Canon 70-200 2.8L IS - strange noise (mechanical)

pics_uk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi Guys.

I have just bought this lens...

And only noticed when I got home that, when zooming in and out (camera not turned on, about half way from 70-200 I get this weird clicking/crackle noise. The zooming in and out noise I am used to, but this crackle/click half way is strange.

Does anyone here use this lens? Do you get any irregular noises with it zooming in and out?

Even with the camera on with IS on or off it is there. I would assume that this would not be normal for such a lens. I think I will return it, but just wanted to ask someone else that owns one.

Cheers
Marty

He's asking about a noise that is made, even when the camera is off...so it's not the focus motor...and I believe that there is a Ring USM motor in that lens...which is very quiet.

I don't have that lens...so I can't say...but I've never heard of a noise when zooming. Check the manual, does that lens have a 'zoom lock'? Some lenses have resistance on the zoom...so that the lens does not zoom out on it's own...when pointed downward.

been using one for over a year now and have never had any noises when zooming

been using one for over a year now and have never had any noises when zooming

Thanks for that reply. The noise is only when I zoom in and out...and does sound like something is just not right. I guess back to the shop.

I have tried every combination of having the camera on/off. AF/MF, IS on/OFF in both modes. This is something mechanical and always in the same spot....

Thanks for the replies

He's asking about a noise that is made, even when the camera is off...so it's not the focus motor...and I believe that there is a Ring USM motor in that lens...which is very quiet.

I don't have that lens...so I can't say...but I've never heard of a noise when zooming. Check the manual, does that lens have a 'zoom lock'? Some lenses have resistance on the zoom...so that the lens does not zoom out on it's own...when pointed downward.

i realized that after i read the message the second time.....why are you so mean to me mike?...(just joking)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back