Lens Issue. Would like some input please.

warheit12

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I went hiking and decided to take just an old film camera and a 50mm f1.8 canon. However because some uncontrollable circumstance the camera and the lens fell into a deep pool of water.

Now I dont care about the film camera because I got it for 5 dollars(thank god I didnt take my DSLR), but is it even possible to repair the lens? Or is it even worth it?

This might give me an excuse to buy a new lens if anything. I do love the 50mm so I guess I would do a 1.4, not sure yet. I am going to try this camera store that does repairs from what I hear.

Anyone else had similar situation for lens repairs? Is water damage just instant death for a lens?

It's not worth repairing a 50mm f/1.8. That's a low-end lens... the whole point of that lens is specifically to be the most affordable lens in the lineup.

You'd do MUCH MUCH better to buy an EF 50mm f/1.4 -- which is a substantially better lens. It has higher build quality, more aperture blades for a more rounded aperture and better out of focus blur quality. It also has a faster and quieter focusing motor. Oh... and it has an indicator to show you the focus distance on the lens (unlike the f/1.8 version). That's actually a big deal for me when I focus in the dark to shoot star fields (when auto-focus cannot be used and I need to focus by judging subject distance or be able to accurately set focus to "infinity".

If it's an EF mount, you could buy a replacement for what the repair would cost. If it's an FD mount, you'll pay far more to repair it than it's worth...

Most reactions

Back