Canon 5D Mark iii or Nikon D750?

Traveler, I don't really expect to make a full-time profession out of this. But it would be nice to make some money back from it every once in a while.
I have been taking photos since I was young, and even though I haven't owned a DSLR, I still play around quite a bit with exposure settings and in manual. I haven't bought Lightroom, because I have only had JPEGS to work with and didn't think it would be worth editing with something other than what I currently use which has served me fine.
I considered getting a cheaper DSLR to start out with. But that would most likely have been a DX, and I want to experience the FF. Also, I didn't want to invest in DX lenses only to have to sell and re-buy others later for FF. I completely understand it is the person that takes the photos, but I wanted a camera that wouldn't hold me back and that I could grow in to.

Also, I didn't want to invest in DX lenses only to have to sell and re-buy others later for FF.

FYI,
If you buy DX there is nothing that REQUIRES you to buy DX lenses.
When I bought my d7000 DX camera, other than the kit lens, I ONLY bought FX lenses.
So when I bought a d600, I had to do nothing about changing lenses.

The D750 just happens to be Nikon's high-end enthusiast's camera, the camera many professionals will use as either a primary body or a secondary body. Nikon has long done this: made a camera aimed at the very enthusiastic, serious, committed amateur photographer AND the working professional photographer. They did this with the Nikkormat series when the F was king; they did this with the FE when the F2 was king; they did this with the FE-2 and FA in the F3's era, and continued this tradition with other high-end enthusiast bodies like the 8008, N90, and F100 over a twenty year span when the F4 and F5 were super-expensive cameras. But really--just how expensive ARE these cameras, in relation to real-world expenses?

In relation to the cost of monthly apartment rent or leasing (west-coast, in my general area), a serious enthusiast camera body from Nikon has consistently been priced new,at retail, at about the cost of from one to two months' rent, from the late 1970's to the current day. Is that "super-expensive"? For light duty use, I think every single Nikon made in this category will last 20 years, barring saltwater damage or gross negligence or accidental destruction. A D750 will allow a person to shoot 100,000 to 300,000 photos, with zero film cost and zero film processing costs. I think it's a bargain.

I use my camera ALL the time, I love photography. The main reason I want a DSLR is for high quality images. I can play around a lot with my current camera, but I am getting frustrated with the quality. That is the main reason I am going for the D750. I want great photos. I outgrew my current camera in about two years, and don't want to trade in a DX camera for FF in another two. I would rather grow with one for a longer time.
I realize I could use the FX on the crop sensor cameras, but again, I am looking for high quality and cleanliness in images. If I don't end up liking the D750 for whatever reason, or think its much more than I need, I have a month to return it and will consider again crop sensor cameras. But if I think i'll grow to the ability of unlocking its capabilities, I would keep it and grow with it.

I use my camera ALL the time, I love photography. The main reason I want a DSLR is for high quality images. I can play around a lot with my current camera, but I am getting frustrated with the quality. That is the main reason I am going for the D750. I want great photos. I outgrew my current camera in about two years, and don't want to trade in a DX camera for FF in another two. I would rather grow with one for a longer time.
I realize I could use the FX on the crop sensor cameras, but again, I am looking for high quality and cleanliness in images. If I don't end up liking the D750 for whatever reason, or think its much more than I need, I have a month to return it and will consider again crop sensor cameras. But if I think i'll grow to the ability of unlocking its capabilities, I would keep it and grow with it.

If the D750 fits your budget then by all means, buy one. You won't be disappointed. I think Traveller's point was if your thinking that your going to make money with it and are counting on that in your budgeting process then that is probably not a wise choice.

However from what you've said it doesn't seem to me that is your thought process here, but rather that your comfortable with spending the money on the 750 regardless.

Traveler, I don't really expect to make a full-time profession out of this. But it would be nice to make some money back from it every once in a while.
I have been taking photos since I was young, and even though I haven't owned a DSLR, I still play around quite a bit with exposure settings and in manual. I haven't bought Lightroom, because I have only had JPEGS to work with and didn't think it would be worth editing with something other than what I currently use which has served me fine.
I considered getting a cheaper DSLR to start out with. But that would most likely have been a DX, and I want to experience the FF. Also, I didn't want to invest in DX lenses only to have to sell and re-buy others later for FF. I completely understand it is the person that takes the photos, but I wanted a camera that wouldn't hold me back and that I could grow in to.

Just get it if you can afford it and want it. If buyer's remorse is a big issue with you, and you want an expensive new toy, it's going to do you well. So long as you don't hold down the shutter button for hours on end, drop it, or spit on the mirror, then resell value will remain quite good as well.

As far as making money goes: Don't kid yourself about making money if you're trying to justify the big purchase. If you're willing to put in the time and effort, and build up a portfolio and experience properly, and acquire the skills and client-base & etc/etc/etc... then sure, go for it.

I was a Nikon shooter when I shot digital and I loved it. I had a cropped sensor camera (now shooting medium format film, I can't even imagine going back to that haha) I think that in order to really get the feel for a camera you need to just get it and try it out. It sucks that there aren't that many professional camera stores around like the one I used to work for where you could go FEEL and play with the camera. It's like buying a car, it's great to test it out :) have you considered maybe renting them both and seeing which you like more? There are plenty of great rental sites like Rent professional cameras or camera lenses for Canon Nikon Sony Olympus Leica and Pentax or LensRentals.com - Rent Lenses and Cameras from Canon Nikon Olympus Sony Leica and more Then you will have a better idea how you like either one. I love Nikons and Canon's both for different reasons. Canon has lovely skin tones, but you can use your own actions in PS after wards to create your own unique look with skin tones. Also, have you considered a used one? KEH has great deals on used gear and you can get warranties to go with it as well if you are uncomfortable with buying it used. Just my two cents :) Best of luck! I also HIGHLY agree with getting an external flash. The SB800 is an AWESOME flash and they are so easy to use when you start using them you'll wonder why you never did! Bounce flash when you're at a wedding at a reception is such a huge help, and there are tons of lighting tutorials on Youtube that show you different techniques with just one external flash mounted on the hotshoe.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back