Canon 5d MKII or Nikon D700

Canon is rumored to be working on a lower end FF pro-sumer camera... yes, the fabled "3D".

From the same Canon Rumor Site:

Second Prosumer FF (7D or 3D)
The designs for the second prosumer FF are still being worked on but no release date is planned yet. Canon are (even more) waiting for market demand for FF to justify the new model cycle (still seen as when rather than if).

Canon have watched the market share of Nikon with the D700 and D3 as well as the D3X. They see the D700 as having eaten into D3 sales rather than expanding the FF market much.

Needless to say, this isn't what they want to do.

A new FF model below the 5D II is not seen as viable, since once the 60D is out the 5D II is like a FF 60D. This would mean even more cripling of features, which they would rather not do.

If they go 'more pro' with features (e.g. pro autofocus but not the pro body etc), the concern is about loosing sales of the highly profitable 1Ds III.

The replacements in the 1D series are targeted to be a sufficient 'step up' (from a marketing POV) that Canon could have room for an 'in between' FF. [surely not the fabled 3D at last! - kc]
That would totally change the landscape of the marketplace. A FF camera in the $1,800 range...

I keep wondering how far Nikon and Canon intend to push the 1.6 sensor given they've reached the limit of its MP expansion for the most part. I mean, we all know the APS-C format came about because of cost and it was similar in size to the wildly popular (kidding) APS film cameras. Now that cost isn't as much of an issue these days for sensors, why keep around the old smaller formats? Sure, there's the whole lens compatibility thing, but you would think engineers could devise some cleaver way to allow EF-S lenses to work on a full frame body going forward.

Of course these are nothing more than the musings of a rank amature, but I read a lot. :)

That seems to be the consensus elsewhere on the 'net...

Rumor has it that the D700 has taken a bite out of the D3 sales and Canon is scared of doing the same.

It's all speculation... but have you seen the Canon Rumors as of late?

Source: Canon EOS 60D DSLR - what replaces the 50D

I know... rumors. But if Canon did that it would bite into the 5DMk2 market share. I suspect many people would trade FF for 13 point AF, 8 FPS, dual memory cards, weather sealing, 98% view finder... it would be a 1.6 version of a 1D. :)

I just wish the 5DMk2 had some of those features.

Sounds like you bought the wrong camera if you keep hankering after more spec

I just wish the 5D MKII would wake up and make me coffee in the morning instead of bitching about large file sizes and too many mega pixels.

Sounds like you bought the wrong camera if you keep hankering after more spec
So there's nothing you would change about any of your gear? There's not one thing you wish might have been done different?

If so, you're pretty unique. I don't think I've ever met anyone before that thought their car, camera, computer, etc. was absolutely perfect. You must be a manufacturers ideal customer. They would love to clone you. :)

Sure, there's the whole lens compatibility thing, but you would think engineers could devise some cleaver way to allow EF-S lenses to work on a full frame body going forward.
Nikon already has that part figured out.

So there's nothing you would change about any of your gear? There's not one thing you wish might have been done different?

If so, you're pretty unique. I don't think I've ever met anyone before that thought their car, camera, computer, etc. was absolutely perfect. You must be a manufacturers ideal customer. They would love to clone you. :)

No i just get on and use what i have, The 1D and 5dmk1 have no problem shooting what ever i want the 5D is even good at shooting sport you don't need FPS for sport if you know what you are doing, it's not all down to the camera

you have to understand - Gary has the Canon 300mm f2.8 IS L
its like the God lens of the canon line up! (though the 800mm is hot on its tails!)
once you have that you don't need anything else (well ok you need a camera body but that is all)
;) :)

now if only it hadn't jumped in price :(

No i just get on and use what i have, The 1D and 5dmk1 have no problem shooting what ever i want the 5D is even good at shooting sport you don't need FPS for sport if you know what you are doing, it's not all down to the camera
I guess I don't recall saying anything was "down to the camera" or suggesting the 5DMk2 couldn't be used for sports.

I happen to think my 5DMk2 is the best full frame DSLR on the market for my use. I love the thing, that doesn't mean I don't look forward to improvements. I would imagine the vast majority of camera users, regardless of brand, have a wish list of things they would like to see improved.

I could be wrong. You might be the first I've met that didn't. :)

you have to understand - Gary has the Canon 300mm f2.8 IS L
its like the God lens of the canon line up! (though the 800mm is hot on its tails!)
once you have that you don't need anything else (well ok you need a camera body but that is all)
;) :)

now if only it hadn't jumped in price :(
Hehe, I can totally respect that.

I know some folks are 100% content with their stuff. I'm one of those people that's rarely content regarding technology. I need to break myself of that with cameras, I realize that.

I guess I don't recall saying anything was "down to the camera" or suggesting the 5DMk2 couldn't be used for sports.

I happen to think my 5DMk2 is the best full frame DSLR on the market for my use. I love the thing, that doesn't mean I don't look forward to improvements. I would imagine the vast majority of camera users, regardless of brand, have a wish list of things they would like to see improved.

I could be wrong. You might be the first I've met that didn't. :)

I don't think i am the only one, i'm the same with cars and motorbikes i don't have to have the new model, one bike is new but my BMWGS is 10 years old i bought it because it was the most reliable and will never sell it
I wiil buy a 5Dmk2 when it gets upgraded and i can get it for next to nothing

I read in the Luminous Landscape website that during a recent photo trip to the Antarctica that 25% of the people who were using the 5D MKII had problems with the camera not working. I believe it had to do with condensation or moisture getting inside the camera. Some cameras did work after they dried but some did not. They had other cameras there from Nikon D3, D3x and D700 and the new Sony A900 and none of them had any problems. So it makes me wonder how good the 5D is sealed.

I wiil buy a 5Dmk2 when it gets upgraded and i can get it for next to nothing
That's a very sound practice, no doubt. I'm too impatient. I guess I feel like I'm running out of time constantly. Yeah, that's it. :)

Nikon already has that part figured out.

Fortunately out of over 60 lenses in Canon's line up, only 6 or 7 are EF-S lenses and none of which that a person using a full frame camera would want to use if they're worried about quality.

The only one I could think of would be the 17-55 f/2.8 IS. That would make a nice constant f/2.8 UWA zoom.

EFS 60mm is a quality macro lens and the shortest macro for canon (that 50mm thing does not count!) other than that you have the 100mm or 180mm options for FF sensors. You have to go to sigma to get a shorter macro prime lens for FF work (and yes they do have a use)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back