Canon: Camera Market Saturated

To be honest, I just want to improve my photography, rather than snap buy every latest model on the market

With mobile/cell phones having the ability to take photos, it is in no doubt that the market is saturated

Well, there is another aspect.
$1000 cameras.
Really?

The only solution is to make cameras that break sooner so the public will have to buy replacements. :cool:

Surely it should be everyone who wants an expensive camera and can afford one has one? I would love an R6 but it is not going to happen in the next few years.

Hello,
I have been indecisive about buying a Nikon full frame camera as of late. I have been saving for the purchase but even with the funds available, I worry about utilizing expensive gear out in the field. When I use something like a D50, I don't have to worry as much about what happens to the equipment, save the lens. Sure, I would love to have a full frame camera but I have much more fun shooting film with my Yashica, Minolta X-370, or an all around digital. It is an interesting article, especially about the new RF lenses with back light. Thank you for sharing the article!

I know this is a Canon thread. I have never used one other than my Canon AE-1. =]

Nope not seeing it, price for what I’m looking for is up, not down and fewer of them around.

Still believe shopping for "trailing edge" gear(i.e., recently replaced or a gen behind)usually delivers true value with little or no image quality sacrifice.

I suppose it depends on what your objective is and the nature of your photography. If you are a pro, you will %100 need to have a mirrorless in the bag. You may still use your DSLR for numerous shoots but there are shots, now, that mirrorless enables that the DSLR just can't get. You can't be in a with a pack of photographers shooting the same event and they get the shot and you don't because of your gear. That's why they can justify $12K telephoto primes.

I got one of the first R6's delivered to the US so I've had it nearly a year now and if I look back, I see over and over shots I got with it that the 6D Mark II simply would not. I chalk this up to 1) Very High ISO Performance, 2) IBIS, 3) Incredible Autofocus making my 100-400 with the 2x TC (800mm @ f 11) actually usable.

I am not a pro but given my experience with the R6, I would be on the list for the R3. I will definitely be on the list for the R7 if it is a mirrorless 7D Mark II replacement.

I suppose it depends on what your objective is and the nature of your photography. If you are a pro, you will %100 need to have a mirrorless in the bag. You may still use your DSLR for numerous shoots but there are shots, now, that mirrorless enables that the DSLR just can't get. You can't be in a with a pack of photographers shooting the same event and they get the shot and you don't because of your gear. That's why they can justify $12K telephoto primes.

I got one of the first R6's delivered to the US so I've had it nearly a year now and if I look back, I see over and over shots I got with it that the 6D Mark II simply would not. I chalk this up to 1) Very High ISO Performance, 2) IBIS, 3) Incredible Autofocus making my 100-400 with the 2x TC (800mm @ f 11) actually usable.

I am not a pro but given my experience with the R6, I would be on the list for the R3. I will definitely be on the list for the R7 if it is a mirrorless 7D Mark II replacement.
well nikon has had 1,000,000 iso DSLR cameras for a good time now.... And they also have live view which turns them into a mirrorless camera.

"about everyone who wants a decent quality digital camera — “that are particular about visual expression” — already has one."
Only one?

The over saturation is worsened that alot of camera generations are not really distinct versions at all... similar to chevy suddenly offering a 3.8 and 3.6 liter V6 engine for the malibu instead of the standard 3.4 liter engine..

"about everyone who wants a decent quality digital camera — “that are particular about visual expression” — already has one."
Only one?
If I suddenly came into a lot of money I would buy a Canon R5 or R6 but I can't really justify it to be honest unless I have crazy money.

The sad thing for Canon etc is that most people I know wouldn't do that even if they got a massive windfall. They just love their phones - who cares about quality!

Most reactions

Back