What's new

CANON 7D realesed!!!

My opinion.....

I too am skeptical of cramming even more sensor sites into a small area. My guess is that the 5D Mark I slightly used is still a better buy than the 7D brand new. That's were I'm headed.... 5D Mark I to accompany my 1D mark II. Both compliment each other quite nicely.

(the 5D Mark I will still have to wait as funds are dedicated to something else at the moment).

If you're shooting people in a controlled environment, i completly agree. But if it moves in lousy weather we all know which would be the better camera, even though it's got a smaller sensor.
 
I'm sorta interested in the other end too ... it has (if I read it correctly) ISO 50 too.

Eh? I only saw ISO 100.

If you look in the "Camera Controls" section of the DP review under Top of Camera Controls, it says there is an L1 setting (ISO 50) and an H setting (ISO12800) which are both enabled with the C.Fn1-3 control. I can't find this anywhere else in the article.

Oh. Missed that. Heh. Cool. :D
 
My opinion.....

I too am skeptical of cramming even more sensor sites into a small area. My guess is that the 5D Mark I slightly used is still a better buy than the 7D brand new. That's were I'm headed.... 5D Mark I to accompany my 1D mark II. Both compliment each other quite nicely.

(the 5D Mark I will still have to wait as funds are dedicated to something else at the moment).

If you're shooting people in a controlled environment, i completly agree. But if it moves in lousy weather we all know which would be the better camera, even though it's got a smaller sensor.

I wouldn't go as far is limiting it to portraits in a studio environment. I doubt majority of the 5D users out there limit themselves to a controlled environment. I've had low end cameras (even rebels) in light rain with no problem. It is all about fulfilling needs. For me, the extra mpixels are not all that important anymore and I see the full frame sensor with the 5D's proven performance more beneficial. My 1D MII is weather sealed anyways and it still produces excellent results.

I personally don't think the Canon line of DSLRs are well thought out; kinda crowded and there is a bit of competition between their models. I like it because it keeps the used market prices in check.
 
Interesting reading! I am enjoying this thread so much!

As of yesterday morning, I had set aside 75% of the cost of upgrading my 40d to the 5d Mk ii. I even rented the 5d mkii to 'try before I buy' ... and got amazing results in a low-light sports environment (ie. horse riding inside a poorly lit barn!!) With the announcement of the 7d, I have enough money to buy it when it eventually hits retail ... but should I? That's the big question.

I loved the ability of the 5d mk ii to 'freeze' the action and capture every tiny detail, even in poor light. Full frame is less of an issue for me. (Honestly, I'm still trying to work out exactly what it means to my work!!!)

So ... should buy the 7d ... or stick to my plan ?
 
I fully expect the 5DM2 to have far superior high ISO usabilty over the 7D - and if your working with horses more I would think that having a wider field of view might be beneficial (since horses are big subjects).

One thing though is that for getting a proper understanding of the ISO performace of the 7D is that its best to wait for it to be in the hands of photographers first - wait till its in the shops for a month or so and then have a look at how people rate it.
 
I agree with Overread.... I expect the same BUT the advanced AF (f/2.8 at center, 19 cross points) and the 8 fps of the 7D might be the advantage during low light sports. I think you should wait and see... save a little more in the mean time. To me Canon is trying to position the 7D as the "sportier' version of the 5D with its faster FPS rate and more advanced AF system. perhaps I am missing something... afterall dpreview is comparing it to the 50D instead.

1D MIII (Higher FPS, advanced AF, 1.3x sensor, less expensive) is to the 1DS MIII (full frame, larger sensor) what the 7D (higher FPS, advanced AF, crop sensor, less expensive) is to the 5D MII (full frame, larger sensor). ???
 
Why is it that every time a new camera model comes out, there are the same tired old arguments & discussions? :gah:

Does and 8x10 image look good when printed out and held at arm's length? If so, then the camera is probably good enough. :soapbox:
I know, it's kind of funny.

When the 50D came out people ranted and raved about how horrible it was. Then people who actually bought them and used them posted their reviews... low and behold is was highly popular and loved by many (myself included).

Now the 7D is announced and it has an amazing feature set... and we have the same peanut gallery talking about how bad it sucks and how previous bodies did X better... and we haven't even seen it in our greedy little hands yet.

It's a vicious and never ending cycle. People just love being unhappy I guess.

Maybe. But the sample images on DPreview.com are not very convincing, IMO. Would be interested in a high ISO comparison between the D90 & 7D... I would gladly make the switch to Canon if the 7D was better in that regard. But I'm not holding my breath.

IQ is atrocious at ISO 1600:

http://a.img-dpreview.com/gallery/canoneos7d_preview/originals/img_2566.jpg

And pretty bad at ISO 800. IMO, of course.
 
First of all, the 40D and 50D were good at high ISO's. Nikon played catch up until they put out the D90.

How do you know the D300 has better AF performance and ergonomics? Have you held a 7D? Have you seen the AF working? The camera was just announced this week.

You know why the 5D MKII is so hard to find? All the videographers that are shooting video. SLR photographers may not, but there are sure a hell of a lot of video people that were super excited about the 5D MKII and use it. I think it's even getting some time in the spot light for being used in some up coming main stream movie or another.

1) I refer to DPReview's 50D review: Canon EOS 50D Review: 31. Conclusion: Digital Photography Review

"in terms of per-pixel sharpness the 50D cannot quite keep up with the better 10 or 12 megapixel APS-C DSLRs in the market. At higher sensitivities the smaller photosites are clearly producing more noise (as shown from our RAW comparisons) and so Canon is having to apply more noise reduction to keep to acceptable noise levels, this of course means a loss of detail from ISO 1600 upwards."

And

"At a pixel density of 4.5 MP/cm² (40D: 3.1 MP/cm², 1Ds MkIII: 2.4 MP/cm²) the lens becomes the limiting factor. Even the sharpest primes at optimal apertures cannot (at least away from the center of the frame) satisfy the 15.1 megapixel sensors hunger for resolution."

And finally:

"In some areas such as dynamic range and high ISO performance it's actually worse and that simply makes you wonder if the EOS 50D could have been an (even) better camera if its sensor had a slightly more moderate resolution."

which makes me think, we're probably going to see the same concerns about the 7D now. In fact, after seeing the sample images that DPReview took, I have to be a bit concerned with even ISO 800 performance which shows significant loss of detail and noise. From Canon EOS 7D Preview Samples Gallery: Digital Photography Review



2) I'm referring more to the 51-point AF sensor on the D300 with that general "AF is better" statement.

3) I never said adding video to the 5DMkII or to cameras in general was a bad business decision. It's obviously making Nikon and Canon some money. However, it doesn't apply to *my* criteria as a customer nor to many other customers like me, and therefore I couldn't give two twats about whether video was or was not included so long as some other feature didn't suffer as a result.

People are still getting good high ISO shots out of a 50D. Because it's not as good as a D90, doesn't mean it's bad.

So do you know if the 7D has faster AF and better tracking? You're making assumptions.

blach said:
I don't shoot video and I don't know many SLR photographers who do. Once you get past the hype you see a catch-up product and marketing selling points

You sure make it sound like a bad business decision with a statement like that.
 
IQ is atrocious at ISO 1600:

http://a.img-dpreview.com/gallery/canoneos7d_preview/originals/img_2566.jpg

And pretty bad at ISO 800. IMO, of course.
Ahh, the same people that claimed the 50D sucked so bad... then when actual users got theirs and did independent tests between the 40D and 50D like this one they discovered the 50D was actually quite good. In this review the owner put the 50D above the 40D in performance. The 50D gave us 50% more pixels with little loss of ISO performance. For the birders out there, this was something they welcomed with open arms as it gave them the ability to crop even more and maintain a high IQ.

Here's a non-DPReview image in a very challenging venue taken by a 7D at ISO 1600: http://ftp.robgalbraith.com/public_files/Canon_EOS_7D_ISO1600_Reggae.jpg

Here's ISO 3200 in the same demanding circumstances: http://ftp.robgalbraith.com/public_files/Canon_EOS_7D_ISO3200_Reggae.jpg

I'm pretty impressed.
 
Why is it that every time a new camera model comes out, there are the same tired old arguments & discussions? :gah:

Does and 8x10 image look good when printed out and held at arm's length? If so, then the camera is probably good enough. :soapbox:
I know, it's kind of funny.

When the 50D came out people ranted and raved about how horrible it was. Then people who actually bought them and used them posted their reviews... low and behold is was highly popular and loved by many (myself included).

Now the 7D is announced and it has an amazing feature set... and we have the same peanut gallery talking about how bad it sucks and how previous bodies did X better... and we haven't even seen it in our greedy little hands yet.

It's a vicious and never ending cycle. People just love being unhappy I guess.

Maybe. But the sample images on DPreview.com are not very convincing, IMO. Would be interested in a high ISO comparison between the D90 & 7D... I would gladly make the switch to Canon if the 7D was better in that regard. But I'm not holding my breath.

IQ is atrocious at ISO 1600:

http://a.img-dpreview.com/gallery/canoneos7d_preview/originals/img_2566.jpg

And pretty bad at ISO 800. IMO, of course.

That to you is bad? In comparison to what? A 5D MkII? Seriously now, give credit where credit is due. :lol:

Tharm: Heh. Look at the image at a reasonable distance and resolution, and it looks fine. Nothing a little noise reduction couldn't spruce up.
 
My friend is getting it, can't wait to play around with it
 
That to you is bad? In comparison to what? A 5D MkII? Seriously now, give credit where credit is due. :lol:

In comparison with a D700. :lol: My bad. But I own a D90 also, so I was kind of hoping that the new 7D would do better than the 40D/50D AND Nikon's crop factor dSLRs. We'll have to see about that, I guess. But... I'm not a brand loyalist. I may just replace my D90 with a 50D or 7D before I invest in a 600mm f/4 prime.



Ahh, the same people that claimed the 50D sucked so bad... then when actual users got theirs and did independent tests between the 40D and 50D like this one they discovered the 50D was actually quite good. In this review the owner put the 50D above the 40D in performance. The 50D gave us 50% more pixels with little loss of ISO performance. For the birders out there, this was something they welcomed with open arms as it gave them the ability to crop even more and maintain a high IQ.

Here's a non-DPReview image in a very challenging venue taken by a 7D at ISO 1600: http://ftp.robgalbraith.com/public_files/Canon_EOS_7D_ISO1600_Reggae.jpg

Here's ISO 3200 in the same demanding circumstances: http://ftp.robgalbraith.com/public_files/Canon_EOS_7D_ISO3200_Reggae.jpg

I'm pretty impressed.

Thanks.

Yes... DPReview went way overboard with their 50D review.
 
I don't really understand the 18MP thing, but it still sounds like a nice camera. Adjustable video framerate is a nice feature too. A lot of people complained about the 5D2 not having that. Still has large shoes to fill, the D300 is one heck of a camera.
 
For less than the price of a 70-200 2.8L IS, I could pick up this as my second body, replacing the Rebel..... mmmmmm tempting!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom