Canon G10 Anyone?

Carmel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm just wondering if anyone has the g10. I'm at the store (I work at staples) and I'm wondering if it's worth using. The reason it caught my eye was because i thought it looked like the a-1... but that's not the reason why I'm contemplating it. I've been reading that it out performs most entry level DSLRs. Any truth in that?

I am a big fan of the G-series (with the exception of the G7). They have always outperformed the competition in the same class but I doubt it outperforms most entry DSLRs in terms of image quality. For a P&S it is above most with practically every feature found in DSLRs (RAW, E-TTL Flash, manual, etc). It is very popular for those DSLR users looking for a more compact backup camera.

I'm currently looking for a replacement P&S and right now it is a toss up between

Panasonic DMC LX3 (or Leica DLUX 4) - Very small, 24mm wide, f/2.0, glass
Canon G10 - Goes without speaking... not as wide nor as fast glass. More features but a bit large in size
or wait for a 4/3rds compact from Olympus - Size of a small P&S with interchangable lenses.

usayit is that the mini 4/3rds you're talking about?

The Canon G10 only has a 1/1.7" sensor (~5x8mm) with 14mpx compared with the 22x15mm 10mpx sensor in entry levels DSLRs like the Canon 1000D. I'm not sure where you heard that it outperforms entry DSLRs, but that is most definitely not the case.

That said it is about as good as point and shoot cameras get. Loaded with every feature you could imagine, except with non-interchangable lenses.

usayit is that the mini 4/3rds you're talking about?

Yup... the Micro 4/3rds
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0809/08092208olympus_micro_four_thirds.asp

I've been taking steps closer and closer towards the Panasonic DMC LX3 (or Leica version eh.) I was at my local camera shop and examined some test prints. I was pretty darn impressed. Plus the smaller size makes it even a better pocket alternative to the G10. In the end, I chose to keep saving and hope for the Olympus 4/3rds prototype linked above will have a release date that is reasonable. I am patient... still have my trusty but obsolete G5. If the Olympus is vapor or a release date of way into the future, I might just pull the trigger sooner rather than later.

I also had a play with the first 4/3rds camera the Panasonic G1. Very nice but not quite small enough to make it a pocketable alternative to what I already have.

Very desaturated and lacking contrast. Remarkable detail though. This is still an excellent camera for those people who actually edit photos in post.

dpreview.com has posted their review of the G10, and they even compared it to the Rebel XS/1000D.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canong10/page21.asp

At ISO 100 it looks almost as good as the Rebel XS, but then again the G9 test shots pretty much do too. At ISO 400 the DSLR is clearly ahead. At ISO 1600 the G10 looks a lot better than the G9, but still lousy compared to a DSLR.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back