Can you overclock your camera?

but in sports, you need that 10fps to get that right fram.
No, you don't.

10 fps has only been available for a couple years. Sports photographers have been around for 100 years. It wasn't even that long ago that they didn't even have autofocus to help them.

Any monkey can hold down a shutter button while the camera fires away like a machine gun, hoping to get the best shot. But with skill, knowledge and talent, a good photographer can snap their shot at just the right time.

Yep, the first sports I shot were with a fully manual camera. Manual focus was the only game in town, and the fps rate depended how fast you could move your thumb on the crank lever to advance film. You had to stop and change film rolls every 36 exposures and keep track of which roll was and wasn't exposed.

What a kick it was to eventually get a motor winder and a 100 frame bulk back. We be stylin'

I'm thinking maybe the OP meant overclocking as in boosting the ISO speed of the sensor - in which case the answer is yes. I saw a thread recently about a 'hacked' firmware for the 400d/rebel xti that allows 3200 ISO. I also understand that if you can find a way to cool the sensor then you will get less noise - this is the case with all electronics as noise is a function of semiconductor junction temperature. In this respect, it is like overclocking a computer, where you have to improve the CPU cooling.

I'm thinking maybe the OP meant overclocking as in boosting the ISO speed of the sensor - in which case the answer is yes. I saw a thread recently about a 'hacked' firmware for the 400d/rebel xti that allows 3200 ISO. I also understand that if you can find a way to cool the sensor then you will get less noise - this is the case with all electronics as noise is a function of semiconductor junction temperature. In this respect, it is like overclocking a computer, where you have to improve the CPU cooling.
He said he meant:

I guess what I meant FPS. Like 10+ frames a second. I'm only at like 5.6 with my 50d.

Most reactions

Back