Canon and Nikon lens question

imstuner

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi I wanted to know what Nikon has that equal to the Canon L series lens?
Sorry newbie question.

"Gold-ring" glass - look for the lenses that have a thin, gold band at the big end.

Nikon doesn't have a specific label for their "pro" line. All their current pro lens does have the gold ring on it but their older pro lens does not have this trademark.

Nikon has "expensive lenses" that are the equal, or better, of Canon's L series. Nikon doesn't produce a labeled line that tells people what's good and what's crap. They assume their buyers can differentiate between professionally capable lenses and amateur and consumer-grade glass.

Oh ok.

Well My friend wants to get a DSLR and we are trying to figure out what his needs are and which way to go. He has narrow it down to Nikon D7000 and Canon 60d. I don't know much about Nikon so I can't really recommend anything to him. We are just weekend shooters.

The closest thing to the "L" symbol on Nikon is "ED." But it isn't always applicable, you won't find it on the lower focal lengths--it stands for "extra low dispersion" glass, which is only needed on longer focal length lenses.

Oh ok.

Well My friend wants to get a DSLR and we are trying to figure out what his needs are and which way to go. He has narrow it down to Nikon D7000 and Canon 60d. I don't know much about Nikon so I can't really recommend anything to him. We are just weekend shooters.

I'd say the 7D and D7000 would be more of a debate, but since it's between the 60D and D7000 the obvious choice would be the Nikon if no other investment were made between each brand.

Oh ok.

The Canon 7D, 60D and Nikon D7000 - with their very high pixel densities and very strong anti-aliasing filters - "require" very sharp glass. That doesn't necessarily mean pro-level lenses, though. The consumer-grade Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 (non-VC) handily beats out many "pro-level" Canon and Nikon zoom lenses in terms of sharpness, for example:

Tamron AF 17-50mm f/2.8 SP XR Di II LD Aspherical [IF] (Nikon) - Review / Test Report - Analysis

Build quality and autofocus speed- and accuracy is another matter, of course.

But anyway. Nikon's "professional-level" zooms. Just 4, really:

14-24 f/2.8
24-70 f/2.8
70-200 f/2.8 VR II
200-400 f/4 VR II

The 17-35 f/2.8 as well, but it's an outdated design. The 16-35 f/4 VR is much sharper - but is not built to pro standards, IMO.

Primes:

24 f/1.4
35 f/1.4

85 f/1.4
105mm f/2.8 Micro
105 f/2 DC
135 f/2 DC
200 f/2
300 f/2.8
400 f/2.8
500 f/4
600 f/4

I don't think the 50mm f/1.4 belongs in that list, but I'm sure some will disagree. This is just from memory, but those are the main ones. The outdated 14 f/2.8 and 200 f/4 micro are still in production, as far as I know.

Then *I think* there are a few DX lenses that are built to pro standards. The 17-55 f/2.8 and, I guess, the 12-24. Not sure, though.

I'm surprised no one else as written this:

Nikon doesn't have anything that compares to L-Glass! Nobody has anything close to L-Glass! Canon Rules!

Oh baby, it's so on!:lmao:

Nikon has "expensive lenses" that are the equal, or better, of Canon's L series. Nikon doesn't produce a labeled line that tells people what's good and what's crap. They assume their buyers can differentiate between professionally capable lenses and amateur and consumer-grade glass.

Which is why Canon can sell cool gear like this:
so_great.jpg

Nikon owners wouldn't know if their 70-200mm coffee mug was a quality mug with weather sealing or not. :mrgreen: :lmao: :lol:

Darn it I'm starting to want one of those mugs!!

And I'm always surprised that Nikon doesn't have a denotion for their pro series lenses - certainly from a marketing perspective it must help drive sales for canon on expensive lenses just with the L notation (ignoring the whiteness which is only on the longer telephotos anyway).
If I were after a pro grade nikon lens all I could say is "give me the one with the biggest price tag" whilst canon you can say "I want L grade!

T2ghhqXgNbXXXXXXXX_90043343.jpg

Nikkor 24-70 f/2.8 and 70-200 f/2.8 VR-II coffee mugs...for those who want their car windows smashed in...

I'm surprised no one else as written this:

Nikon doesn't have anything that compares to L-Glass! Nobody has anything close to L-Glass! Canon Rules!

Oh baby, it's so on!:lmao:

I'm a nikon guy personally.

However both companies are equal in terms of lens quality for the most part. If one was really better, the other would be out of business by now.

That being said, nikon has one distinct advantage with their lenses: they haven't changed their lens mount in 50 years, and are VERY backwards compatible. Canon on the other hand changed from FD to EOS in 1985, so anything made before then won't work on modern dslrs.

I am starting to think that I reaaally want one of them. I dont even drink coffee. I read somewhere that they had one that actually zooms and has an extendable barrel?

Mark

Most reactions

Back