Candid Family Shots - Tips

kirbym2

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi Everyone,

Have some friends looking for some "non-posed" family shots. Most of anything I've ever done has been posed - I may be making too much of it, but not 100% on how to approach this. I'll probably spend a couple hours with the family at an outdoor location of choice (aiming for later afternoon so the lighting isn't as harsh).

I'd welcome any tips/lens suggestions. Would really like to capture natural looking family/individual candids, so would appreciate any insight.

Thanks!

If it's parents and child/children, then have them walk around as a group, parents watching children playing. One parent playing w/ one child, vise-versa. Make sure you ask them if there are specific shots they would like; I recently did a shoot like this where the clients wanted to recreate an image from their wedding, but with the child.

it is called family photojournalism (PJ). It is very hard I think.

Great suggestions... do you think I'd be too close with my 50mm 1.4... should I look to borrow something where I can get a bit further back?

I'm not sure it's any more difficult that any other aspect of photography, but it definitely requires constant attention by the photographer and an intuiative sense of timing. I missed several shots that would have been outstanding captures because I allowed myself to become distracted by something.

Great suggestions... do you think I'd be too close with my 50mm 1.4... should I look to borrow something where I can get a bit further back?
I would bring everything you had available. I found my 70-200 was the most useful lens for the shoot I did.

now see this is the type of photography I LOVE!! I am not much posey posey ( i need a book for it) I majored in education worked with kids for years!! I'm a kid at heart. Now I am a noobie BUT! Kids is something I do know!! Depending on the age get down on their level!! A 1yr old learning to walk is not gonna be looking at the camera, she/he is gonna be looking at the ground to where they are walking. Get to know the kids and the family. The funnier and down to earth you are with the kids the more they will loosen up to ya. Go to a nice place where the kids will find fun. I always found parks and even parks without playgrounds like woodies parks are fun for kids. Ask to play hide and go seek, red light green light, simon says. you can really get some fun shots! AHHHH! an area I can comment in has just boosted myself esteem lol!! thank you! I have always liked using my basic 55-200mm lens (kit lens, yea i know) but I how I had room to move not like a 50mm where u gotta move move move to try to get it. Also have the kids help u, they love to get into it!! make them ur assistant, seriously they get a super kick outta it!! and have them be the boss on what they think will be agood pose and honestly some of the goofiest poses are the ones the parents pick b/c its a memory :)

now see this is the type of photography I LOVE!! I am not much posey posey...
Be careful here, while you may not be posing them in the traditional sense, your direction is critical; "Joey, move to your right, you're blocking Bobby", "Dad, you need to get closer", "Mom, look toward Bobby"... those little queues make the difference between a bunch of snapshots in a park and an outdoor family portrait session.

Thanks @tirediron - I think you're getting what I'm up against (and what I'm envisioning)... The parents have asked for "non-posed", but to me these are "posed, but not posed" shots. I was thinking something like a 70-200 or an 85 (I can borrow either). I'm wanting to capture "moments" not just snapshots, and I think a little bit of direction will be necessary. Thanks for the insight!

now see this is the type of photography I LOVE!! I am not much posey posey...
Be careful here, while you may not be posing them in the traditional sense, your direction is critical; "Joey, move to your right, you're blocking Bobby", "Dad, you need to get closer", "Mom, look toward Bobby"... those little queues make the difference between a bunch of snapshots in a park and an outdoor family portrait session.

So true! after each time I photograph friends/family I write the pros and cons of how it went. I can def tell u FOR SURE I suck at giving direction! i know what I want but I dont say it! This is a huge area I need to better myself in. I'm easy going and out going BUT for some reason behind the camera I shut up. I know I could do better if I did stuff like that.

If I had to use ONE lens for a family PJ, it is probably a 35L with a FF, and 24L with a crop or full frame. You need to capture what is going on around the subject especially indoor.

If I had to use ONE lens for a family PJ, it is probably a 35L with a FF, and 24L with a crop or full frame. You need to capture what is going on around the subject especially indoor.
My concerns with such a short FL would be (1) That I would be too close to them, and thus interfering simply because I was a visible presence, whereas when I'm shooting in the 150-200mm range, I can be well back and away from the action, and (2) The excess DoF inherent in shorter FL lenses. Not saying it's not a perfectly valid technique, just not sure it's the way I would approach it.

Yeah just follow them around for a while at the park or something. This is easy money yo. but make sure to take them out at a good time of the day.

I respectfully disagree. Getting an interesting image by following them around is hard. If you are not creative with your angles and framing, most of the shots will be snapshotish(is that a word?) and not anything special.

Yeah just follow them around for a while at the park or something. This is easy money yo. but make sure to take them out at a good time of the day.

I'll take the liberty of assuming from that statement that you've never actually done this. This is most definitely NOT easy; in fact, it is probably in general, a lot more difficult than a studio shoot, especially if small children are involved.

Most reactions

Back