Can you start of a successful business with this camera?

All it takes is one fine!

But I don't know you or your business, maybe you're on top of it enough to avoid fine territory.
Just to ad. Too poor to worry about the idealist technicalities as well. Geez man, i am a poor schmoe. Kids to feed and college funds to put money in to. I have to start paying out family medical coming up there goes a couple k a month right there. Already have a 1400 dollar bill sitting here on my current medical plan. Frig the accountant. All comes down to food on the table and what comes in the door.
You're not exactly making the case that you were actually very successful at making and running and growing a business, with that description of your current state of affairs. Great to have you doling out your advice to others though, I guess...
Market condtions and some unfortunate losses. I got out of it for the most part. Could have stayed at it but with a family to support i wanted less hours and a more guaranteed check. I was always working before. Always gone. Everyone wants their cut, not careful you end up working to pay everyone else. i would actually prefer to work for someone else. Keep in mind too, i had a stroke like ten months ago too. My wife dont work. I am the income. I think the fact i have been running negative for ten months and i still have a roof says something. Not a lot of people that can go a year or more running in the red without working and without getting really paid anything.

Especially with my overhead. The costs of supporting and running a household really becomes apparent when you barely have anything coming in. The fact i am basically going to go over a year taking photos and hanging out online still covering a household and other expenses says something. Lot of people cant do that.

Last edited:
If you have to ask, you're not ready.

I can guarantee that an experienced photographer would be more than capable of starting a business with this camera and lens.

At the same time, he or she would be very limited and his or her skill would be pushed. A good photographer though isn't limited by gear (or lighting or location) but by what he or she is capable of.

This isn't to say you have the skill to start a business. I don't know if you do or not. There are naturally talented photographers, but people like this are rare.

Honestly, if you have what it takes go for it. But really, look at examples and ask yourself if you can deliver the kind of quality that is out there. Now, ask yourself if you can deliver that kind of quality with the limitations of a consumer-grade body and a decent (but not great) lens - without multiple off-camera lights, a studio with props, etc.

Yes. If you are VERY good you can get away with very little. But you have to be pretty damn good.

Now if you don't feel that you meet this criteria, I know what you're thinking: you'll improve with experience. And it's true, all of us gain experience and get better on the job. But there is a difference between getting experience on the job and having people pay you to practice. Again, if you can deliver truly professional results, then go for it. My guess is though, you probably don't. It's a pretty tall order, one that many professionals who rely on their gear likely couldn't fill.

My suggestion though is that in the meantime you find a wide variety of subjects to work with, take photos for friends and family, interesting things, animals, whatever.

And don't spend too much time on TPF.

Last edited:
Photography and a successful business are both different things

I can guarantee that an experienced photographer would be more than capable of starting a business with this camera and lens.

At the same time, he or she would be very limited and his or her skill would be pushed. A good photographer though isn't limited by gear (or lighting or location) but by what he or she is capable of.

This isn't to say you have the skill to start a business. I don't know if you do or not. There are naturally talented photographers, but people like this are rare.

Honestly, if you have what it takes go for it. But really, look at examples and ask yourself if you can deliver the kind of quality that is out there. Now, ask yourself if you can deliver that kind of quality with the limitations of a consumer-grade body and a decent (but not great) lens - without multiple off-camera lights, a studio with props, etc.

Yes. If you are VERY good you can get away with very little. But you have to be pretty damn good.

Now if you don't feel that you meet this criteria, I know what you're thinking: you'll improve with experience. And it's true, all of us gain experience and get better on the job. But there is a difference between getting experience on the job and having people pay you to practice. Again, if you can deliver truly professional results, then go for it. My guess is though, you probably don't. It's a pretty tall order, one that many professionals who rely on their gear likely couldn't fill.

My suggestion though is that in the meantime you find a wide variety of subjects to work with, take photos for friends and family, interesting things, animals, whatever.

And don't spend too much time on TPF.

I have seen many successful businesses where the photographer don't have skill nor good equipment.

I have seen many successful businesses where the photographer don't have skill nor good equipment.
they succeed by protecting their turf, bribing the right people and having the right connections.

I think a "successful" photographer is one who delivers a professional product, not just a hack who gets clients.

I agree with some of what's been written here. Starting and maintaining a successful photography business, in the grand scheme of things has very little to do with the equipment and to a certain degree, even the quality of work of the photographer. That may surprise some people.

I know of a few photographers in my local area alone, who run their own business and to be perfectly frank, their work is abysmal - despite the fact some even have degrees in photography. A lot of them just seem to rely on the fact that most people are just wowed by a sharp photo with shallow depth of field and trumped by the sentimentality of their loved ones being in the photos.

That, right there is a winning formula for a lot of low end "professional" work. They get paid for it, so it's professional by that definition alone. I certainly wouldn't class it high quality that's for sure. Some of these photographers have been at it for decades and I've seen their work hanging on the walls of friends and family members. Limbs cut off, exposures a couple of stops over, focus completely missed. DSLR. Flash. Job done. Thank you very much. The monkey who stole the camera and took the selfie that went viral, did a far more impressive job, trust me!

Starting and maintaining a business is about good marketing, engaging with your customers and meeting their expectations. So long as you do that, they don't care about what gear you own or use. If all you are doing is shooting newborns/kids in a studio environment, the 1200D would work absolutely fine. It's a tool. A relatively basic one compared to a lot of DSLR out there but it will get the job done. If you were planning on starting a wedding photography business with it, I'd say no, purely because of the locations and lighting conditions you would come up against. You could get yourself into some very hot water, very quickly. In a home studio environment though, you can have complete control over the backdrop, the lighting and the composition. All you need to do is capture the decisive moment. You don't require a 1Dx or 5DMKIII for that.

You could buy a top of the line camera. Drop $5k on a body and glass but just because you have a good camera, doesn't mean your images are going to be great. That's like me buying an expensive set of pots and pans and expecting to be Master Chef 2015. Yet strangely people assume a correlation between equipment and calibre of the work that just isn't there. People confuse image quality (sharpness, depth of field, colour, etc) with the quality of the image. A sharp photo with a blurred background does not automatically a good image make. Yes, the well renowned photographers we are all familiar with, tend use professional gear. The reason for that is that it expands the boundaries they can push and it makes their job easier. As some have already mentioned above, give those professionals an entry level camera and they'll still produce great results. For anyone in doubt, go watch a few episodes of Digital Rev TV in the "Pro Photographer Challenge".

Along with the 1200D, I would invest in some lighting equipment. That and backdrop/props are pretty much all you need to start taking baby photos (aside from any business license, insurances and police checks that may be required due to working with children). The most important thing you need, is an understanding of the fundamentals of photography. How the camera works so you can control your exposure. Then understand how light works and how to manipulate and control it. Then comes composition, creativity/artistry and bringing your own photographic and post processing style. The latter will come in due course.

Overwhelmingly though, it's not all about the camera. Some of my best photographs came from the Nikon D90 and the 50mm f/1.8D. What is between your ears is a far more valuable tool than anything you can buy, put it that way. I have written a lot of articles and guides on my site that cover many topics from buying your first DSLR, the basics of exposure, flash, lighting styles, to the more creative and philosophical aspects of photography. They may prove useful to you, as they have helped many others in the past.

I think as business you need a backup camera as well - especially if you plan to do event photography.

huh??

I can't help but think of the industry of automotive paint correction. I would much rather have an experienced detailer polish my vehicles with dollar store products than have an average "hack", professional or not, with high end boutique products even come near my daily driver!

Detailing is similar to photography in that aspect. It takes many years of trial and error before one can truly even consider being at the pinnacle of their field.

EDIT: JairusMarl........ Those images make me dizzy! ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back