interested in getting one that would hold 2 lenses plus camera and other odds and ends needed.

Thanks in Advance for your Advice,

Hailey

For comfort while walking around, I use a Crumpler 7 million dollar home and carry all my gear posted in the sig(without tripod) plus extra batteries, memory cards, charger, manuals and there is still more room but gets a little on the heavy side.

When I'm on the mountain hiking or biking I carry all that in an inexpensive 35$ Swiss Army sling bag from Costco which seems to take a beating no matter of the conditions...

What I suggest is to go into a good camera shop and try out some of their bags (usually they will carry most of the popular better bags) and see what suits you better. Until I settled for the Crumpler, I went through about 6 different models of Kata and Lower-pro bags finding them all uncomfortable.
Also not many people know what Crumpler is so figured I'd be less of a target if I would be in a not so safe zone traveling :) since the Crumpler looks somewhat generic and nothing special on the outside.

I have the KATA 3n1 10 and love it. It is a backpack/sling and works very well. My D90 with a grip and 17-55 2.8 (hoss of a lens) fits snugly with a SB-600 in there too. It has a top compartment for another lens (usually my Nikkor 10-24mm wide angle) and some side pockets for the rain cover and my Canon S95 point and shoot. I also got the tripod holster and that works well for hiking.

p!nK

I have the KATA 3n1 10 and love it. It is a backpack/sling and works very well. My D90 with a grip and 17-55 2.8 (hoss of a lens) fits snugly with a SB-600 in there too. It has a top compartment for another lens (usually my Nikkor 10-24mm wide angle) and some side pockets for the rain cover and my Canon S95 point and shoot. I also got the tripod holster and that works well for hiking.

p!nK

I tried that bag for a week and it was great for convenience, but I personally didn't like how it sat on my back as a backpack and meanwhile the sling function is nice, again it didn't sit very well on my back again.

I will sell you this for $100 + shipping...;)

My Bag

Only the bag, of course...

I also have 2 other smaller Tamrac Bags if you are interested... PM me if so and I will send you some pics!

I bought the Kata 3N1 30 and it is a nice bag. I have it set up for the D90 to have the 70-300 or the 18-105 attached. So far it is holding the D90, 70-300, 18-105, SB 600, D90 charger, batteries for the SB600, lens cleaning stuff and manuals (son has it for photography class this semester). The top compartment has room for other items such as wallet, keys and sunblock. There seems to be some space in the bottom compartment at this point to hold another lens or two but I would imagine that if I added more lenses I would stop carrying around the D90 charger and buy another battery to save space. It seems comfortable enough for me but every body is different. It does come with a rain jacket in case the weather turns while you're out.

I went through several bags, a Kata and a big off-brand clamshell backpack that will hold a pro-body (or gripped prosumer), 7-8 lenses etc.

For my general bag, I finally settled on the ThinkTank Retrospective 30. It's brilliant, it doesn't look like a camera bag, you can silence the velcro for shooting weddings/churches or other quiet scenes (I call it "Stalker Mode").

Here's a crappy picture of it:

New bag! by adversus.us, on Flickr

That's got my gripped D7k facedown w/ the 70-300 on the front, 35 and 50mm primes in the left side (can't really see 'em), SB-600 in pouch on the right, and a bunch of accessories hidden away.

I went through several bags. I had a LowePro Slingshot 202, which carries an SLR and like 2 or 3 lenses. It was pretty much useless when I put a grip on my camera. Plus I am a fairly big guy and it felt like I was wearing one of those little purse backpack things that were kinda hip in the 90s.......for chicks.
Then I bought a Tamrac 5608 shoulder bag which is awesome and carries a good amount. I mainly replaced the Lowepro with a shoulder bag because I had a wedding coming up and thought a backpack would be inappropriate. I kept the Lowepro for the wife and for walk around shooting. As my kit grew I bought the Tamrac 5375 backpack which is pretty good but I just recently outgrew it. So I just ordered this from Calumetphoto.com

Calumet BP1500 Large Backpack

They are having a bag sale currently on their own brand of bags, I think it goes until tomorrow.

i have the Lowepro Micro Trekker 100. i like it a lot but im looking for something new, ill sell it to you for $40. it does everything your looking for and more. let me know if you like it.

I've got.the Lowepro compydaypack, and in addition to a gripped D7000 and 5 lenses, I can fit a whole bunch of other stuff in it. Right now the extras include 2 speed lights, a 42" reflector, a bunch of radio trigger stuff, cleaning supplies, batteries, charges, a bottle of tums and a 1911.

For $70 it was a steal.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back