Canon FTb Black spot on mirror

It looks to me like,maybe, the silvering on the substrate of the mirror has deteriorated, and I suspect that this cannot be changed by cleaning. Looks like you will have to learn to live with it. The Ftb is a fairly old camera now, and as such, it's not unheard of for such an issue to happen. 35mm SLR mirrors are VERY easy to scratch when cleaning...believe me I have tried, and the softest of cloths or lens cleaning tissue leave slots of fine scratches.

The spot is BLACk, indicating to me that the spot is UNDER the surface..it is "in the middle of" the mirror, like the meat in a sandwich.

Accept it.

Hi Derrel! Thanks for the reply! I have another Canon but it is an FT (older model), do you think i could switch mirror? I can't find anywhere online if they are compatible, the other mirror, although older, is in perfect condition.

I would NOT try swapping mirrors, unless you are 100% sure that the fit is perfect, and you are experienced in camera repair.

The "problem" is cosmetic... looking at it, and knowing what I know, in would say that it is NOT A real issue, but I understand the OCD need to make the mirror look perfect. You are not the first person here to appear with a small cosmetic flaw in an older camera, and ask about mirror or viewfinder issues that have literally, zero impact, on the picture-taking process. As sparky mentioned, the mirror swings up, the shutter opens, the film is exposed.

The mirror looks 97.5% fine....maybe more.Leave it alone. ANALOGIES: Quit worrying abut the dead gnats on your car grille. And stop focusing on that dead yellowjacket your car smashed into, and that got stuck in the radiator.

It looks to me like,maybe, the silvering on the substrate of the mirror has deteriorated, and I suspect that this cannot be changed by cleaning. Looks like you will have to learn to live with it. The Ftb is a fairly old camera now, and as such, it's not unheard of for such an issue to happen. 35mm SLR mirrors are VERY easy to scratch when cleaning...believe me I have tried, and the softest of cloths or lens cleaning tissue leave slots of fine scratches.

The spot is BLACk, indicating to me that the spot is UNDER the surface..it is "in the middle of" the mirror, like the meat in a sandwich.

Accept it.

Hi Derrel! Thanks for the reply! I have another Canon but it is an FT (older model), do you think i could switch mirror? I can't find anywhere online if they are compatible, the other mirror, although older, is in perfect condition.

I would NOT try swapping mirrors, unless you are 100% sure that the fit is perfect, and you are experienced in camera repair.

The "problem" is cosmetic... looking at it, and knowing what I know, in would say that it is NOT A real issue, but I understand the OCD need to make the mirror look perfect. You are not the first person here to appear with a small cosmetic flaw in an older camera, and ask about mirror or viewfinder issues that have literally, zero impact, on the picture-taking process. As sparky mentioned, the mirror swings up, the shutter opens, the film is exposed.

The mirror looks 97.5% fine....maybe more.Leave it alone. ANALOGIES: Quit worrying abut the dead gnats on your car grille. And stop focusing on that dead yellowjacket your car smashed into, and that got stuck in the radiator.

Thank you Derrel! You are absolutely right, beside basic cleaning I will definetely leave it as it is. Thanks again for the usefull tips and for the good laugh!

Accept it.

Hi Derrel! Thanks for the reply! I have another Canon but it is an FT (older model), do you think i could switch mirror? I can't find anywhere online if they are compatible, the other mirror, altough older, is in perfect condition.

Accept it.

Thank you Derrel! You are absolutely right, beside basic cleaning I will definitely leave it as it is. Thanks again for the useful tips and for the good laugh!

Consider the FTB to be your connection to the late hippie era! Have fun with it, look for a groovy " hippie strap" for it on Etsy or e-Bay, perhaps.

The FTb is a nice camera. I shot one yearrrrrrrrs ago, as a boy. It's a sexy beast! Very slickly engineered.

Gee Derrel, I think you're getting a little off topic there! (but you gave me a good laugh!).

I would leave well enough alone, just use a rocket blower to blow the dust out (and yeah, replace the seals). There could be a smudge or like Derrel said it could be a bit of silvering. As long as you can see to focus it shouldn't be a problem.

Do what Sparky suggested. Whatever you do, don't squirt stuff in there!! No WD40, no Windex, etc. I've used ROR to clean parts on a camera but I don't know if it's good to use on a mirror or not. If you use anything liquid ever, like cleaning a lens with lens cleaner meant to be used to clean lenses, put a small amount on a soft cloth, don't put it directly on what you're cleaning. Moisture is not a camera's friend.

Try shooting a test roll and see what you get, and have fun with the camera. Get a hippie camera strap but no bell bottoms, please.

Gee Derrel, I think you're getting a little off topic there! (but you gave me a good laugh!).

I would leave well enough alone, just use a rocket blower to blow the dust out (and yeah, replace the seals). There could be a smudge or like Derrel said it could be a bit of silvering. As long as you can see to focus it shouldn't be a problem.

Do what Sparky suggested. Whatever you do, don't squirt stuff in there!! No WD40, no Windex, etc. I've used ROR to clean parts on a camera but I don't know if it's good to use on a mirror or not. If you use anything liquid ever, like cleaning a lens with lens cleaner meant to be used to clean lenses, put a small amount on a soft cloth, don't put it directly on what you're cleaning. Moisture is not a camera's friend.

Try shooting a test roll and see what you get, and have fun with the camera. Get a hippie camera strap but no bell bottoms, please.

Thanks for your advices too! I will keep them in mind! Have a nice day!!

hum ....... ahhhhhh....... okay. BRB

** heading out, arm with garden hose and check the car radiator **

cameraclinicusa

Good work, takes perhaps 2 weeks to get it done right. Things come back factory FRESH. Had two done myself, very happy. And you can get it converted for batteries.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back