Can anyone dissuade me from getting a DSLR?

jakehinds

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey there guys, I am looking into getting a dslr, either the Nikon d5100 or the 3200. I'll be getting a refurb, so it'll come out to around 479$ with the kit lens which is the 18-55. The thing is, is my parents are paying for part of it because it's a birthday gift, and they keep showing me point and shoots. The thing with DSLR's is, I like how you can control everything, and especially the long shutter speed(up to 30s). For some reason, I enjoy how big it is compared to a p&s, It's like It feels more secure in my hands. But is there a p&s that can compare to the cameras I said above? Preferably around 479, on the cheaper end:sexywink:. Again, the more I can control, the better, preferably capable of slow shutter speeds, manual focus would be nice.

Hey there guys, I am looking into getting a dslr, either the Nikon d5100 or the 3200. I'll be getting a refurb, so it'll come out to around 479$ with the kit lens which is the 18-55. The thing is, is my parents are paying for part of it because it's a birthday gift, and they keep showing me point and shoots. The thing with DSLR's is, I like how you can control everything, and especially the long shutter speed(up to 30s). For some reason, I enjoy how big it is compared to a p&s, It's like It feels more secure in my hands. But is there a p&s that can compare to the cameras I said above? Preferably around 479, on the cheaper end:sexywink:. Again, the more I can control, the better, preferably capable of slow shutter speeds, manual focus would be nice.

If you want a DSLR, get a DSLR. That's what I did. My parents gave me some money, and I paid the difference. With DSLR's, you are going to enjoy the lens interchangeability (is that a word) a lot more. A P&S is limiting here... You said you like that it's bigger, and you like the manual control. These seem to be the main reasons of getting a P&S. Get a DSLR. You'll regret it if you don't.

Theres pretty much no point in getting a point and shoot instead of a dslr for the same amount of money, unless:

1) You want to take it underwater primarily, or
2) You NEED to be able to fit it in your pocket

DSLRs have more serious features, they have swappable lenses for the future of your hobbying, they have much larger sensors and image quality, and they allow you to see everything OPTICALLY through the lens due to the mirror system. They also allow the light meter and autofocus to see things optically through the lens, so AF and light metering are more accurate than point and shoots.

^^ Pretty much what they've all said - If you are, or will become seriously interested in photography, even the best P&S will become very limiting, very quickly, and you really can't beat a price like that; less than many of the good P&S and bridge cameras. Yes, we are enablers! ;)

DON'T DO IT!

As soon as that black polycarbonate hits your hand you'll start thinking 'I should turn pro' which isn't as bad as 'I should write a book' or 'I should get married' but it's PRETTY BAD.

It's a drug. First you get the entry-level body with the kit lens, then you want an off-camera flash. Follow that up with a couple of fast, sharp primes, and before you know it, you're lusting for a full frame body and the trinity. ;)

You want us to try to dissuade you from getting a DSLR?....weird but ok.

Soon enough you will find that you want a few more options in your bag to cover the focal lengths and get some cool shots, so you'll bust a few hundred bucks get a couple of new lenses. After you've boight these you'll decide that you need sharper faster lenses, a tripod, an off camera flash setup, nd filters, macro lenses, reflectors, softboxes and by the time you've got a decent amount of gear that you need to upgrade to a new full frame body. It can cost thousands of $$ as DSLR gear is not cheap, and you've just realised that only the brst gear will do!

Or you could just spend a couple of hundred quid on a p&s and be happy with the gear you have.

Your wife will leave you, your hair will fall out and there is a good chance your wedding tackle will no longer work.

That help?

Sorry, you have asked the wrong group of photography enthusiasts.

[...] But is there a p&s that can compare to the cameras I said above? [...]
No. Low priced DSLRs like the D5100 have the best value for money ratio, and simply can do things no p&s could never do.

P&S are completely different. They cant change lens, they have much worse controls, and their image quality is inferior (not as good optics, less reserves for low light, less dynamic range, possibly no RAW format etc).

P&S are however small and lightweight. You can have them with you at any time. Thats why I still have a P&S, even if I have DSLRs, too.

Sorry, you have asked the wrong group of photography enthusiasts.
There is no right group of this kind ... he would have to ask some group that is NOT people who like photography.

If your going to buy a DSLR, don't by anything less than a

Hasselblad H5D-60, everything else is garbage.... :)

Happy Birthday, Jake! I guess I'm the contrarian here. For about the same price as a refurb'd DSLR with a 3x zoom, you can get a new Panasonic FZ200 bridge camera (bigger than a P&S and almost as big as a D3200), with all of the control you could ever want (to include 60 second exposures if you prefer) - plus a 24x constant f2.8 lens that would cost you at least a thousand dollars on a DSLR. No, you wouldn't be able to change lenses - but you wouldn't need to :)

My first camera, 40 years ago, was a film SLR - but I would start with something like the FZ200 today. It is a lot more capability for the money.

Here is the image quality it can produce: Flickr: The Panasonic FZ 200 - Successor to the FZ 150 Pool

Good luck with your decision,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The advantage of getting a camera that allows you more control, future lens options and one you will be happier with outweigh a camera you can stick in a drawer and pretend to take pictures with. There are some very good point and shoot cameras out there, but I don't think it's really what you want.

If you do get the dslr, please don't come back on here in a month and ask how to start a full time business.

I'll be getting a refurb, so it'll come out to around 479$
So get it, use it, and at some point down the road you are convinced it is not right for you can sell it and get practically all of your money back. Small risk factor here.

Most reactions

Back