Canon lens help, frustrated

luvmyfamily

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am just not getting that sharpness with the 50mm nor am I getting the backround blurr as I would like. I have tried all different f stops, different distances (working on DOF), different times of day, and it is not sharp. What am I doing wrong? I liked my kit lens better. :grumpy:

Send me a bikini pic and I'll tell you what the problem is. This will be more cost effective than switching systems.

Send me a bikini pic and I'll tell you what the problem is.

Wouldn't do any good....all I have is a point and shoot pic. I never take my good cam near water. Had a photography friend take his $1600 Nikon fishing.....sunken Nikon, so sad.

That's ok I'll settle for a point and shoot image.
I'm user friendly

There may be an issue with the lens either front- or back- focusing. Get a newspaper, set the camera to single point focus, focus on specific text and remember where you're focusing. Shoot and look at the image to figure out what's in focus in the actual image to determine if the lens is front- or back- focusing.

BTW.
What does wearing a bikini have to do with water? Just put one on now and take a shot (with your good camera) in your clean kitchen ;)

I'm user friendly

lol....but it won't help with my 50mm issues. I am trying to get sharpness and backround blur. About had crying spell this morning, because I have been trying in all different lighting, all different distances. I did get one that was sharp, but not the backround blur I wanted. :(

There may be an issue with the lens either front- or back- focusing. Get a newspaper, set the camera to single point focus, focus on specific text and remember where you're focusing. Shoot and look at the image to figure out what's in focus in the actual image to determine if the lens is front- or back- focusing.

BTW.
What does wearing a bikini have to do with water? Just put one on now and take a shot (with your good camera) in your clean kitchen ;)

Why did you have to tell her before I was finished wheeling and dealing?

I'm user friendly

lol....but it won't help with my 50mm issues. I am trying to get sharpness and backround blur. About had crying spell this morning, because I have been trying in all different lighting, all different distances. I did get one that was sharp, but not the backround blur I wanted. :(

I told you yesterday to check back focus issues.

How are you focusing ? Are you using manual or auto focus?

PS i EXPECT A BIKINI PIC OUT OF THIS.

I'm user friendly

LOL, I am using auto focus. Back focus issues? These test shots with my new lens I took outside, not in my studio.

LOL, I am using auto focus. Back focus issues? These test shots with my new lens I took outside, not in my studio.

Meaning you might try tuning your lens.
There is an option in your cameras settings that allow you to tune the auto focus of a lens.
Check the cameras manual. It's in there.
Like Phoenix said..............use a newspaper and focus on a certain point to see what it's doing.
Then make the needed micro adjustments.
I'm betting that's what the problem is.
I mentioned this to you the other day...............and of course I was ignored.

Now where's my bikini pic?

Do you have focus issue even shooting f/8 in day time outdoor? Or only have issue when shooting at f/1.8 aperture?

Some samples would help. Must have missed a prior conversation about bikinis. The newspaper test is a good one for sharpness.

If you liked your kit lens better, then use your kit lens. You didn't specify which lens you are speaking about. Canon 50mm f/1.8? f/1.4 f/1.2,f/2.5 Sigma f/1.4, f/2.8?

Most likely not sharp because you are shooting wide open. Other than "L" Lenses, most primes are not their sharpest wide open. Plus you would have a fairly thin depth of field so it could be user error, or Auto Focus errors.

Hard to tell with such little info or examples. You could be exceeding your Minimum Focus distance as well. It also depends on subject size, distance from subject, subject distance from background, Aperture setting etc.

Whoops, it would help if I refreshed the browser once in a while. Looks like plenty of others have chimed in to help.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back