Canon 1000D

Yes by the look of it. Same size with nikon D40 and even 25 g lighter! But it is not el cheapo camera. In couple months we'll know what is like.

I think canon is trying to close the hole.

Cool. I still don't see 599 Euros being that inexpensive... Isn't a 450D something like 799 Euros? I know I'm a cheapskate, but to me it looks like a newer form of an older model. I mean, it better be cheap, or else people will just buy a 400D

I do LOVE the live view mode, though. 30fps is sweet, and if I can get the money this has already become a good option for me.

Cool. I still don't see 599 Euros being that inexpensive... Isn't a 450 something like 799 Euros? I know I'm a cheapskate, but to me it looks like a newer form of an older model.

I do LOVE the live view mode, though. 30fps is sweet, and if I can get the money this has already become a good option for me.

I think you might mean 3fps ;)

3fps in jpg or 1.5 fps RAW is what I've heard.

I think you might mean 3fps ;)

3fps in jpg or 1.5 fps RAW is what I've heard.

No, I mean for the live view. In other words the live view mode is going to be smooth and not choppy.

Boy, that'd be a steal if it shot at 30fps, considering a 1d Mk III is only 10fps! :) Sure enough, its all you see on the sidelines of football games (attached is a 600mm f/4 :))

How far below MSRP do cameras usually retail for? €550 (for body only) is just over $860 (USD), that's more than double the cost of a 350D, and about $300 more than a 400D.

im guessing that this is going to fase out the 400D completely and come in somewhere inbetween the price of a D40 and 450D so where the 400D is currently sitting

Just looks like another bottom of the line POS from Canon.

But seriously, i dont really see whats makes this something cool. It looks cheesy and i hate the canon marketing.

How far below MSRP do cameras usually retail for? €550 (for body only) is just over $860 (USD), that's more than double the cost of a 350D, and about $300 more than a 400D.

Cameras are much cheaper on your side of the pond, you cannot simply apply the exchange rate here. I would guess the camera will be much less than 860 in the states.

[EDIT:]OK, on Canon US it says:
Suggested Retail Price: $799.99

Don't get yourself crazy about the $ - € exchange rate. It's completely out of whack these days, and manufacturers are pricing to the market, not to the curency equivalent. I'm willing to bet this thing will cost $650 later on in the US... they'll do rebates and all that stuff.

You can still buy a 350D new for $400 so why should anybody want this new camera?

You can still buy a 350D new for $400 so why should anybody want this new camera?

Well, people will buy it anyway just because it is new, don't worry. If it is a good catch,well, image quality will be the deciding factor here, not features. So let us wait for first proper tests and comparisons. If noise is exceptionally low, it would be a reason for $200-$300 more, but let us just wait and see.

Just looks like another bottom of the line POS from Canon. quote]

Personally, I too think that this new camera isn't all that great, looks like an XTi with a Digic III. Same thing could be said for the D60.

*I don't want to start a brand-war here*

I can only repeat what I said .... image quality cannot be judged by specs.

we need some objective testing.

One reason that comes to mind is Shelf Space Occupancy. Sony is driving a strategy that puts them in the Big Box retailers with three almost identical cameras, and Nikon has two. Canon only had one, so they added another in the low-end to add "choices" for the consumer.

It's also leveraging existing technology.

Also, dSLRs are all the rage, and why not have lots of products on offer?

Most reactions

Back