Canon 5D Mark II appearance?

Elizabeth30

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Why is that photos taken with the Canon 5D Mark II have a soft kind of creamy appearance? And I'm not talking about after processing. A lot of photos I've seen SOOC have this appearance.... why is that? Are their other cameras that have a similar effect?

Also for anyone who cares, maybe you could explain the differences to me on what this camera can do that I CAN'T do on my camera (Rebel T2i).

I'd be into that kind of a look. I have not noticed this but, a lot of folks don't post what they are using and I wish they would. Probably something with the preset WB etc on the 5D that your eye is particularly sensitive to.

Why is that photos taken with the Canon 5D Mark II have a soft kind of creamy appearance? And I'm not talking about after processing. A lot of photos I've seen SOOC have this appearance.... why is that? Are their other cameras that have a similar effect?

Also for anyone who cares, maybe you could explain the differences to me on what this camera can do that I CAN'T do on my camera (Rebel T2i).

Can you show an example of what you mean?

Yea, I am not entirely sure what you mean. I have a 5D, 5D2, and T1i, I could set them all up with equivalent FoV's and take photos of the same scene on a tripod. I've never noticed a soft and creamy look to the photos I took with a 5D2.

I made this image here with a fairly pedestrian zoom lens. Seems to be sharp enough, and not have a so called 'creamyness'

405412_10150538409336912_500091911_9076453_730641848_n.jpg

Here is an image I shot the other day with an expensive prime lens on the 5D2. [exif intact]

jgWDZ9QGlMgeK.jpg

The second one may appear creamier because I used a relatively large aperture with a long focal length... But the subject in the photo is sharp.

I'm also betting that the creamy result is from the lens and not the camera body. Many folks who get the 5DII have also spent money on better quality, faster lenses.

Probably is the lens. I tend to like the creamy softness that these photos have though.

Link to sample photos would be helpful. I shoot with a 5DM2 photographer and I don't see anything special about his pictures compare to mine. We both shoot 24-70 f2.8 and 70-200 f2.8, but mine are Nikon.

Most reactions

Back