Canon Lens

drsajjad

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Which telephoto lens to buy
1 canon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
2 canon ef-s 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

I've seen the canon 18-135mm STM reccomended in some other threads and the couple of reviews I've read seem mostly positive though I've never used one myself. So in the choice beteween the two I'd go for that one though there are sharper lenses out there with less distorsion.

I'd stay away from the superzooms, as while they are convienent you pay for the trade off in image quality.

There may be a few others to consider, what is your budget?

Hello there, I'd go for a EF 24-105 F(4) L .... second hand, just my humble opinion. I have a EF 28-105 USM (f3.5 - 4.5) which was my all-way-round lens on my previous digital 400D but on my 5D I stopped using it as it wasn't as sharp as I wanted it to on Full Frame.

Thanks for the reply. I use 1100D and my budget is not that much for a L lens. And problem is the place i live there are no used photographic equipment shop and very few people selling their stuff online.

I understand but you had mentioned a budget of $ 500-700 so...I have seen on Internet (Ebay) offers for second hand EF 24-105 L in that range of price. I know several users of the EF 18-200 IS from Canon and they all seem satisfied with their lens. Be patient on Ebay and you'll find little jewels at reasonable prices but patience is a must !

Ok i have never previously tried Ebay but i will search for the lens there. But then i need to make sure they deliver to Qatar where i am currently living and working.

Adorama, keh and b&h photo video are all good places to buy used equipment. I've had good luck on ebay but I only buy from sellers in the US & Canada, and only with a lot of good feedback.

I will try them to find my required lens. Thanks for the replies.

Canon recently introduced the "STM" version of the 18-55 and 18-135mm. They lens focuses much faster, quieter (so quiet that it's almost completely silent), BUT... when they introduced the "STM" they also improved the optics. There's a nice significant bump to the optical performance of the new STM lenses. The "STM" version of the lens will cost about $50 more than the non-STM version of the same lens -- but in my opinion that's $50 well-spent.

The 18-200mm is mostly a convenience lens... performance features are entry-level and the images soften as you get to the longer focal lengths.

I'm going by the comment where you said you really wanted this as a general purposes walk-around lens. If you specifically want a more dedicated telephoto zoom (so no "normal" nor "wide angle" focal lengths) then the recommendations would be different.

Thanks TCampbell. Yes i just want to use it as a general purpose lens. I will try to get the STM version

Most reactions

New Topics

Back