Canon G15: Please tell me about this and its competition

I do wish G15 came with WiFi capabilities and 30 FPS. But, I really appreciate its physical controls just like on a DSLR.

If you'd like the camera to have WiFi you might consider the Samsung EX2F, but it's not well regarded for video. It has a shorter overall zoom range but the lens that it does have is excellent and a full stop faster than the lens on the G15. It likewise provides full manual control, a hot shoe for external flash and the ability to save raw files. It will cost you less than the G15 and what it does have that the G15 lacks is a magnificent fully articulated AMOLED screen that's best in class.

Joe

Appreciate the info and recommendation!

I do wish G15 came with WiFi capabilities and 30 FPS. But, I really appreciate its physical controls just like on a DSLR.

If you'd like the camera to have WiFi you might consider the Samsung EX2F, but it's not well regarded for video. It has a shorter overall zoom range but the lens that it does have is excellent and a full stop faster than the lens on the G15. It likewise provides full manual control, a hot shoe for external flash and the ability to save raw files. It will cost you less than the G15 and what it does have that the G15 lacks is a magnificent fully articulated AMOLED screen that's best in class.

Joe

Ysarex, I think that your comments are very valid especially the f1.4 lens As a dedicated Canon shooter, I do value the fact on the g15 that is has two wheels (top and rear) which essentially work the same as my DSLRs. At my age, jumping between devices and having the same look and feel is important. The wifi was never that important to me as I don't see any hassle in putting memory cards into my reader when I want to download, GPS sounds cool, but would I really use it? I'm not convinced.

To the OP, having also considered the Samsung and if you are not a Canon fanatic like me. i'd say it's definitely worth a look.

Well, I'm a Nikon guy so the familiarity factor would not apply to me :) BTW, fantastic pics with the G15!

Joe

Ysarex, I think that your comments are very valid especially the f1.4 lens As a dedicated Canon shooter, I do value the fact on the g15 that is has two wheels (top and rear) which essentially work the same as my DSLRs. At my age, jumping between devices and having the same look and feel is important. The wifi was never that important to me as I don't see any hassle in putting memory cards into my reader when I want to download, GPS sounds cool, but would I really use it? I'm not convinced.

To the OP, having also considered the Samsung and if you are not a Canon fanatic like me. i'd say it's definitely worth a look.

Well, I'm a Nikon guy so the familiarity factor would not apply to me :) BTW, fantastic pics with the G15!

Thanks Mergetrio

i really am not a very good photographer and these were taken straight out of the box. I can't wait to find out what this little thing can do once I learn its true capabilities. Can't wait for the battery to fully charge lol ;-).

Hope that you enjoy whatvever you buy. :).

Went to BestBuy to check out both Samsung and Canon and, apparently, they don't carry Samsung EX2F model - I might have to go online for these.

How does Nikon P7700 compare?

Personally I have a Fuji XE-1 for the spot in between my P&S and DSLR. It's image quality and flexibility approach the DSLR, interchangable lenses and really light. Honestly I had to replace my G12 with aLeica X2... Because the small sized sensor on the G12 was very poor at low light and high contrast... Most of my photography. JD

Along the lines of the Fuji XE-1...

If I wanted a P&S (XE-1 is an interchangeable lens mount and bigger than most P&S), I personally would go for the Fuji X20 (my wife has the XF1). I've been a big fan of G-series (G1->G9), but the Fuji offerings are compelling.

Along the lines of the Fuji XE-1...

If I wanted a P&S (XE-1 is an interchangeable lens mount and bigger than most P&S), I personally would go for the Fuji X20 (my wife has the XF1). I've been a big fan of G-series (G1->G9), but the Fuji offerings are compelling.

Stellar reviews on X20, though the video at 60 fps is a bit odd . . . . Still, this is my #1 choice at the moment! Thanks for the heads up!

I just ordered it!

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back