Canoeing with a Camera

tenthumbs

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Greetings Friends.

I'm going on a week long 60 mile canoe trip into Boundary Waters next summer and wish to bring my D750 along with a couple lenses and a tripod. That means I need some form of waterproof carrier that will fit in with the rest of gear that I have to carry.

I know there are dry bags and waterproof backpacks but I'll already have a full backpack of camping gear.

What do you outdoor adventurers use to safely transport your camera gear? Something compact and waterproof. I have googled and I have found some interesting ideas, but I always appreciate hearing what people actually use.

Thank you

When I went to Quetico Provincal Pk (Canadian side of MN boundary waters) in the late '80s I carried a Nikon F3 w/ 20, 35, & 180mm lenses in a bright yellow waterproof dry bag. We were on the water and camping for 9 days w/ rain and shine and had no issues. It was compact and light and could fit into my backpack w/ my other gear. I also took a compact tripod. If I did it today I'd take my D750 w/ 24 1.8 G and 180mm lenses in a dry bag.

Here's a few of my buddies reviewing map
Quetico - 02.jpg

Me camping on 2" thick lichen (we shared 2 per tent)
Quetico - 01.jpg

Pickerel Lake, Quetico
Quetico - 05.jpg

Rugged and smelly near the end of the trip. Walleye was on the menu. (fished at midnight under Aurora Borealis)
Quetico - 08.jpg

Chatterton Falls, Quetico (sat in the falls to get body message)
Quetico - 09.jpg

Calm night sunset
Quetico - 11.jpg

Autumn Woodlands
Quetico 25a..jpg

Canoeing through moose territory
Quetico - 14.jpg

Rocky shorelines everywhere so be careful w/ canoe bottoms
Quetico 20a.jpg

Posted a few, but so many more photo memories. Have a great trip and pack light for those portage's, as we had 4.

We called the ranger in advance and he advised us to canoe in Sept/Oct., because spring has flash flood and many people die each year and summer is vicious w/ mosquitoes and black flies. Register w/ ranger and tell him your in and out points and length and location of your destination, in case of an emergency.

Last edited:
As and old canoeist, I second the dry bag. I've used 2 on my camera gear when I did whitewater, just in case. Put one inside the other with the openings opposite each other. That way the camera would survive a total dunking. You shouldn't have that issue on a lake, but who knows, the wind might kick up some waves on ya.

As and old canoeist, I second the dry bag. I've used 2 on my camera gear when I did whitewater, just in case. Put one inside the other with the openings opposite each other. That way the camera would survive a total dunking. You shouldn't have that issue on a lake, but who knows, the wind might kick up some waves on ya.
Excellent advice. Double bag would be a good idea on big lakes too. Last few days a storm came up w/ white caps. We got to a safe island and slept under our conoes that night.

Last edited:
You are in for a treat. This is just one of many diverse shots from an adventure in May of 2019.

image.jpeg

We had lots of rain. This shot was taken in light drizzle.

I shoot Canon and invest in their water sealed bodies and L series lens. On this trip I could not be bothered with worring about the camera getting wet. It was in the weather a lot.

I thnk your Nikon is weather sealed but are your lenses?

My bigger fear was that if the canoe went over the camera would sink. I have an Overboard brand backpack. Mine is a 20 and I forget if that is the weight or dimension. It is very rugged and there is enough air inside that It should float...fortunately never had to test that assumption and I tied it off to the canoe anyway.

Late May was chilly (it almost snowed) but there were no mosquitos unlike the previous trip in August 30 years before.

We made five portages on the first day to get to Allen Lake. Ours was the only campsite. We made permanent camp there and portaged to other lakes for day trips. Magic.

You're probably in good shape but make sure you are fit for this one. Canoe...carry canoe through woods... go back and get gear...carry gear through woods...canoe...repeat. This can take a lot out of you.

Have a great adventure.

Last edited:
I've used a non-watersealed lens in a torrential downpour and there was leakage around the seals.

As for protection I use various sized dry bags, in fact if I'm going out I line my camera bag with them, so each compartment has a sealed dry bag which my gear goes in. I use rain sleeves (one medium, one large) for when I'm shooting.

TBH if you have room for a camera you can slip a dry bag over it.

Any advantage of using a waterproof snorkeling type camera? That way, you don't have to worry at all and it can be handy all the time even in rough wet weather and windy conditions. It's also lighter. When I was shooting film, I used my Nikonos scuba camera on whitewater trips, parasailing over water, swimming, etc. There are digital cameras today that could take its place.

It's also lighter. When I was shooting film, I used my Nikonos scuba camera

I'd like to hear more about that camera perhaps in a separate thread. If it is what I remember, my guess is there were a lot of underwater images on the pages of National Geographic taken with the Nikonos.

It's also lighter. When I was shooting film, I used my Nikonos scuba camera

I'd like to hear more about that camera perhaps in a separate thread. If it is what I remember, my guess is there were a lot of underwater images on the pages of National Geographic taken with the Nikonos.
I wasn't necessarily recommending a Nikonos. That's an old film camera. I was trying to make a point that an underwater camera has many advantages if you're going canoeing. There are some small, relatively cheap underwater digital cameras available. It might be worthwhile exploring that as a possibility over taking unprotective camera gear that you have to watch like a hawk and spend a lot of time taking care of on a canoe trip.

Here's a 2020 review for waterproof cameras.
Best waterproof cameras in 2020

The Nikonos thirty years ago was a serious scuba diving camera that shot film. I wouldn't recommend one today. While cheap to buy today, you're still shooting film and the o-rings and gaskets that protected them from leaking are old and worn and hard to replace. You could google it to see some reviews today and forum threads. But for your purposes, I would check out the review link I posted above. I think one of the digital small waterproof and shockproof cameras would work great for your canoe trip. Keep it in your jacket pocket and don;t worry about your camera equipment. I see some come with GPS, altimeter, compass, WIFI, as well a 4K video and picture modes. Some have stabilization as well.

Good luck and have fun.

Thank you all for your replies. Very helpful as expected. We're going out in mid July out of Ely MN. I'll be spending my time between now and then getting in top shape and honing my photo skills.

If you’re worried about your DSLR going overboard while using it on the water, put a child’s “floatie” around the neck strap. For transport, a good quality dry bag is my suggestion.

What about using a go pro instead film makers do

Most reactions

New Topics

Back