What's new

Camera Flash

flyin-lowe

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jan 5, 2009
Messages
287
Reaction score
6
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My wife told me I could spend up to $100.00 on my fathers day gift this year. Are there any flashes that I can get for under $100 or should I look at something else and save for a better flash.

I am a newbie and almost all of my shots are of my kids, nothing fancy but I would like to upgrade from the on board flash. I have also been shooting some outdoor shots around my house but mainly with the telephoto from a distance that would not be affected with a flash.
As listed in my signature I have a Canon XS with the kit lens.
 
Unless you are versed in manual flash use, I would suggest that you save your money and at least look at something like the new Canon 270EX
Canon | Speedlite 270EX Flash | 3806B002 | B&H Photo Video
It is a dedicated flash unit for Canon that features EtTL communication between the body and the flash.

It has some good features if all you are wanting is something to provide more light for photos. It only has direct communication with the camera via the hotshoe or the off camera cord. If you are wanting something with remote or master/slave function then you are going to have to double or triple your budget for the 430EX or 580EX.

There are other manufactures that supply dedicated flash units. Metz makes good units as does Sunpac and Sigma. You would need to look at their line to see if there is anything in the price range you want to spend.
 
The 550EX also has master/slave functions, and a decent amount of tilt and swivel (though not as much as the 580EX II, but those things are freaking awesome). You can still find some of them, and they're cheaper than the new ones, and in terms of power, they're better than the 430s and just marginally less powerful than the 580s, but sure do give a lot of bang for your buck.

I say wait, and spend money on a good flash. Just make sure you can tilt and swivel the head, preferably by as much as possible (the 580s swivel 180 degrees and both directions...mmmm). If you don't, and thus can't bounce the flash off of nearby surfaces, you'll just be frustrated with its limitations.
 
I ended up finding a speedlite 430 Ex on Craigslist almost new, mint condition for $100.00. I figure that is the best deal I will find and definitaly more flash then I will know how to use correctly right now. It is something to learn with though.
 
Good choice. It tilts and swivels, which are probably the most important things to have.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom