Canon A1 dark corners on focusing screen

Owen Shelton

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone
I have recently purchased a Canon A1
When looking through the viewfinder, the four corners appear to be getting darker progressively over time. As a result of this, I removed the focusing screen and noticed darkness on each corner as expected. I have fitted a new focusing screen and now it too also appears to be getting darker on the corners as before? Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as someone new to film photography! Kind regards Owen

Never heard of such an occurence. No idea what to tell you to do. Except to ask Damien for a refund.

Have you tried cleaning the screen?

It’s an odd one isn’t it!
When I took out the old screen, I gave it a little clean. It seemed to get rid of most of the darkness all though not all of it. I’ve uploaded a picture of what I can see currently. It’s not too bad at the moment, although I am worried it will become progressively worse.
I thought it must have just been a fault with the lens at first, so I tried the FD mount 28mm and 50mm lenses on my Canon t70 and that works perfect.
Thanks again guys

Attachments

• B0ABC3D7-31B8-48F4-A34C-EFFACCC3D122.jpeg
    B0ABC3D7-31B8-48F4-A34C-EFFACCC3D122.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 173
Going out on a limb and taking a WAG here, but could it be made of two pieces glued together with the glue in the corners beginning to fail? I had a screen for my old Miranda that actually completely separated.

Just opened it up again to have a look, it appears to be an oily substance. Connecting up the dots, I assume what has happened is the previous owner has perhaps over oiled the camera when getting rid of the ‘canon cough’. Any ideas for moving forward? Seems such a shame for an otherwise good camera to go to waste!

Other than having annoying oily dark corners to clean once in awhile, if it were me, I'd just use the camera.

^ +1

Yes, if the camera works and the lube doesn't get on the film I would just clean the area as best you can and go ahead with using it.

I think you’re right guys, it’s only affecting the focusing screen so it shouldn’t affect the film. It’s just a bit frustrating but not the end of the world!
Thank you all for your help! I really appreciate it!

Over-oiled the camera...strange idea...but given how some people are...I suppose a possiblity.

I've done it. :D

Not hard to do on those damn squeaky Canons.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back