Camera Upgrade

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Eyetattoo, Nov 26, 2018.

?

Which New Camera?

1. D5300

33.3%
  2. D3500

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Neither, something else

66.7%
  1. Eyetattoo

Eyetattoo TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Looking to upgrade my D3000 and looking at either the D5300 or the D3500. Any insight on which I should choose or maybe another option? I use it mainly for sports photography and some nature photos. Thanks!

2. Jeff15

Jeff15 TPF junkie!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Why does it have to be Nikon ???

3. Eyetattoo

Eyetattoo TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Doesn't "have" to be but would be nice seeing as we have a telephoto lens for the Nikon.

4. ac12

ac12 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    What is your budget?
    Any reason for sticking to those 2 models?
    Are you shooting any indoor gym or outdoor night games under lights?
    This generally calls for HIGH ISO capability.​
    What lenses do you have?
    The lens you have affects how high you need to raise the ISO. A slow kit lens will require a higher ISO setting than a FAST pro or prime lens.​
    For the various sports, where are you sitting/positioned, relative to the players you are shooting?

5. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Ehhhh...D5300, or a used D7200. Stick with Nikon if you want to...it's a good camera maker....I've shot Nikon since the early 1980's, and Nikon d-slrs since 2001...I also spent about around $10,000 on a Canon 5D system and multiple L-glass lenses (24-105,70-200/2.8,135mm f/2), 20D and 5D bodies, 50/1.8,50/1.4,85/1.8,135-2.8 Soft Focus, 100/2.8 EF macro, Sigma 18-125 zoom, SB 580 EX-II...500D close-up lens....ehhhh....I sold almost all of that Canon stuff...still shooting Nikon...

6. Eyetattoo

Eyetattoo TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    More outdoor than indoor, on the sidelines for our sons football games. Indoor will be wrestling and basketball, again pretty close. All youth sports.

Budget would be under $900-$1,000.

Below are the lenses I have. 20181126_174006.jpeg 20181126_174022.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

7. greybeard

greybeard Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  8. ac12

ac12 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    How old is your son?
    I don't know how to interpret "youth sports," late elementary, middle school, or high school?
    Age affects how FAST they move; varsity high school moves a lot faster than pop-warner.
    Even in high school, there is a BIG difference between the freshman and the varsity teams, and the JV and varsity teams.

Is the football during the day or night?
    At my high school, football starts at 4:30pm for JV (transitions from sun to dark and under lights) and 7:30 for Varsity. So Varsity is always at night under lights :(
    If your son is in HS or close to it, he may end up playing at night under lights, so that should be a consideration.

Wresting is indoors but slower moving.
    Basketball is indoors and fast.

Both of your lenses should be OK, unless you push it.
    Neither lens is particularly good under low light conditions. But that is the nature of consumer lenses.
    The faster PRO lenses are generally more expensive, sometimes very EXPENSIVE. Though there are exceptions.

I would go with a D5600 or D7200.
    My own setup is: D7200 + 18-140.
    Or a D5600 + 18-140.
    Or buy the body alone, and use your old lenses.

I use the 18-140 on the football sidelines, for day games. It has enough reach to get almost across the field, and is wide enough to handle the action when they come close. But it is a bit slow for night games, where I have to crank up the ISO to 12800.
    Your 55-300 would work fine on the field, except when they come in close. Similar to the 18-140 it will be fine during the day, but will struggle in night games.

While I have used the 18-140 in the gym, I was fighting the low light. I had to raise the ISO to 12800. Your 18-55 will work also, at a high ISO.
    For basketball, I would get either:
    • The Nikon 35/1.8 prime lens (this is the lens that I currently use for basketball on my D7200)
    • Tamron 17-50/2.8 zoom. (The similar Sigma lens, the zoom ring turns in the opposite direction than Nikon zooms, confusing :confused:).
    Either lens should work for wrestling also. But it has been years since I shot high school wrestling.

If you get the D5600 body only, you will have enough left to buy the Tamron 17-50/2.8 and meet your budget.
    And use your 55-300 for daytime football.

My own preference, as I bought it, is the D7200.

9. Eyetattoo

Eyetattoo TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Great info! Our oldest is in 6th grade so 2 more years of pop warner, 1 year in the day, 1 half day half night. Our High School also plays under the lights. Our youngest is only 6 and will start playing next season or ne next.

In looking at each camera I'm learning towards the D5600 because of the articulating screen for when we want to video or take pictures of us.

10. Solarflare

Solarflare No longer a newbie, moving up!

According to your signature you already have a D5300 ?!?

In your shoes I would go for a used D7100 and upgrade the glas to an AF-S 17-55mm f2.8 DX.

11. Dao

Dao No longer a newbie, moving up!

Is there something with your current setup that you want to improve? Did you came across some issue or difficulty to capture some photos you want or photos did not come out as you expected?

Upgrade can solve some problem. That include camera body, lens, lights and accessories as well as knowledge.

If your nature photo require a wider view or longer reach, a lens upgrade may help. (Lens with shorter focal length for wider view and longer focal length for longer reach)

If your sports photo can reach the subject fine but it is either blur or noisy, then a lens or camera upgrade could help. (Newer camera handle noise better so that you can shoot with higher ISO with faster shutter speed or a faster lens, a lens with wider aperture, can gather more light at a given time so that you can shoot with faster shutter speed and still able to obtain a correct exposure)
    Noise comparison at higher ISO (They do not have D3000, so I choose the D3200 in the following link)
    Studio shot comparison: Digital Photography Review

Sometimes, I do like to have a top camera display for convenience so that I can change some settings easier and faster. That means a higher end camera such as the D7xxx series from Nikon mentioned above.

12. Eyetattoo

Eyetattoo TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

Main reasons for wanting to upgrade are:

Would like to be able to capture video as well as pictures.

Sometimes the camera misses the focal point at our kids sporting events. (focus set on a player, camera focuses in on yard markers/fans on opposite side of the field)

Buffering on our D3000 is a issue for burst shots.

No live screen or articulating screen on the D3000.