Canon Elan 7NE Lens

vonDrehle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been looking around for a good Macro lens and a good landscape lens. Not wanting to buy a lens just by the sample photo, I was hoping maybe someone here could give me a good idea of a good lens.
Thanks

Canon has a nice 100mm F2.8 Macro lens, there is a 50mm F2.5 & 180mm F3.5. Another alternative would be to get a set of extension tubes that would allow any lens to focus much closer than normal.

Other companies also make 'macro' lenses. Check Sigma & Tamron.

A 'landscape lens' is a pretty broad description. Just about any lens could be used for landscapes. I personally like wide angle for that kind of stuff.

Yeah wide angle is what I was thinking about. I'm just not sure if there is a good wide angle for more distant things.

vonDrehle said:
I'm just not sure if there is a good wide angle for more distant things.

:scratch: :scratch: I'm not sure what you mean by that...

Do you want a wide zoom lens? or would a prime lens be OK? Are you concerned about barrel distortion? chromatic aberration?

Usually, you don't need a fast (wide aperture) lens for landscape because
a)your subjects usually don't move very fast
b)the use of a tripod is recommended whenever possible.

I'm not really sure what I was asking either. :meh:

What would you suggest as a good wide angle lens?

vonDrehle said:
Yeah wide angle is what I was thinking about. I'm just not sure if there is a good wide angle for more distant things.

That's a bit of an oxymoron. A wide angle does not give you a good view of distant things. It gives you a very wide angle of view and allows you to cover a large scene all in one shot. A telephoto lens would be for photographing more distant things. You can get a good telephoto that doubles as a macro lens. The Canon 180mm Macro, as Big Mike mentioned, is a great one, but comes with a hefty price tag of around $1200.

A good wide angle would be the Canon 17-40 f/4 L, or as a slightly cheaper alternative, the Tamron 17-35 f/2.8.

The thing with macro/landscape lens is that for landscapes you want a wide angle, and for telephoto you usually want at least 100mm... if you're photographing insects... etc.

For flowers, a wide angle macro would be good. You could try putting extension tubes on the 17-40, but I'm not sure the quality is gonna be very high.

DocFrankenstein said:
The thing with macro/landscape lens is that for landscapes you want a wide angle, and for telephoto you usually want at least 100mm... if you're photographing insects... etc.

For flowers, a wide angle macro would be good. You could try putting extension tubes on the 17-40, but I'm not sure the quality is gonna be very high.

Yeah I'm more interested in flowers and plants then bugs. My current lens is a 28mm - 105mm. Can you suggest any specific good wide angle macro lenses that would fit on a Elan 7ne?

Most reactions

Back