Camera Upgrade

Which New Camera?

• Total voters
You are swaying towards the 5600. I had the 3100 and really liked it, the 5600 is better in a lot of areas, high iso and resolution,cso it's a good camera (in my opinion)

I think you would do better with a d7200 all around but it's more expensive and has no swivel screen.

I would suggest you sell your Nikon 55-300 and but either a Tamron 70-300mm USD or Nikon's new dx 70-300 af-p. The lens you have is a nice imager but one of the slowest lenses available to autofocus, reducing your hit rate when used for any spoets
Ok thanks! Is that new Nikon lens you mention the one in this package? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MR2D0OG/ref=twister_B01N0XD2J3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

NO !!!

The problem with that package is the 70-300 is not a VR lens.
IMHO, the longer the lens the more you need VR (Vibration Reduction). It makes it easier to aim and get a steady image at longer focal lengths.
These packages are put together to meet a price point, not always for a good lens combo.

Note, the AF-P lens will NOT work on your D3000. It needs a later model camera, like the D3400/3500, D5600, D7500
It will work with reduced functions on some cameras like the D7200.
Your D3000 can only use AF-S lenses.

If you buy the lens separate, you really want to make sure that you buy a US lens.
There are MANY vendors selling gray market lenses. If the lens ever fails and needs repair, Nikon USA will NOT repair a grey market lens. At which point you just have an expensive paper weight. However you can also go 10+ years without a problem.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Here's another vote for the D7200. You can pick a pristine used D7200 in the $500 range. Have been using mine for a few years now and you can not beat the quality and versatility in Nikon bodies for the price. You might want to look at Adorama.com and search for "used D7200 camera". Stay with the E-, E, E+ condition qualifiers and if it doesn't work out, you can return it.

You are swaying towards the 5600. I had the 3100 and really liked it, the 5600 is better in a lot of areas, high iso and resolution,cso it's a good camera (in my opinion)

I think you would do better with a d7200 all around but it's more expensive and has no swivel screen.

I would suggest you sell your Nikon 55-300 and but either a Tamron 70-300mm USD or Nikon's new dx 70-300 af-p. The lens you have is a nice imager but one of the slowest lenses available to autofocus, reducing your hit rate when used for any spoets
Ok thanks! Is that new Nikon lens you mention the one in this package? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MR2D0OG/ref=twister_B01N0XD2J3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

NO !!!

The problem with that package is the 70-300 is not a VR lens.
IMHO, the longer the lens the more you need VR (Vibration Reduction). It makes it easier to aim and get a steady image at longer focal lengths.
These packages are put together to meet a price point, not always for a good lens combo.

Note, the AF-P lens will NOT work on your D3000. It needs a later model camera, like the D3400/3500, D5600, D7500
It will work with reduced functions on some cameras like the D7200.
Your D3000 can only use AF-S lenses.

If you buy the lens separate, you really want to make sure that you buy a US lens.
There are MANY vendors selling gray market lenses. If the lens ever fails and needs repair, Nikon USA will NOT repair a grey market lens. At which point you just have an expensive paper weight. However you can also go 10+ years without a problem.

The Tamron 70-300 USD has vc, tamrons version of vr.

I was suggesting upgrading lens if d5600 was purchased

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Main reasons for wanting to upgrade are:

Would like to be able to capture video as well as pictures.

Sometimes the camera misses the focal point at our kids sporting events. (focus set on a player, camera focuses in on yard markers/fans on opposite side of the field)

Buffering on our D3000 is a issue for burst shots.

No live screen or articulating screen on the D3000.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

- Video capturing, personally I prefer using a separate camera. It depends on the type of video you are interesting in. For documentary type video such as recording a birthday party or a soccer game, a regular video cam or a point and shoot camera with decent reach maybe better. Some of those even can record 4K video (2017 Roundup: Consumer Long Zoom Compacts). Earlier this year, I bought a Sony RX-10 camera that can reach 600mm. And my wife is mainly use that for video recording of my daughter's orchestra event. And if the event allow (some of them do not allow flash photography or any photography), I may take few snaps with my DSLR.
However, if you only want to using one device to record both video and photos, then just pick one that support video.

- As for Burst shots issue, are you shooting in RAW? Shooting with JPEG format may help. Of course, upgrading camera is also an option. However, I will agree with the other forum member, learn how to shoot in sporting events and gain experience for sure will help a lot. Otherwise, even with the new camera, you may end up with more out of focus photos.

- How important with the Live and articulating screen? I can understand with video recording with the live view, but I like using the viewfinder for photo taking especially for heavy setup.

I think jumping from D3000 to D5300 is definitely a upgrade, and jumping to D7200 or newer for sure a nice upgrade. My personal choice will be the later. And I will say going from D3000 to D3500 is just a camera replacement or maaaayyyybeeee a nice camera replacement.

BTW, the AF mode trade-off.

With single point AF, I can pick out a specific player in a mass of players.

But, on a quick subject switch (to the receiver), it can be/is hard to nail the new subject. I have to put the AF point right on the subject (receiver).
That is where zone AF comes in. As long as the new subject (the receiver) is in the AF zone, the zone AF will focus on the new subject for you. IF there is no other player for the AF to focus on.

There is no free lunch.
Each mode has its advantage and disadvantage.
It is up to YOU to choose the appropriate AF mode for what you are shooting.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back