Candid Shots

Dubie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A two part question

First, I love taking photo's of people. I love being out on the town and catching great candid shots but because I don't have the right lens, a zoom, it's tough. I have a 28 80 mm D lens hat came with the camera and I want something that I can be far away and get shots.

second, has anyone ever been harrassed about taking photos of people in public.

Without knowing what lens mount you have, I can say almost every line carries a number of 70-300mm zoom lenses that are pretty good for walkaround telephoto. Keep in mind, though, the bigger the zoom lens, the more conspicuous you're going to be; my Sigma 70-300mm DG + the lens hood weighs in at an even 12" (including the body) at 300mm.

Which leads into the second part of the question; yeah, there is a good chance you'll get harassed if you indiscriminately take photos of people in public without their permission. Some people just don't like being photographed without their consent, and that is something you'll have to deal with. Either be discrete about it, or get permission, that'll be your decision to make.

I used to live in Seattle, and almost every time I went out, at least one person would come up to me and ask me what I was doing, and than proceed to tell me to stop. One guy even threatened to stab me.

My most used lens when I was photographing downtown was my 24-120 VR. Since you're using the Nikon mount, I'd suggest the 18-200 VR. It gives your much more reach than your 28-80, and gets much wider as well. VR rally is indispensable on the streets since you'll most often not be able to carry a tripod, or won't want to carry one.

There are few of the shots I made of the streets that would have been able to catch without VR. 1/8th of a second at 24mm, hand held, is just fantastic.

I second the 18-200 VR idea. It is an excellent lens for shooting street.

Thanks a lot all you! That really helps. :D

A two part question

First, I love taking photo's of people. I love being out on the town and catching great candid shots but because I don't have the right lens, a zoom, it's tough. I have a 28 80 mm D lens hat came with the camera and I want something that I can be far away and get shots.

No, but I have done a lot of journalistic photography. If you pick a location where there are a lot of cameras around in the summertime, people will ignore you. Also planning carefully is helpful too. Go light with the most appropriate camera and zoom lens. Where dark clothing with a black camera and lens. Stick to the shadow area of the street and don't be obvious. Look like you are taking photos of buildings or landmarks rather than people. Learn to shoot without the camera at eye level, using a tilt LCD screen. I use a very good superzoom for street photography and have never been harassed by either the public or security either outside or even inside buildings and even hospitals.

skieur

Holy Smokes that's expensive! Cheaper than a new saddle but is there another lens that is comprible(sp) to this for less or do I have to start saving my nickels and dimes? lol oh and it's a Nikon N60 film camera not digital.

For a film? Consider looking at the 18-135mm If the 18-200 is out of your price range. It's actually sharper, the downside is no VR.

If you want good candids ... People are paranoid of the "Big Black Camera". BUT if you have a nice friendly compact... THAT is a totally different matter. A top of the range creative compact will be about the same price as a lens and help you out no end.

Also If you look at someone, then point a huge 300mm at their face (even from what you consider to be a distance), they will get nervous. Get quite close with a wide angle (I used to favour a 24mm f2.8 Rokkor) . frame according to the rule of thirds. and they will think you are looking past them to photograph something else..(you can crop the print to suit at a later date).
If all else fails . apologise for the intrusion (even if you don't mean it), and walk slowly away. there will be many other opportunities...

Holy Smokes that's expensive! Cheaper than a new saddle but is there another lens that is comprible(sp) to this for less or do I have to start saving my nickels and dimes? lol oh and it's a Nikon N60 film camera not digital.
Look at the 24-120VR, it's not a DX lens, and it works brilliantly on my N80.

A lot of people today didn't realize I was taking their picture because my polarizing filter looked like a lens cap kinda (dark and solid in appearance).
Then utilizing no shutter lag, I'd lift to my eye, -click- and back at my side.

i've found that if i'm wearing my college ID on a lanyard around my neck, people will not interrogate me. If i don't have my lanyard/id on me, it's a totally different story and I get curious stares and people will ask me what i'm doing, not to take photos, etc.

If you're a college student, having your ID on a lanyard around your neck really helps to put people at ease. It's magic.

I guess it kind of communicates authority or permission having some kind of ID like that ? whatever reason, it works.

i've found that if i'm wearing my college ID on a lanyard around my neck, people will not interrogate me. If i don't have my lanyard/id on me, it's a totally different story and I get curious stares and people will ask me what i'm doing, not to take photos, etc.

If you're a college student, having your ID on a lanyard around your neck really helps to put people at ease. It's magic.
That's a good idea! Thanks for the tip.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back