Canon 7D VS. 5D Mark II

CoralLink

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I mostly shoot portraits and Equestrian events. Looking to upgrade. Which is better for the cost? Canon 7D or the 5D Mark II. Thanks

I am just a hack amateur but I was going to get the 7d over the 5 because of the higher frame rate but that was just my 2¢ I shoot horse events reining and working cow and cutting events when I am not showing

When faced with the choice, 5D II for me. In the end full frame and better image quality was more important to me than the killer focusing system of the 7D.

Good luck whatever the final decision, they're both great bodies.

Thank you for your input! Due to cost I will prob have to go with the 7D, but am trying to decide on a telephoto lens. I am not sure if I want to just purchase the 7D body or pay the extra for the 28-135mm IS F/3.5-5.6 , I am looking at the - EF 70-200mm f/2.8L -Is this lens worth the price???

I may skip the kit lens and do the 7D with the telephoto. Any feedback?

Thank you for your input! Due to cost I will prob have to go with the 7D,
If you already know that, why are you asking?

...but am trying to decide on a telephoto lens. I am not sure if I want to just purchase the 7D body or pay the extra for the 28-135mm IS F/3.5-5.6 , I am looking at the - EF 70-200mm f/2.8L -Is this lens worth the price???

You probably already know this too. Just get what you want.

You already know you want to do that, so just do it.

To see if anyone has had any trouble with the 7D vs the 5D Mark II. No need to be crabby ;)

...but am trying to decide on a telephoto lens. I am not sure if I want to just purchase the 7D body or pay the extra for the 28-135mm IS F/3.5-5.6 , I am looking at the - EF 70-200mm f/2.8L -Is this lens worth the price???

If I had a never ending supply of funds I would get what I wanted and not worry about the price.....

Again I can't "Just do it"... Unless you want to donate to the "Coral needs a new lens fund......."

To see if anyone has had any trouble with the 7D vs the 5D Mark II. No need to be crabby ;)

If I had a never ending supply of funds I would get what I wanted and not worry about the price.....

Again I can't "Just do it"... Unless you want to donate to the "Coral needs a new lens fund.......
If you know you CAN'T do something because you don't have the budget for it, WHY ARE YOU ASKING US if you should?

Are you just into wasting other people's time?

Again I can't "Just do it"... Unless you want to donate to the "Coral needs a new lens fund.......
If you know you CAN'T do something because you don't have the budget for it, WHY ARE YOU ASKING US if you should?

I am not wasting anyones time, It is your CHOICE to reply to a thread Nobody is forcing you.... Thank you for your input. I think I shall find a different Photo forum people aren't very friendly on here ..................

When faced with the choice, 5D II for me. In the end full frame and better image quality was more important to me than the killer focusing system of the 7D.

Good luck whatever the final decision, they're both great bodies.

Thank you for your input!

I am just a hack amateur but I was going to get the 7d over the 5 because of the higher frame rate but that was just my 2¢ I shoot horse events reining and working cow and cutting events when I am not showing

Thank you for the input! Its nice to meet a fellow Equestrian competitor!

They are both good bodies, but they are suited to different things. The 7D has a smaller sensor (the same size as all the Rebels, 60D etc) while the 5D II has a 'full frame' sensor (same size as 35mm film).

The 5D II is ideal for optimal image quality. It also performs very well as high ISO....and being able to use higher ISO levels, allows you to get faster shutter speeds, which would be very helpful when shooting moving subjects.

The 7D has a faster frame rate and a more advanced auto focus system. This maybe makes it better for 'action' shots. Of course, you still need fast shutter speeds for sharp action shots, and while the 7D is good at high ISO, it's not as good as the 5D II.

The 5D, with it's larger sensor can give you a shallower DOF, which is often nice for portraits etc.

The 7D, with it's smaller sensor, gives you a narrower field of view. Essentially, giving you more 'reach' with your lenses.

I will agree that the 5D II is the 'better' camera. But there will be some situations where the 7D might be more appropriate...so it's not a black & white issue.

I am not wasting anyones time, It is your CHOICE to reply to a thread Nobody is forcing you....
I choose to reply because I try to be helpful. Finding out after the fact that my reply means nothing since the point is moot since the OP hasn't got the means is a waste of time.

Thank you for your input. I think I shall find a different Photo forum people aren't very friendly on here ..................
Before you go... I like to drive really fast on freeways and winding mountain roads mostly, but once in a while I drive slowly on Parkways. Should I get a new BMW or would the new Jetta be okay?

Oh, and by the way, I can't afford a new BMW. So, which one should I get?

They are both good bodies, but they are suited to different things. The 7D has a smaller sensor (the same size as all the Rebels, 60D etc) while the 5D II has a 'full frame' sensor (same size as 35mm film).

The 5D II is ideal for optimal image quality. It also performs very well as high ISO....and being able to use higher ISO levels, allows you to get faster shutter speeds, which would be very helpful when shooting moving subjects.

The 7D has a faster frame rate and a more advanced auto focus system. This maybe makes it better for 'action' shots. Of course, you still need fast shutter speeds for sharp action shots, and while the 7D is good at high ISO, it's not as good as the 5D II.

The 5D, with it's larger sensor can give you a shallower DOF, which is often nice for portraits etc.

The 7D, with it's smaller sensor, gives you a narrower field of view. Essentially, giving you more 'reach' with your lenses.

I will agree that the 5D II is the 'better' camera. But there will be some situations where the 7D might be more appropriate...so it's not a black & white issue.

Thank you! I mostly work is outside and so lighting is not really an issue, I am looking for something that is faster b/c I shoot moving object ie. horses and wildlife.

faster frames per sec = more bad shots :lmao:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back