Canon EF 50/1,4 USM for fashion photography?

Rabieshund

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
How would a Canon EF 50/1,4 USM lens work in a studio? I don't mean traditional portrait photography, but rather just using studio lights to take fashion shots and similar. Doesn't even have to be a studio, maybe that's the wrong word to use. Like if I find a perfect place to shoot at with a model, and I use studio lighting to get a good picture, would this lens be good? If not, what do you suggest? Thanks. :)

50_14.jpg

generally speaking this is a good lens (i have it myself) .. for portrait you might additionally want also a longer lens though (at least on full frame sensors).

shooting film or digital? full frame or crop sensor?

I already have a 75-300mm lens that I can use for portrait photography, but I was thinking more like full body shots and stuff. I'm also doing photo manipulations, so I don't want any wide-angle or tele effect, and that's why I'm looking for a normal short lens that is good and sharp! :)

I'm shooting digital with a 350D, so it's crop sensor (I think?!).

Rabieshund said:
I'm also doing photo manipulations, so I don't want any wide-angle or tele effect, ...

I don't have the slightest idea what you are trying to tell here ;) .. sorry ;)

Oh, and on a crop sensor like yours, 50mm is not short. 28mm is short, and there you will really get some wide angle effect, but not with 50mm.

I'm shooting digital with a 350D, so it's crop sensor (I think?!).

indeed!

.. in any case, that 50mm ist probably much better in terms of image quality than your 75-300mm :)

Well, I meant that I want it to have a "realistic" result. Pretty much what you see when looking at it with your eyes. That's why I don't want so much wide-angle and not so much tele effect. (Not talking lighting and colors here of course, just the optical effect) Ah well, doesn't matter since it seems to be pretty "neutral"...? Sorry if I confuse you. :p

Yah, it would be a lie to say that my 75-300mm is the sharpest lens in the world, hehe..

Also, I've read some reviews on Canon EF 50/1,8 II and it seems very good for a very good price. Should I buy that and save money instead? I don't care much about fast autofocus. There is so much I want to buy, so to me it sounds like a good plan.. Opinions?

OK, the most "natural" undistorted image you get with 50mm on 35mm film or a full frame sensor. The equivalent for a crop sensor would be around a 40ish focal length. If you go below you will get more pronounced noses and other body parts which are closer to the camera get more pronounced ;) if you use linger lenses the image gets (subjectively) more flat (often also more flattering).

Rabieshund said:
Also, I've read some reviews on Canon EF 50/1,8 II and it seems very good for a very good price. Should I buy that and save money instead? I don't care much about fast autofocus. There is so much I want to buy, so to me it sounds like a good plan.. Opinions?

It is not just the AF, 1.4 also gives you more creative freedom in terms of reduced depth of field and it is nice to have as a low light lens anyway. The built is also slightly better.

The 1.4 is the best value for money lens I ever owned (and still own). But the 1.8 is certainly similar in terms of value for money.

If you can afford the 1.4 without pain, go for it, if that one is out of reach though, the 1.8 will be a good alternative.

BTW, sweden is also a great country for outdoor photography... you often have some stunning light there :) And around midsummer that magic hour is sooo damn long ;)

On your 350D, a 50mm lens will be the equivalent of around 75mm. A 30mm or 35mm lens would be more "what you see is what you get." Don't rule a 50mm lens, though. You'll just have to stand a bit more back from your subject. And the 50mm f/1.8 lens is the bargain of the century, as I keep telling people. I bought a 50mm f/1.4 because I could afford it, and because I do extreme low-light photography, but if you're on a budget, get the f/1.8 and you won't be disappointed.

I think any lens will work if it fits your personal style as many people get great fashion, portrait, etc. photos from a 50 as get it from a wide angle or a tele. As far as optics go this lens is excellent.

Thanks guys!

Mad_Gnome: Yes, I read that it would be equivalent of 75-80mm with my sensor. I think it will be ok though! And yes, the 50mm f1.8 is a killer bargain. Though I've read that material is kinda plastic and that it breaks very easily, but for that price, I just gotta buy it. I'll be careful. ;) I won't have so much money and buying my first studio equipment is important to me too. So yeah. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back