What's new

CANON 7D realesed!!!

D300 on the left, D90 on the right. Both at ISO 6400:

If my D90 or D300s looked that bad (either pic) at 6400 I would have thrown them in a lake. Those look like shots that were intentionally made to look bad.
LOL, no. They weren't made to look intentionally bad. I don't believe the Imaging Resource site has a bias towards any particular brand. It's easy to claim that when the results don't jive with your view of your gear I suppose.

Here's more info on their testing methodology and practices.

Imaging Resource Digital Camera Test Methods


maybe they're not bias, but those test results are pretty inconsistent what I have seen before from others though. I mean, the 5D MarkII should have done a lot better than what their test show, at least from what I see from other tests and such.
 
maybe they're not bias, but those test results are pretty inconsistent what I have seen before from others though. I mean, the 5D MarkII should have done a lot better than what their test show, at least from what I see from other tests and such.
That's far more likely than them having an anti-Nikon bias.

When the 7D hits I do plan on buying one. I need a second sports camera probably, and this seems like a good candidate. If I do buy it, I will shoot my own tests with my buddies D300. I'm sure others will do the same when the 7D actually hits the street. Only time will tell.
 
A video using the pre-production Canon 7D has been released here.
 
Nice!
would have been nice for them to have uploaded a larger version so we could get all pixel peeping but from what it shows there it looks very good - both with the action, motion and lowlight
edit - if you use this link here yo uget a larger version
http://vimeo.com/6487566
 
When the 7D hits I do plan on buying one. I need a second sports camera probably, and this seems like a good candidate.

Interesting...

I would have guessed that a 1DMII from the used market would be a better choice. Maybe it is just me, but I prefer to have my backup camera to have the same operational layout (switches, buttons, menus) to be the same as a primary. Saves that "mental" switch going between the two bodies. Your 1DMIII is in the same bread as the 1DMII with similar AF performance, layout, etc. 10mp versus 8mp is negligible.
 
Last edited:
Y'know, FF sensors are not going to stop at 24 mp. The 1Ds Mk IV will certainly have much higher mp than 21. If Canon can achieve, say, 36 mp, then surely they can achieve 18 mp in APS-C.

I believe Canon have reached that technological threshold. The time is ready for a 30+ mp FF camera. Just wait till next year...

The 7D is simply the first step toward that goal. 18 mp mean we can expect ~40 mp in the next FF model. That's my prediction.

The 7D should prove to be very good. Reviews will bear me out. That's my second prediction.
 
But we don't need that kind of resolution. And no lens can feed such hypothetical beasts.
 
I just got done reading all the reviews on the 7D AND all 9 pages of this thread and I have almost decided that I will upgrade to the 7D. I have been using my 20D since it came out and after taking it to Iraq a few years ago it is just about worn out. (There is an annoying scratch on my sensor that I have to keep editing out post-picture from the Iraqi sand). I was thinking about a second hand 5DMII, but I think the 7D for all the different things that I take photos of.
 
I for one think that overall this the 7D will be an exceptional value. I have been shooting with 20D's for the past few years, and I commonly use ISO 1600, and make very good looking prints from those shots. So pixel peep all you want and yes the 18mp is overkill, but if I can get a full stop or two better ISO performance in terms, of noise and detail, then I'm sold.

The way camera technology is moving is amazing, we now have available a mid-level camera that in many ways surpasses the ability of the flagship camera from just one generation ago, and at less than half the price. I am also happy to see this higher end crop body, because I a good bit invested in EF-s type lenses.This is a wonderful time to be a photographer.
 
Hey all. This is it. The store I am buying it from just notified me of the shipping date. Next Wednesday September 30. How accurate. They said late September, early October.

Time to sell my little Xsi

Flickr: printwebaudio's Photostream

Yup. Apparently there's some 7D preview event happening or something here, and I'll be able to pick mine up there right away (so the rumours go, anyway).


Compared to a 5D MkII, yes. Only. ;)
 
7D hands-on on Luminous-Landscape.com:

Canon 7D First Look Report


Scroll down to 'Image Quality':

"Though Canon placed no restrictions on my ability to report on image quality, other than to indicate that any pictures shown are "Beta Sample Images" I am going to punt, and will not be describing in any detail the image quality that I have seen from the Canon 7D.

Frankly, the reason is that I am seeing things which I am not sure are a consequence of the camera's inherent characteristics or are specific to pre-production cameras or even this specific camera. This includes overall image softness and some digital artifacting. Nothing terrible mind you; just enough though that I am aware of it, and therefore don't want to make any undue assumptions.


The major camera technical review sites will have their in-depth analysis of full production cameras soon enough, and once you've been able to read a couple of them you'll be able to draw a pretty good conclusion about this for yourself."


So this is the so-called "field review" that was announced 3 weeks ago? Bad form, LL. :thumbdown:
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom