Cannon AE-1 Lens Comparison Question

SH_Lieca

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Question:

I have been shooting a Cannon AE-1 program with a Cannon FD 1/1.8 since that was the lens it came with. After having a roll developed, I am looking to expand into having another lens to accompany the camera.

I am thinking of buying a Canon FD 50mm f/1.4 Lens as my next lens. I noticed the 1/1.8 was a bit narrow of a perspective and i'm hoping the f/1.4 lens will give me more room to explore with when shooting larger areas. Does this sound like a good plan?

Any advice as to what I can expect between the difference of two lenses would be really helpful.

Thanks!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Not much difference really, except the f/1.4 admits a bit more light, and is heavier, and usually costs more.

The angle of view should be virtually identical.

I am thinking of buying a Canon FD 50mm f/1.4 Lens as my next lens. I noticed the 1/1.8 was a bit narrow of a perspective and i'm hoping the f/1.4 lens will give me more room to explore with when shooting larger areas. Does this sound like a good plan?
Hi!

No.

I think what you should be looking to purchase is a wide angle lens, something around 35mm or 28mm or even wider, depending on what you want.

The difference in aperture between f/1.8 and f/1.4 is minuscule at best, and will not increase the field of view such that anyone would be able to notice.

The only real difference is a tiny increase in the amount of light going through the lens, hardly worth spending any money on.

Hi!

No.

I think what you should be looking to purchase is a wide angle lens, something around 35mm or 28mm or even wider, depending on what you want.

The difference in aperture between f/1.8 and f/1.4 is minuscule at best, and will not increase the field of view such that anyone would be able to notice.

The only real difference is a tiny increase in the amount of light going through the lens, hardly worth spending any money on.

Can anyone suggest a wide angle lens that would fit in the AE - 1 program that costs under $100?

How about this: Canon FL 28mm f/3.5 MF Lens for A-1 AE-1 etc Very Good Condition No. 56465 | eBay

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back