What's new

Camera recommendations

Sowa

TPF Noob!
Joined
Aug 27, 2011
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
I'm considering replacing my Canon Rebel. I've had it for years now. I believe it's around 6 MP. Does that really make a difference in smaller photos you just see on your computer? I mean, would I notice a big difference between 6 or 18 MP? I'd probably print some out but not likely bigger then 8x12 or whatever.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking I'd need to stick with Canon as I have a telephoto lens and a macro which were a couple hundred each. I'm hoping to use them for the new one.

If you have pictures to show from a camera you're suggesting that would be great too.

I'm not extremely knowledgeable about camera functions, but I know some. I'm looking for something easy to learn to use. I love my Rebel, but would I ever notice a differce in the newer camera to spend that much money on a new camera?
 
8x10 or even 11x16 or 16x24 is very doable even with a 6mp camera. The Biggest advantage of newer cameras besides the higher megapixels that will give you a lot more room to crop (zoom) on the important elements in a composition with less loss of Details. Also most with newer sensor technology will give you a more usable in more situations camera. As in more usable images taken at higher ISO's like 1600 or 3200 as well as possible increased Dynamic Range which is always a plus.

Good Luck and take the time to learn some of the canon line as don't necessarily need the latest or greatest to get a significant increased performance camera over your Rebel.
.
 
don't forget to check out dpreview.com and flckr for example shots of almost every DSLR out there.
 
was thinking really hard about leaving Sony for Nikon, but now Im rethinking it. Sony A55 does 10 fps



httppsort.com/compare/Nikon_D90-vs-Sony_SLT-A55
And how often will you need 10 fps.

Unfortunately, the Sony also has in-the-camera image stabilization.

Sony SLT-A55 Review: 18. Conclusion & Samples: Digital Photography Review
Conclusion - Cons
  • Limited control in 10fps and movie modes
  • AF system not quite up to capturing fast action
  • No live view in 10fps/6fps shooting makes panning almost impossible
  • Slow (50 seconds) buffer clear time (RAW-mode)
  • Little control over high ISO noise reduction in JPEG mode ('auto' or 'weak')
  • Visible loss of detail at anything over ISO 400 in JPEG mode (noise reduction too strong)
  • Menu system a little confusing (hard to orientate yourself sometimes)
  • 'Ghosting' can be an issue in certain scenes (clipped specular highlights against dark backgrounds)
  • EVF slightly more prone to RGB 'tearing' than competitors
  • Image review not separately configurable for EVF and LCD
  • Awkward to navigate between stills and movie playback modes
  • LCD unusually prone to finger prints and smearing (reducing visibility in very bright light)
 
One of the challenges I faced when moving up in megapixels was the focusing. I found out there is no room for error. Initially I thought I made a huge mistake with my choice because I thought it was the camera. It wasn't. Don't want to scare you, just prepare you. So my suggestion would be to make sure you like the focusing options on what you are choosing.
 
I'm not extremely knowledgeable about camera functions, but I know some. I'm looking for something easy to learn to use. I love my Rebel, but would I ever notice a differce in the newer camera to spend that much money on a new camera?

They are all easy to use, if you just take the time to learn what all of the controls do, and then spend some time thinking and researching on why, when and how to use to the controls. A newer, bigger, better body will always have the potential to help you take better photos... but YOU are the creative force, the camera is just a tool. Learn to use the tool well, and then start getting creative.

Have you exhausted the possibilities of your Rebel? Probably not.... but a new body might also get you interested enough to really work at it also. You will notice a "difference" if you work at it... but if you use the same settings, same technique, same attitude with the new body, that you use with your Rebel, all you will have is the same pictures you do now, just at higher resolution, megapixels, etc....
 
What are the lenses that you currently have with your canon camera?


Also your canon lenses will not fit to a nikon camera body.
 
I have the 18-55 it comes with and a 60mm macro and 55-200mm. The extra one that comes with the T3 is maybe 70-300mm I believe anyway.
 
The 75-300 is a pretty bad lens. IMO it's the worst lens Canon currently manufactures. Your 55-200 is a better performing lens. The 18-55 kit you have now is pretty bad as well. Canon upgraded it several years ago and the current 18-55 IS performs very well for a kit lens. I would look at getting either of those with just the kit lens and be done with it. I wouldn't get all excited by packages that have all sorts of free stuff like bags, filters, etc. Mostly it's just junk.

A T2i would be worth looking into as well.
 
Last edited:
Hi all,

My first post and didn't want to open yet another thread as I'd be needing same advice as Sowa here.
I'm a photo noobie and have decided to acquire my 1st 'serious' camera. I've set aside cca 2,000$ (with B&H prices) and after months of saving and looking around i've got my eye fixed on EOS 7D body and am kindly asking for a recommendation on lens choice within the budget. My first choice would be 5D Mark II but i cannot afford it with a lens although i know our marriage would last long..

My request is somewhat complicated and I know one lens won't satisfy my preferences; my primary interest is nature/sea/landscapes but will have to use the same lens for animals (dogs) in natural surroindings and (i know...) sports (football, water sports).

So, I'm looking for a miraculous all-rounder for a small price, smart guy heh? :)

My pick as a noob was EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM mainly based on this review: Canon EF 70-300/4-5.6IS USM Lens Review as the author, who seems decades more experienced than I am, makes it his personal "walk around" favourite. It fits several categories; price (comes down to 450$ in a bundle on B6H, 2,000$ total), versatility... Then I saw subsuck's comment and it felt like a cold shower :)

Can I make a better combo for 2,000$? (P.S. I'm not a Canon-fan, better Nikon combo is also an option).

thx all
 
My comment was regarding the older, non IS 70-300, which I assumed the OP was referring to. The 70-300 you are looking at is a much more expensive, and better, lens. It replaced the 75-300 IS, which also wasn't a bad lens. IMHO, if you're going with a 7D, you need better than decent or good glass. The 7D is resolution hungry and cheaper lenses look like, well, cheaper lenses.
 
The 70-300 you are looking at is a much more expensive, and better, lens.
Better as in good enough and you won't regret buying it? :)
You are aware that my biggest problem is budget. On one hand i'm trying to buy a decent body which will serve me for years to come, one i will have a tough task of getting even close to it's potential. this takes money. On the other hand, I need a complete setup that will enable to me to shoot some photos. those two are hard to combine i know.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom