Can you start of a successful business with this camera?

Thomas Casey

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Cannon 1200d with a 50mm 1.8 lens

What would you suggest for Baby photoshoots?

In a word...no.

As an amateur of many years, my perception of a true photography professional is one that can handle any, I repeat, ANY, lighting situation. Back lit, shooting into the sun, in the depths of a cave, a single candle for illumination, you name it. A professional not only has the knowledge and skill to recognize, shoot, and produce good results under these situations, but a professional also has the appropriate gear, from tripods, multiple lights, redundant/backup gear, etc. In short, I perceive you have none of the 'requirements' needed to be a true pro.

On the other hand, it's long been stated, and proven conclusively, it's not the gear, it's the photographer. These days, acceptable, and perhaps even marketable quality photographs can be taken with one of the newer cellphones in the market today. High-end point-and-shoot cameras are a step up from that, and entry-level DSLR gear a step up from that. But too often, someone with a DSLR thinks they can immediately start taking pictures and selling them...but, to WHOM?

The other side, and perhaps the 'bigger' side of a successful photography business is all the non-click-and-print side of running a business, from legal issues, accounting, taxes, insurance(s), advertising, space costs, and much more. Knowing or finding out the 'cost of doing business' and pricing your work to not only pay the bills, but put something in your pocket is what separates a 'professional business' from an 'occasional extra income on the side'.

In short, there's nothing preventing you or someone else from selling photos you have taken. The 'trick' is finding someone willing to pay what you think they are worth, on a sufficiently recurring frequency to make a living at it.

I've taken some very, um, contemporary baby pictures with equivalent great.

That's not the same as running a business though.

Any courses you know of that is worth taking?

I would focus on reading as much as you can online and spending time using your camera before you even start to worry about going into business. I don't mean to sound harsh but if you're asking this question on here, you aren't anywhere near ready.

Any courses you know of that is worth taking?

I would focus on reading as much as you can online and spending time using your camera before you even start to worry about going into business. I don't mean to sound harsh but if you're asking this question on here, you aren't anywhere near ready.

I totally agree, you have just made me realised, if I dont understand much about the camera and lighting how the hell am I going to start a business, Cheers dude.

Do you have a Facebook fan page?

Just 1 'n' - Canon LOL.

Canons go - click, click, click.
Cannons go - BOOM! BOOM! BOOM!

A successful business could be had using a Canon T5 (US name) (EOS Kiss X70 in Japan, 1200D in the rest of the world).
If the business owner has sufficient business skills.
There are talented photographers out there using top-of-the-line camera equipment that are not capable of running a successful photography business because they have no business skills.

I've taken some very, um, contemporary baby pictures with equivalent great.

That's not the same as running a business though.

Have you now?

What you need to start your business:

Get market research done.
Get a lawyer.
Get an accountant.
Get a banker.
Get one years' worth of income saved up.
Get a business plan.
Get a balance sheet.
Get good credit.
Get advertising.
Get customers.
Get going.

A professional photographer could use a canon 1200d with the proper lenses and do pretty much whatever they need to do, within reason. Much like a professional guitarist could use a cheap guitar in a pinch to get through a gig if his/hers good one got trashed. Professional photographers often keep a camera like a 1200d around as a backup in just in case both of their pro models go down or get lost. There are however, a lot of people these days using entry level equipment charging money for pictures today.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back