Canon m50 vs nikon d5300

. . .
As for lenses for the M50. The M50 is a relatively new camera, and like the full frame Canon and Nikon mirrorless cameras, it will take many years to flesh out the lens landscape. And like the Canon and Nikon FF mirrorless cameras, you can put an EF to M adapter and use the current Canon EF lenses. And that means you have a LOT more than 20 lenses that you can use on the M50.

Rather than look at that lens count chart, look at the SPECIFIC lenses. What lens do you want, and is it in the landscape for that camera or is there an EF lens that you can adapt to the M50? As @zombiesniper said, many of the Nikon lenses are lenses that you would never get anyway, so they are irrelevant.
Without specific detail, I question the validity of that chart.
  • I think Nikon has FIVE 70-300 lenses, and that kind of thing totally distorts a lens count chart.
  • The chart shows 20 Nikon standard primes. I would really like to know WHAT those 20 lenses are? Are they including the old manual focus F lenses, and the mechanical AF lenses (which won't autofocus on the D5300)?

So getting back to the OP.

Lens Landscape:
If you look at the Nikon Z-mount lens roadmap you will see that the delivery of the various Z-mount lenses are over AT LEAST FOUR YEARS, 2018-2021, and likely longer.
Canon, however has not published a roadmap for the M50 nor R series mirrorless camera lenses. So we have no idea of what is coming and when.
As seen in the Nikon lens roadmap, it could be YEARS before the manufacturer makes the lens that you want.

The Canon M50 is no different than the Nikon Z6/7, you will NOT have a full lens landscape in the first year or two. It will take years for Canon to flesh out the lens landscape. In the mean time, Sigma and Tamron will probably step in to plug some of the gaps.
.​
EF to M adapter:
These adapters allow the new cameras to use the dSLR lenses to plug gaps in the mirrorless lens landscape, until a dedicated mirrorless lens is produced. This benefits the current dSLR owners who have these lenses, more so than a new camera owner who has no lenses. But if the lens you want is YEARS away from being produced, an adapted dSLR lens is the only OEM option.

Canon makes an EF/EF-S to M adapter to use all/most of their current EF and EF-S lenses on the M50.
I think if you buy the M50 kit from Canon, you can get the adapter at a significant price discount, when purchased at the same time.
One of my yearbook students has a M50. With this adapter, she can use any of her mother's pro EF lenses, or any of the school's EF and EF-S lenses.
.​
The EF/EF-S to M adapter is conceptually the same as the Nikon FTZ (F to Z) adapter, to use most of the current F series lenses on the Z series cameras. Note: The autofocus of the mechanical AF lenses (AF and AF-D) is not supported with the FTZ adapter.
.​
Comparison stats:
Stats don't lie, but they can be and often are, manipulated to show what the presenter wants to present.
The devil is in the details.​
  • Counting AF and AF-D lenses that cannot be autofocused on a D5xxxx is distorting the stats to favor Nikon.
    • The AF and AF-D lenses have to be manually focused on a D5xxx. See the next item.
  • Counting the manual focus F lenses is distorting the stats to favor Nikon.
    • You really don't want to get a manual focus lens, unless you have a special need for that specific lens. AF screens are difficult to focus manually.
  • Counting the multiple DX and FX lenses of the SAME focal length is distorting the stats to favor Nikon.
    • While there a five 70-300 lenses, they are all the same focal length. So is this really five lenses (which implies different focal lengths), or is it one? The stats probably counted them as five lenses.
  • Are all the lenses relevant to you?
    • How likely are you to get a 200-500 zoom costing $1,400, a 300/2.8 costing $5,500, a 400/2.8 costing $11,000, a 180-400 zoom costing $12,000, etc. etc.
    • These exotic EXPENSIVE lenses distort the stats.
As I said, I would like to see just what the 20 Nikon standard prime lenses are, to validate that they are relevant comparable lenses, which they are not likely to be.​

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back