Canon Nifty-Fifty

Their budget is indeed "tight" as far as camera lenses go... But with the price point listed, the 50mm f/1.4 falls nicely into that range. So the question is, why buy a 50mm f/1.8 for $100, sell it for a loss of ~$20 when the best price you are offered is $80, so now the 50mm f/1.4 is costing you $390 rather than if you bought it outright in the first place for $370.

Lenses are an investment, and cheap lenses generally are a bad investment. I say get the f/1.4 for the build quality, superior bokeh rendition, and USM. Skip the 50/1.8.

I agree with everything said here.

I bought the canon 50mm f/1.4 and am very happy with it. I never used the 1.8 but have held it in a best buy store and the build quality and just all around feel in my had of it does not come close to the f/1.4. I say if you have the money and its in your budget get the f/1.4.

Their budget is indeed "tight" as far as camera lenses go... But with the price point listed, the 50mm f/1.4 falls nicely into that range. So the question is, why buy a 50mm f/1.8 for $100, sell it for a loss of ~$20 when the best price you are offered is $80, so now the 50mm f/1.4 is costing you $390 rather than if you bought it outright in the first place for $370.

Lenses are an investment, and cheap lenses generally are a bad investment. I say get the f/1.4 for the build quality, superior bokeh rendition, and USM. Skip the 50/1.8.

I agree with everything said here.

I bought the canon 50mm f/1.4 and am very happy with it. I never used the 1.8 but have held it in a best buy store and the build quality and just all around feel in my had of it does not come close to the f/1.4. I say if you have the money and its in your budget get the f/1.4.

+2. The 50 1.4 is the best 50 in Canon's lineup, imo.

Sent from my Galaxy S III

I have the cheapo 50mm and I like it the AF is bad it is VERY loud and OMG slow.. I simply don't use it at all but that is no biggie as th FL is fixed. But it I had it to do over I most likely would have waited a bit longer and got the 50mm 1.4. I feel like the cheapo lens I have will last as long as I baby it ( I give it a year tops) the 1st time it is knocked or falls I think I will be out shopping for a replacement. It does take very good photos and gives me really nice backgrounds I like It is just not meant to last

Most reactions

Back