Canon and image stabilization

Milhouse

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm a noob and have decided that one of the features that I would like (on my first SLR) is image stabilization (or whatever the manufacture calls it). I was looking on DPREVIEW and when doing a search for cameras with image stabilization, no Canons appeared. Is this because Canon called it something else or do they just not make any.

In the mean time I'm looking at the Pentax K100D (the K10D although very nice would probably be overkill for me). I just wanted to see what Canon had to offer.

Without looking, I would assume that these lenses are expensive. Are they just as effective as when the IS is built into the camera body?

Without looking, I would assume that these lenses are expensive. Are they just as effective as when the IS is built into the camera body?

You are right, IS lenses are more expensive than non-IS lenses. However, stabilisation built in lenses is more effective than stabilisation built in bodies.

OK, as a complete noob and a first time buyer of a DSLR camera, should I fork out the cash and go with a lens IS or save a bit and stay with the body IS. In either case I plan on buying quality lenses.

Since I haven't looked at Canon yet, my current camera selection is the Pentax K100D. I kinda liked the idea that with the K100D I will have the IS with all lenses, where as with the Canon I will have to get a regular lens with IS and a telephoto lens with IS.

Some put the IS into the camera (Sony & Pentax) and some put it into the lens (Canon & Nikon). There are advantages to both. In the camera, you get the effect with all lenses. In the lens, it's more effective.

On a related note, Canon just announced two new IS lenses...which will probably be more affordable than their current IS lenses. One of them will probably become the new 'kit' lens. http://www.dpreview.com/news/0708/07082007canonefs18-55and55-250.asp

What are you planning on shooting? The problem with IS is that it is the Must-Have buzzword in photography right now. But IS is like Teenage Sex - everyone's talking about it, few are actually doing it, and most of those doing it are actually doing it poorly.

Canon and Nikon have very good IS. The in-camera versions are not familiar to me, but as an avid reader I have yet to see a head-to-head comparison. True IS matters primarily in sports and action shooting, do not expect it to add magical stops to your exposure time. It WILL help, but it is no panacea.

So, to ask again: what are you shooting?

Canon IS L lenses have two modes, #1 is for low shutter speeds and hand held, #2 is for panning (sports), but at high shutter speeds the shutter is fast that the “IS”

For now since I am a true beginner, I would have to say what I would be shooting would be very broad and general. My main reason for a SLR is to take really good vacation pictures, so I would be taking general vacation pictures like events, landscapes, buildings (inside and out), wildlife, and some portraits.

I do like taking pics and plan to get more serious about taking them. I also see myself hanging around my home town snapping away at everything and nothing. I don't see myself specializing in anything at this point. I wanted IS to help me out a little at night or when indoors (or poorly lit areas) when using a flash is prohibited or not convenient.

Nothing wrong with any of that, seems like the perfect reason to get a nice digital SLR.

Look, all these manufacturers and companies are making great products right now at highly competitive prices. There's arguments to be made for and against every version. Nikon and Canon may have a lot of experience and are market leaders, but the truth is that their IS is legacy - it was developed in a way (and at a time) to work with film as well. That's why their IS is in the lenses. They're very good systems. Sony and Olympus feature new-from-the-ground-up digital technology, but it's not perfect yet. At your rate and skill set, both are good, and will continue to improve as you get better. You can't go wrong with either choice.

Personally I'm pretty impressed by Sony, but I'm so invested in Canon lenses that I'll stick with that brand for SLRs.

What is your opinion on the Pentax line?

I keep mentioning Pentax because they are really the only one that I have personally seen and held. I think that any camera in a given price range will perform about the same. I feel that for the price of the Pentax k100d you almost get the IS for free. The same holds true for the higher end K10D. This is my opinion partly fueled by the salesmen trying to sell me the Pentax.

I also just took a look at some of Canon lenses with IS and I think that going the way of the lens IS will put me out of my budget range.

My personal opinion is that it is overkill to have IS on all of your lenses, I just don't find it all that necessary. It is a nice feature to have, but it doesn't make the photos most of the time.

I would have to agree with lifeafter2am. The thing that will take you a lot further in photography is learning and using good photography skills. Proper holding of a camera and lens can do wonders for your shots. IS can be nice, however with good technique it is not that necessary.

The other thing I would suggest you do is look at glass. Spending money on good glass is invaluable. Good glass cost money, but good glass, if properly cared for will last a lifetime. Check the prices of similar lenses from the camera manufactures you are interested in. Amazingly, good Sony glass is usually 30% more than similar Canon or Nikon glass with IS in the lenses. First one that comes to mind is the 70-200 f2.8 lenses. I have never compared quality Pentax glass to Canon and Nikon for price.

Here is a good link to learning to use a DSLR:
http://digital-photography-school.c...amera-for-christmas-learn-how-to-use-it-here/

Being a new comer to DSLR as well I would say not to worry about it.
If anything, when I got my XT one of the things I had to "teach" myself (and still learning) is not to shake around when taking my pictures.
Just take a deep breath, snap, and exhale.

To me, part of the fun of having a new camera is getting that perfect shot all on your own, without an IS. It saves you money in the long run anyways. You can always get a lens down the line that has IS if you really get into photography and begin to look for a specific lens. Right now just get a Standard 18-55mm and have fun.

True IS matters primarily in sports and action shooting, do not expect it to add magical stops to your exposure time. It WILL help, but it is no panacea.

I have to disagree with this, in my experience, its useless for fast moving subjects (sports and action) , it can be very effective with slow moving subjects or shooting still subjects handheld. High ISO perfomance is better for action and sports than IS or the obvious, a faster lens. Just my opinion.

There is the mode 2, which provides stabilization in the direction the camera is moving, vice all directions. Can be helpful for panniing in one direction (cars), where slower shutter speeds are actually desired to show motion, but you want to capture the object being panned .

I personally think it's a nice feature and has saved many photos for me. I think of it as a tool to help improve my handheld shots where the subject is stationary or moving slow.

Consider the lens it's on in addition to the high ISO performance of the camera in question.

Most reactions

Back