What's new

CANON 7D realesed!!!

I'll be glad to post images as soon as it's in stock anywhere I can order it. I need a 2nd body anyway and I wa thinking of buying the 5DMKII. However, I am getting the 7D and moving my 40D to my backup body. Honestly, I am a bit worried about buying a 5DMKII right now. The 7D introduces some features plenty of people might want to see on the 5DMKII. Can some of it be done with firmware? Will we see a 5DMKIII? Who knows? Not me.

I just want to go with the newer body and experience some of the new offering.

Also, the links above of high ISO shots do not look bad to me at all. Comparing the 7D shots on that site to the 5DMKII shots on that site is an interesting look. I thin the 7D is doing pretty good. I would like to wait for more reviews, but that's just not me. :)
 
Can what be done with firmware? The more advanced autofocus? Additional AF points? Nope. The 5DII will still produce better images, but the 7D will be a rockin cropper!
 
I'll probably wind up with both, but I will start with the 7D.
 
Also, the links above of high ISO shots do not look bad to me at all. Comparing the 7D shots on that site to the 5DMKII shots on that site is an interesting look. I thin the 7D is doing pretty good.

Compare them to the sample images of the 50D as well, if you care enough:

Canon EOS 50D Review Samples Gallery: Digital Photography Review

It may not mean a whole lot, but it doesn't *look* like the 7D's IQ OR high ISO performance is any better:


50D at ISO 800:

http://a.img-dpreview.com/gallery/canoneos50d_samples/originals/img_3884.jpg



7D at ISO 800:

http://a.img-dpreview.com/gallery/canoneos7d_preview/originals/img_2601.jpg


Canon EOS 7D Preview Samples Gallery: Digital Photography Review
 
Would a mod PLEASE delete that image that Blash won't delete? It's killing this thread. :D

So wait, I only visit the thread once per day and that means that I won't delete the image link? Really? Some of us have lives off the Internet you know...

Image changed to link by semi-popular request. Seriously though, this is a photo forum. You should be expecting to see large images on this site. A large image is needed in that situation to show the presence of noise etc.
 
IQ is atrocious at ISO 1600:

http://a.img-dpreview.com/gallery/canoneos7d_preview/originals/img_2566.jpg

And pretty bad at ISO 800. IMO, of course.
Ahh, the same people that claimed the 50D sucked so bad... then when actual users got theirs and did independent tests between the 40D and 50D like this one they discovered the 50D was actually quite good. In this review the owner put the 50D above the 40D in performance. The 50D gave us 50% more pixels with little loss of ISO performance. For the birders out there, this was something they welcomed with open arms as it gave them the ability to crop even more and maintain a high IQ.

Here's a non-DPReview image in a very challenging venue taken by a 7D at ISO 1600: http://ftp.robgalbraith.com/public_files/Canon_EOS_7D_ISO1600_Reggae.jpg

Here's ISO 3200 in the same demanding circumstances: http://ftp.robgalbraith.com/public_files/Canon_EOS_7D_ISO3200_Reggae.jpg

I'm pretty impressed.

Those images are worse than what DPReview posted. The noise is visible even at the zoomed-out default thumbnail size. Considering the price you're paying, clean images at 800 ISO and small noise at 1600 ISO is not a tall order IMO - otherwise just go back to film where modern film emulsions can do 400 ISO with little grain. I'm just sorry people are still caught up in the megapixel race when a 10 or 12 MP sensor is more than enough for the vast majority of prosumers that this is marketed to and would be able to provide very clean images with today's sensor technology.
 
The noise is visible even at the zoomed-out default thumbnail size. Considering the price you're paying, clean images at 800 ISO and small noise at 1600 ISO is not a tall order IMO - otherwise just go back to film where modern film emulsions can do 400 ISO with little grain. I'm just sorry people are still caught up in the megapixel race when a 10 or 12 MP sensor is more than enough for the vast majority of prosumers that this is marketed to and would be able to provide very clean images with today's sensor technology.

Clean images at ISO 800?! If only. I don't think that's what you're paying for. It is an APS-C sensor, after all.

The Nikon D90 handles noise better at higher ISO levels, IMO, but it still doesn't convince... at all.

Nikon D90 at ISO 800:

http://a.img-dpreview.com/gallery/nikond90_samples/originals/dsc_0319.jpg


Meh. IQ quickly falls apart after ISO 640 or so.
 
The noise is visible even at the zoomed-out default thumbnail size. Considering the price you're paying, clean images at 800 ISO and small noise at 1600 ISO is not a tall order IMO - otherwise just go back to film where modern film emulsions can do 400 ISO with little grain. I'm just sorry people are still caught up in the megapixel race when a 10 or 12 MP sensor is more than enough for the vast majority of prosumers that this is marketed to and would be able to provide very clean images with today's sensor technology.

Clean images at ISO 800?! If only. I don't think that's what you're paying for. It is an APS-C sensor, after all.

The Nikon D90 handles noise better at higher ISO levels, IMO, but it still doesn't convince... at all.

Nikon D90 at ISO 800:

http://a.img-dpreview.com/gallery/nikond90_samples/originals/dsc_0319.jpg


Meh. IQ quickly falls apart after ISO 640 or so.

Exactly - that's a pretty clean image. Some noise is visible yes but individual strands of hair are not wiped out nor is the texture of her sweater. The D90 is also a much cheaper body than the 7D.

It's all about the design decision - why, oh why, did Canon put 18 MP in a APS-C sensor when they knew it could not deliver in the high ISO's? 18 MP is not medium-format size.
 
Noise in an image, or being able to get a shot clean enough to use, is all about exposure and processing.

If you nail your exposure or better yet Expose Right, you can get very decent images at higher ISO levels...with cameras that pixel-peepers consider to be outdated or completely unusable.
 
How about these shot in the last couple of days?

ModelMayhem.com - 7d

Check out the discussion. The images were shot between ISO 800 and 3200. The images are "good for print with no objectionable noise" according to the guy who took them. Stephen Eastwood (Google him) is a very well known photographer and pulls no punches.

Direct links to the images:
http://stepheneastwood.com/Canon/amy_7t/
http://stepheneastwood.com/Canon/iso_comp_7/

My opinion: definitely better, but then again he's an all-out pro. I wouldn't be surprised if he could do that with a 50D, as well. (RE: Big Mike's post)


The first direct link: Amy. The only high-ISO images are the last two, both were shot at ISO 3200. (the other four are ISO 100). Good for ISO 3200, I guess, but I'm surprised that he considers them "good for print." But I'll take his word for it.


Second direct link: ISO comparison 100-12800. Still a lot of detail loss at ISO 800 when compared to base ISO. Noise reduction seems a bit aggressive.


As of yet, I'm not convinced that the 7D is any better than the 50D when it comes to high ISO shooting. But we'll find out soon enough.
 
After downloading several full-sized samples from the dPreview gallery, it's clear that the Canon 17-55 EF-S f/2.8 lens looks absolutely horrible when paired with the 7D's high-density,small-pixel sensor. The pixels are packed really tightly on a small sensor, which would translate to 46 Megapixels on a FF sensor. Clearly, the 17-55 EF-S f/2.8 is being out-resolved by the sensor,and the lens is simply not up to the task.

There's a certain "video-like" mix of poor acutance and slight chromatic aberration in the dPreview full-sized samples. The London shots of the buildings and downtown landscape taken at 17mm look dreadful when opened up on my 30 inch Cinema Display--the images look about like a 20D shot with a cheap 18-55 pre-IS Canon kit lens. It's hard to describe, but I see a sort of veiling distortion,almost as if the images were shot through thick plexiglass. Fine,fine detail is simply not being resolved, even at f/8 and ISO 100 and shutter speeds that ought to be sufficient, like 1/320.

The few dPreview full-sized samples shot with the 70-200 f/4 L lens look better, but it seems clear to me that there's a problem with the IQ with the 17-55,especially at the wider end of its range, but overall, that lens is not up adequate to maximize the highest-density APS-C sensor yet made. What is troubling is the shot of the metal deer head sculpture: look at that image and see there's an overall veiling that's puzzling.

The Stephen Eastwood studio samples are not that impressive at a per-pixel level. Shooting a human face,professionally made-up under studio flash, and covering an area less than one foot tall and one foot wide is not much of a test. Large areas of even-toned makeup, a bit of hair, some eyes. Not much of a challenge for ANY camera, since the area is so small. Even the 14 MP Kodak SLR-n looked GREAT of model close-ups, but it had the infamous Italian Flag color banding and weird, very ODD problems with incredible color rendition problems on certain subjects, like yellow daisies, and brick wall masonry...but it looked killer on in-studio fashion headshots.

I have not seen the Robgalbraith shots much, but the one Reggae singer shot with the 85/1.2-L looks pretty good; I have a feeling that the 18MP pixel count will make a lot of lower-quality zooms like the 17-55 f/2.8 EF-S show every weakness they have. THis is not a direct fault of the 17-55 EF-S f/2.8, but it was designed when the highest MP sensor anon had in APS-C was what? 10 megapixels? Or was it back when they had 8.2 MP on APS-C? 18 on 1.6 equates to 46 on FF, so...it looks like lens quality will be paramount,if early samples are indicative of what the final camera will look like.

And the last point is important: remember how BAD, how very,very BAD Canon's original 5D official samples looked? They looked poor. Most all of the early 5D samples looked crummy--but the actual,production run 5D's images were and still are quite stellar. Maybe this is a similar situation, but I still am aware that this is the highest-MP count APS-C camera ever, and it will probably test most zoom lens designs,and it's possible I suppose that what I am seeing is *diffraction* problems at f/8. I would,in fact, think that tis high MP count will mean that stopping down past f/5.6, to even f/6.3, will COST YOU resolving ability, and so, the dPreview samples shot at f/8 would look less than optimal.
 
Last edited:
Noise is usually more apparent in a digital image than in a print, especially when we are pixel peeping. So when someone says 'good enough for print', it's easy to believe.

but then again he's an all-out pro. I wouldn't be surprised if he could do that with a 50D, as well.
I know a high end wedding shooter. Until he picked up a 40D, he had a 20D in his bag (along with 1 Series bodies). He always said that he never hesitated to grab the 20D and certainly wasn't worried about noise levels.
It's all about knowing your gear and knowing how to get the best out of it.

As of yet, I'm not convinced that the 7D is any better than the 50D when it comes to high ISO shooting. But we'll find out soon enough.
The target market for the 7D is probably not 50D shooters. It's probably 10D/20D/30D/40D shooters who now want to upgrade....or all the Rebel owners who want to step up (and there are more Rebel owners than all other EOS combined).
When you have a 2008 Honda Accord, you aren't likely to buy a 2009 Accord...so why be disappointed that it's not exponentially better? But if you have a 1989 Civic, the 2009 Accord looks like the cat's meow.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom