cameras in the rain

Dweller

Inconspicuous Supporter
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Inspired by Rob A's thread about Cameras in the cold, I wanted to ask about how you handle rain.

My last trip out was in the rain. I was looking for some shots of wet streets and things like that but it was showery so it would rain for a while, then stop raining for a while... more than once I found myself far from my car and it would start raining again.

The camera I use is a Canon AE-1 Program and as tough as this camera is I am thinking that rain is not on the list of things its designed to handle hehe

So what do you guys do when you find yourself in the rain and needing a picture?

I also found an issue with my 70-200 fogging up when I got back to the warm car, but have some tips now about how to handle that.

Carry an umbrella :p If it's windy and you find yourself and camera still getting wet, bring a plastic bag and put it over the camera. Cut or rip a small hole for the lens to poke through. Use a lens hood.

A plastic bag or a shower cap can be easily wrapped around the camera...leaving only the business end of the lens exposed. You might have trouble focusing with a bag on the lens barrel though. A small hole cut out for the viewfinder might also be needed.

Not guaranteed to keep your camera dry in a rain storm but it should help.

Get a poor weather dedicated camera. Something all mechanical and cheap. For 35mm film I use Pentax Spotmatics. They are available cheap, built like a tank, 100% mechanical (except the meter), and take great photos.

I have a raincover that I use that covers the camera and has a tight ring around the lens so that only the front optics are exposed - to be honest it makes the camera very difficult to use and changing film almost impossible.

Generally I find that a small towel does the job and since the AE1 is pretty much bulletproof should do you just fine.

However having read Matts advice above I have an old Pentax that does the job very well that I usually use for Street work (so it doesnt really get noticed and certainly never gets stolen) - however I may just try it in the rain next time.

Spike

spike000 said:
I have an old Pentax that does the job very well that I usually use for Street work (so it doesnt really get noticed and certainly never gets stolen) - however I may just try it in the rain next time.

And the great thing about the old cameras is they are solid metal. Even if someone is willing to try and steal a $30 camera, you can bonk them over the head with it, and the camera would probably still work. ;)

I have a rain sleeve as SPIKE000 mentioned. I enjoy working in the rain & found it quite easy to handle the camera under this cover...Very inexpensive and well worth the few dollars as long as you don't mind getting yet :)

I do not think it is a good idea for digging up this over 7 years old thread.

I always carry a cheap rain coat in my camera bag. The last time I was caught in a heavy rain, I was trapped in a little cannoe with no where to go! Luckily I had my rain coat with me but I am still soak.

You never know when it is going to rain here in South East Asia.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
This, handsfree umbrella.

Most reactions

Back