What's new

CANON 7D realesed!!!

I admit I have been lurking ... and pondering my decision between the 7D and 5d Mk II.

I decided to go with the 5d (collected it 1 week ago).

I decided to go this route because I had rented the 5d and really loved it. I was extremely persuaded by the 7D specs ... but was thinking long term.

The full sensor is hard to ignore and whilst the specs for the 7D sound extremely 'sexy' ... I had to evaluate function over 'sexiness'.

I'm not suggesting I evaluated this battle correctly (and clearly the price is significantly higher for my choice), but a choice had to be made and I may consider upgrading my 2nd shooter (40d) for the 7D in a few months.

... Of course I am interested in comments from anyone in this same upgrade position (ie. 7D or 5D mk ii)

Sue
 
Personally, the back of the 7D is too bloated for my liking. Though it looks comfortable, for sure.
 
Personally, the back of the 7D is too bloated for my liking. Though it looks comfortable, for sure.

Bloated? How so?

I'll be posting some thoughts on the 7D this weekend, once I've gotten a good chance to really put the AF system through it's paces.
 
I got my 7D today & spent a few minutes playing with it. I used the default video mode & it was jerky. Basically it looks natural but about every 2 seconds it has a jerky motion for a split second. Tomorrow I am going to change it from the default setting & shot possibly at 60 fps etc & see if it varies.
 
Last edited:
I got my 7D today & spent a few minutes playing with it. I used the default video mode & it was jerky. Basically it looks natural but about every 2 seconds it has a jerky motion for a split second. Tomorrow I am going to change it from the default setting & shot possibly at 60 fps etc & see if it varies.

I want to revise what I said last night (above). I was excited to try my new camera out but after I slept on it I realized what may be the problem. I am using the extreme III flachcards from my 40D camera. When I wrote Canon Help a few weeks ago regarding flashcards I asked them if my extreme III cards would work well on the 7D & they replied they would work fine except for when I tried shooting at 8 fps or when doing video. I think what is happening is the 2 second jerking motion is being created because the flashcard cannot download data fast enough.

I am getting the extreme IV 8GB card later this week, it is already in the mail via UPS. I will try it with that card & see if it fixes it.
 
I got my 7D today & spent a few minutes playing with it. I used the default video mode & it was jerky. Basically it looks natural but about every 2 seconds it has a jerky motion for a split second. Tomorrow I am going to change it from the default setting & shot possibly at 60 fps etc & see if it varies.

I want to revise what I said last night (above). I was excited to try my new camera out but after I slept on it I realized what may be the problem. I am using the extreme III flachcards from my 40D camera. When I wrote Canon Help a few weeks ago regarding flashcards I asked them if my extreme III cards would work well on the 7D & they replied they would work fine except for when I tried shooting at 8 fps or when doing video. I think what is happening is the 2 second jerking motion is being created because the flashcard cannot download data fast enough.

I am getting the extreme IV 8GB card later this week, it is already in the mail via UPS. I will try it with that card & see if it fixes it.


Grrrrr ... of course ... and I have bunches of batteries AND half a dozen Extreme III's for my 30D ... now I'm gonna have to get new cards AND new batteries ...
 
I got my 7D today & spent a few minutes playing with it. I used the default video mode & it was jerky. Basically it looks natural but about every 2 seconds it has a jerky motion for a split second. Tomorrow I am going to change it from the default setting & shot possibly at 60 fps etc & see if it varies.

I want to revise what I said last night (above). I was excited to try my new camera out but after I slept on it I realized what may be the problem. I am using the extreme III flachcards from my 40D camera. When I wrote Canon Help a few weeks ago regarding flashcards I asked them if my extreme III cards would work well on the 7D & they replied they would work fine except for when I tried shooting at 8 fps or when doing video. I think what is happening is the 2 second jerking motion is being created because the flashcard cannot download data fast enough.

I am getting the extreme IV 8GB card later this week, it is already in the mail via UPS. I will try it with that card & see if it fixes it.


Grrrrr ... of course ... and I have bunches of batteries AND half a dozen Extreme III's for my 30D ... now I'm gonna have to get new cards AND new batteries ...

Well wait until I try the extreme IV card to see if it is still jerky. I knew the sample videos on line of the 7D were jerky on the waves breaking thus all action video would be less then desireable. The problem I am talking about is simple video of my wife just standing & talking into the camera thus an entire degree more of it being jerky.

If the Extreme IV card does not fix it, the video portion is not acceptable IMO. My bet is it will....
 
So why does the kit they are releasing in the USA include the 28-135 rather than the new 18-135 that is part of the kit options in Europe?
 
I want to revise what I said last night (above). I was excited to try my new camera out but after I slept on it I realized what may be the problem. I am using the extreme III flachcards from my 40D camera. When I wrote Canon Help a few weeks ago regarding flashcards I asked them if my extreme III cards would work well on the 7D & they replied they would work fine except for when I tried shooting at 8 fps or when doing video. I think what is happening is the 2 second jerking motion is being created because the flashcard cannot download data fast enough.

I am getting the extreme IV 8GB card later this week, it is already in the mail via UPS. I will try it with that card & see if it fixes it.


Grrrrr ... of course ... and I have bunches of batteries AND half a dozen Extreme III's for my 30D ... now I'm gonna have to get new cards AND new batteries ...

Well wait until I try the extreme IV card to see if it is still jerky. I knew the sample videos on line of the 7D were jerky on the waves breaking thus all action video would be less then desireable. The problem I am talking about is simple video of my wife just standing & talking into the camera thus an entire degree more of it being jerky.

If the Extreme IV card does not fix it, the video portion is not acceptable IMO. My bet is it will....


FYI, the extreme IV card fixed it!
 
So why does the kit they are releasing in the USA include the 28-135 rather than the new 18-135 that is part of the kit options in Europe?

Maybe because they figure the average American wants a lower price, not higher quality gear, as opposed to the average European (hell, much of European culture is about quality...like the food...oh gods the FOOD!).
 
The one where you asked if anyone ordered from Amazon? Maybe nobody ordered from there? I ordered from Adorama on the 8th and got mine a week ago. Plenty of places are still backordered.
 
FYI, I did some video shooting today, really my first real attempt. The downsides are you got to check focus before startying the video & because you are not looking thru the viewfinder, it makes it easier to not get it right. The LCD was bright enough to see it though even in bright sunlight shinning on the LCD. I did not see a real good way to keep in in focus while your subject is moving.

The video came out pretty nice. I still find that if you have a fast car going from right to left accross the screen it is a bit jerky but I took video of guys playing basketball & of surfing & they came out pretty good. Regarding video quality, very sharp compared to any consumer cams I have personally seen.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom