What's new

CANON 7D realesed!!!

As of yet, I'm not convinced that the 7D is any better than the 50D when it comes to high ISO shooting. But we'll find out soon enough.
I don't think I would say it's better than the 50D either. At best it's as good. At worst it's slightly worse.

Believe me, I would MUCH rather have had another 15mp sensor with improvements to the photosites and microlenses that Canon is claiming for this latest sensor. I'm not at all excited about the 18mp sensor. They should have stopped at 15 or even gone back to 12 and really increased ISO performance and dynamic range.

But, with that being said, as a package, this camera promises to be quite an improvement over all to the 50D. I like it.

But, I don't like it enough to buy one. I'll wait for the 1D4. I just hope they don't go to 30mp on a 1.3x sensor with it. :)
 
As of yet, I'm not convinced that the 7D is any better than the 50D when it comes to high ISO shooting. But we'll find out soon enough.
The target market for the 7D is probably not 50D shooters. It's probably 10D/20D/30D/40D shooters who now want to upgrade....or all the Rebel owners who want to step up (and there are more Rebel owners than all other EOS combined).
When you have a 2008 Honda Accord, you aren't likely to buy a 2009 Accord...so why be disappointed that it's not exponentially better? But if you have a 1989 Civic, the 2009 Accord looks like the cat's meow.

Agreed. I keep seeing all these complaints about "Oh, you can't shoot with it at ISO 3200 and get a useable 18 Mpx image!" But then I remember that I rarely go above ISO 200, and I'm upgrading from a 4-year-old Rebel 350D. I'm looking for a new camera now. My options were a Rebel XSi, Rebel T1i, or 50D. Now, included in that is the 7D. Why buy last year's model when I can buy this year's for ~25% more when it has several more features that I will use?
 
Mr Hitler not happy about the Canon 7d...

 
Last edited by a moderator:
MrLogic, THANKS!

Wow, the 7D beats the pants off the D300 and even gives the 5DMk2 a run for it's money!!!

Oh man, that's impressive.
 
MrLogic, THANKS!

Wow, the 7D beats the pants off the D300 and even gives the 5DMk2 a run for it's money!!!

Oh man, that's impressive.

Yeah, but comparing ISO 6400 on D300 & D90... I'm not sure about the abysmal performance of the D300. I was under the impression that both cameras -- the D300 & D90 -- were pretty much equal in terms of IQ and high ISO performance.

But apparently not(?)

D300 on the left, D90 on the right. Both at ISO 6400:

639128603_826hZ-O.jpg
 
I agree with you ! I myself started pixel pipping some time ago when i got introduce to dslr photography and seen picture quality of all tastes and colors, having own a powershot sx10is and looking at the capabilitites of this camera and taking the next level of photography to dslr's i seen the diference, my photos then sucks, now they started to look better and now i can wao people with my images. like 8 months after i got my rebel xsi I thought that my skills got limited by the machine so i had planned to have a 50D as main and the rebel as backup but after the raw reviews the eos 50d gotten i decided to write to canon to tell them they were going to loose me as canon loyal since nikon had better offerings in that particular market range. Now the EOS 7D has come and let me tell you, it has been worth every second of my wait, canon finnally got what we asked for, you see some of us amateurs pro wannna b's cannot afford an expensive L glass colletion, that i will leave for magazine editing and getty images photogs. but to lots of us crop sensor is the only way to go fast and long in the cheap and the 7D is the question to those answers, thanks canon .... I seen some lab pics taken at imaging resource website and am totally convinced that the eos 7d will live to is capabilitites and that canon made a big leap into new grounds with 18mp cmos, incredible ahh .... twin turbo machine gun, filled up with all the goddies that you can ask for for 1700 easy to get dollars ....so stop winning !
 
Im curious. Did you actually use and enjoy your 50D or did you believe the reviews. From what I am seeing, mosst reviews were wrong on the 50D.
 
D300 on the left, D90 on the right. Both at ISO 6400:

If my D90 or D300s looked that bad (either pic) at 6400 I would have thrown them in a lake. Those look like shots that were intentionally made to look bad.
 
D300 on the left, D90 on the right. Both at ISO 6400:

If my D90 or D300s looked that bad (either pic) at 6400 I would have thrown them in a lake. Those look like shots that were intentionally made to look bad.
LOL, no. They weren't made to look intentionally bad. I don't believe the Imaging Resource site has a bias towards any particular brand. It's easy to claim that when the results don't jive with your view of your gear I suppose.

Here's more info on their testing methodology and practices.

Imaging Resource Digital Camera Test Methods
 
They weren't made to look intentionally bad. I don't believe the Imaging Resource site has a bias towards any particular brand. It's easy to claim that when the results don't jive with your view of your gear I suppose.

Here's more info on their testing methodology and practices.

Imaging Resource Digital Camera Test Methods

So, then, would you agree that the D3X SMOKES the 5D MK II at lower ISO levels? :mrgreen: (or any other dSLR for that matter)


The Imaging Resource Comparometer compares straight out-of-the-camera JPEGs, though, if I'm not mistaken. It's good to keep that in mind (if I'm right about that)
 
I also haven't seen anything about the wireless flash control anywhere on the Canon site. I would think that would be a big 'new' feature to brag about. (unless they didn't want to point out that Nikon been doing that for years and they are finally catching up). I saw it mentioned (but not elaborated) at Dpreview but not at Canon.

I found thiat at Dpreview...
The Canon EOS 7D is equipped with an Integrated Speedlite Transmitter. For the first time in an EOS, photographers can control external Speedlites with no additional accessories - ideal for those looking to experiment with creative lighting set-ups. The EOS 7D also features an extensively upgraded, built-in flash including manual control, and wider flash coverage to cover focal lengths as wide as 15mm.

Mike...this is a little off topic...but I was checking out your wedding photos....the 4th from last photo, where the bride and groom are dancing...how did you get that effect? Is that from the camera, or was that photoshopped like that? Let me know!
 
Awesome, my D90 still holds more than it's own for value per dollar it seems :D

AT 6400 ISO the D90 has more detail than the 7D & D300.
 
any chance you could change that image to a link? only its massssive and really slowing down the page (And I can't imagin how slow it is for dialup users) :(

.....and I couldnt imagine anyone still using dial-up. :lol:
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom