Canon L vs. Sony Zeiss

TiCoyote

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was reading about a photographer who switched from Canon to Sony, and he said the Sony Zeiss lenses really brought his game to the next level. Has anyone played with both and considered a significant difference?

I'm all Canon, mostly "L" glass, all professional weddings. If I switched over, I would need at minimum:
2 bodies
24-70
3 flashes

It's a short list, but it comes out to around $15k. How much improvement would I see? A little improved corner sharpness and a little better contrast, or something that would really make me sit up and take notice? I hear Zeiss is legendary, and my 1960 Rolleiflex has a Zeiss lens, and it is something special.

Yes, I know I could rent an outfit for a wedding, that would cost over $600.

I also know I can buy Zeiss lenses for my 5DII, but then I'd give up auto focus.

Are you that unhappy with your current gear?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't have any input but I'd love a link to the article you mentioned...

Being a Nikon guy I cant answer your question but I will ask you something..........................

How much better can a Zeiss lens be to make such a statement ?
If Canon would have made crappy product then maybe I would agree with such statement but so many professionals use Canon pro lenses that I just cant see any lens in this world that can be Sooooo much better that will make a big improvement in someones final results.

Thats just my personal view of your question.

Most Canon L lenses should be at or near the resolving power of most modern digital sensors. I doubt it is physically possible to see much of an improvement in final images from any other lenses, to justify switching anything (at considerable $$$ loss no doubt) for that reason.

At the extreme ends of a zoom range, wide open, in the corners? Yeah, maybe there's room for improvement. But who cares? And/or don't shoot images that require sharpness there, not very restrictive.

I also know I can buy Zeiss lenses for my 5DII, but then I'd give up auto focus.

Well that's not a good move, for a start.

I'd be surprised if Zeiss's lenses are significantly better than Canon L. Certainly not any kind of game changer.
Zeiss is legendary, (great legacy, great marketing) but that's rooted in the past, a Made in Germany past, like your '60 Rollei.
Find the MTF data on the lenses; I bet it's about the same as equivalent L glass.

Thanks for all the great points.

ConradM: I dug out the article. It's a 1-page Q&A with Robert Evans from the Jan 2014 issue of Professional Photographer. I noticed that he mentions he switched TO Sony, but it doesn't say what he switched FROM.
Here is some info about him, albeit from the Sony site: Sony | Robert Evans StudiosRobert Evans Studios

D-B-J: No, I'm not unhappy with my gear at all. I just feel that little bug chewing at me when I think that there might be something a little better out there.

When it comes down to it, contrast can be improved in Post, and minor improvements in edge sharpness are, well, minor. This probably won't be a big enough difference to gain me any additional clientele, so it won't pay for itself. It would be for my own satisfaction. Additionally, I would have to learn to use the new equipment, which includes learning all the tricks and nuances. As a colleague pointed out, what matters most is your technique (collective cheer from TPF). After that, you need reliable equipment that can keep up with you.

Just wondering if I backed the wrong horse. But in a race this close, it probably doesn't matter.

Thanks again!

I think the source should be considered. I don't know anything about the guy however during my lifetime I've known people who had to have a different car every year or a different firearm every year or two and sometimes a different wife/girlfriend every few years. My point is that some people are just never happy with what they've got and they're always thinking there's something just over the horizon or around there next curve in the road that is a whole lot better than what they have right now. I would expect that guy to switch to Nikon in a few years then write a big story about why he did that change.

Thanks for all the great points.

D-B-J: No, I'm not unhappy with my gear at all. I just feel that little bug chewing at me when I think that there might be something a little better out there.

Thanks again!
Oh I know all about the grass is greener on the other side sindrum, I get that a lot but the truth of the matter is that especially in photography I know the photographer is the main important factor, the equipment is very important but you truly can create magic with relatively cheap equipment so if you feel your picture could be better then its not because your camera or lenses but because you can improve your own skills.

About a year ago I was in a camera meeting and before the meeting people send some pictures via email to the organizers and the organizers choose few of them and we see them and talk about them.
I remember we saw one STUNNING picture and we all talked about it with the one lady that took them and they always show the camera and what lens it was taken with at the end of the discussion and I almost fell from the chair when I saw the picture was take with a Nikon D40 with the 18-55mm lens.
So dont be equipment envy, focus at what you have and improve your skills :)

Canon 85 1.2L > Zeiss 85 1.4, period

Sigma 35 1.4 > Zeiss 35 1.4, period

Sigma 50 1.4 ART > Zeiss 50 1.4 and Canon 50 1.2L, period

It seems like the best lenses are the Sigmas these days

Sony Zeiss 24-70 is also slightly worse than Nikon 24-70, and also worse than Canon 24-70 II

Sony Zeiss 16-35 is no match for Nikon 14-24 either

Most reactions

New Topics

Back