Canon 24-105 F4L for wedding on crop sensor?

Ryan L

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well I was really debuting between the 70-200 f4 IS or the 2.8 non IS. Now I am second guessing and thinking I should be getting the 24-105 f4 IS since I have a crop sensor and will be getting a 50d which is also a crop sensor.
I shoot a lot of sports, nature, but my friends wedding in August is really driving me toward the 24-105. It's outdoors so I dont think the f4 will be limiting me. I found one locally for 900 (used but in ex condition).

On my crop sensor do you think this will be a better option? They keep their value so it's not like I can't sell it later on and incur little loss. I really think the 70-200 f2.8 better suits my everyday needs. *Thoughts anyone?*

Tough decision, but is this a sort of one-time deal (the wedding) and the desire to shoot that event well, versus a more long-term need for a fast tele-zoom lens? It sounds like it's that way to me. I dunno...the 24-105 L is a handy lens, but more so on FF than on 1.6x,although it is a good lens on 1.6x, it's just that it's missing that real wide-angle capability on a 1.6x body. If the 70-200 truly does better suit your everyday needs, it would probably better to go with your instincts and buy for your most-commonly needed types of situations, which would mean getting a 70-200,and using some other lens for the wedding.

If you are mainly shooting sports and nature, stick with the 70-200. And even save up for the IS, or compensate by using a monopod or tripod if you get shaky.

If you want a wider lens for your friend's wedding, and this is your only wedding and you dont plan on doing weddings too often, rent a 17-55 f/2.8 lens, or a 24-70 f/2.8 lens, for the day. You can use this rented lens along with your 70-200 and have a wide range covered.

On a crop, I would probably look at the 17-55. 17 is nice and wide on a crop for group shots and indoor / close quarters, and 55 can get some decent portraits. If you are further back, put on the 70-200.

The goal for weddings, even outdoors, is the 2.8. DOF control and for when it gets darker. I understand its outside, but is the wedding over at 6pm when the sun goes down?

Tough decision, but is this a sort of one-time deal (the wedding) and the desire to shoot that event well, versus a more long-term need for a fast tele-zoom lens? It sounds like it's that way to me. I dunno...the 24-105 L is a handy lens, but more so on FF than on 1.6x,although it is a good lens on 1.6x, it's just that it's missing that real wide-angle capability on a 1.6x body. If the 70-200 truly does better suit your everyday needs, it would probably better to go with your instincts and buy for your most-commonly needed types of situations, which would mean getting a 70-200,and using some other lens for the wedding.

This is a one time deal for now, someday I would love to do weddings but I wouldn't dare do one now and charge someone to donone now. The only thing that has me is my favorite lens is my 28-135 IS, focal length is similar and I am comfortable using it. I have a 50mm 1.8 I could use for portrait work at the wedding. Sports wise football is the use for the lens, even that's a stretch at 200mm, I have the kit 55-250 IS now that I use and it's...eh. The other sports are in the gymnasium and the 50mm 1.8 is my only option due to the awful lighting.

If you are mainly shooting sports and nature, stick with the 70-200. And even save up for the IS, or compensate by using a monopod or tripod if you get shaky.

The goal for weddings, even outdoors, is the 2.8. DOF control and for when it gets darker. I understand its outside, but is the wedding over at 6pm when the sun goes down?

I have a tripod, and looking at getting mono. The wedding is at 4pm and the pictures are before.

I am impulsive and hate to wait, but I have heard before to get the 2.8 IS not the f4. I want a new toy now! Lol

My 2cents:
A lot, and I really mean A LOT has to do with your shooting style. If you prefer to shoot wide open, the perhaps 2.8 is what you need. My self, I show up with at least two strobe lights, bunch of speedlites and since sharpest apertures are usually 2-3 stops above the widest open, I rarely if ever need to shoot wider then 5.6; therefore for me 18-200 is a perfect lens. Of course, when I need to do something specific, thats when another lens comes out.
But thats my style :)

Most reactions

Back