canon or nikon entry level dslr

Schwettylens said:
But I cant play games with HD DVD. Seriously I think thats why they lost. Because people rather pay $$ on a gaming system that can play HD movies.

Sorry this is off-topic but I doubt Sony's Blueray won because of the gaming. If you recall, Xbox 360 played HD DVD while Sony's Playstation was Blueray. So each was partnered with a gaming system. It was after HD DVD died that XBOX switched to Blueray. I really do not know how Sony won. Maybe they learned from when they lost VHS vs Beta.

On topic, from my experience, Canon users are smarter and better looking. So it's your choice! :p

Seriously, you really cannot go wrong here. Both are excellent camera lines with full line of accessories. The link below may help you decide.

http://www.digital-slr-guide.com/canon-vs-nikon.html

Both are excellent systems. Look at more than the body though. It's the entire system of lensed, flashes, accessories, etc.

I personally chose Nikon because of the backwards compatability of lenses. You usually can mount almost all of Nikons F mount lenses to them. There are some limitations as far as G series lenses in older cameras and limited functions with older lenses on new cameras.

Cannon has two main series of lenses. The old FD mount and the new EF mount. You can't mount the older ones with out buying some type of adatptor. This should not discourage you but is something to take into account.

I'm entry-level and I've been debating the two for quite some time. It seems that it's an apples vs. oranges situation. I decided on the Canon T2i. I hear that Nikon has better lens systems but I just don't know all that much about DSLRs yet, nor is my skill level up to par for that to be a deciding factor. I went for the overall package, I think the T2i provides a good platform on which to learn DSLR photography, a bit of growing room and produces good quality photos. And the price isn't too bad either. Once I become more advanced and know what specifications I want I may switch to another brand, but time and experience will tell. Again, they are both very good, but it just comes down to personal preference and a bit of research.

I strongly agree with the advice to try them both at a store. Both the Canon Rebel series (T2i/T3i) and Nikon (D3100/D5100) are good cameras...I was going to get the T2i until I decided the Nikon felt better in my hands. Also, I agree that it is a system...once you get into a brand all you accessories (inc. lenses that can be pricey) will be for that system so you'll likely end up upgrading within that brand when the time comes. I don't think you can go wrong with either Nikon or Canon as they both make fine cameras.

I was entry level once. Then after fooling with a D5000, D7000 I eventually purchased a D700.

I should've took advice and started with it.

If you wanna look cool, get Nikon. If you wanna look serious, get Canon. kidding, kidding. They're both great cameras and being that you're looking into an entry level from each manufacturer, you'll be blown away by either one.
I think the real questions is which color do you like better? Red or Yellow?

I was entry level once.

Yeah, but that was waaaaayyyyy back in....9 months ago. :lol:

Then after fooling with a D5000, D7000 I eventually purchased a D700.

I should've took advice and started with it.

What is your budget? Nothing wrong with starting out with higher end equipment, if you have the money ($2,000-$2,800 + lens(es)) and you know you'll be in photography for the long haul a d700 MIGHT be a way to go. If not then I would suggest an entry level camera and a decent lens. If you want to get into the higher end stuff, just take some time to work on your photog skills and build a collection of nice pro glass then look for a higher end prosumer/pro camera body. By the time you are ready for that D700 the price will more than likely have dropped considerably.

As for which is better, neither. They both have strengths and weaknesses and they change from one generation to the next. Both make great cameras.

I really do not know how Sony won. Maybe they learned from when they lost VHS vs Beta.

Pretty sure it had to do with the fact that a Blu-Ray player was built into and included with the PS3 while you had to pay extra for an add-on for the XBOX 360. One other perk that the Blu-Ray media had over HD-DVD was that it was much denser at 25GB per layer over the 15GB per layer of HD DVD. The differences that viewers saw ultimately ended up being over each manufacturers choice of Codec for video. Sony being sony, chose to use MPEG2 because it didn't want to use Microsoft's VC-1 codec (possibly avoiding some sort of usage or licensing fee) and Microsoft chose VC-1 because, well, they created it.

OP, I would choose Nikon as an entry level DSLR. They have a much better sensor than the entry level Canon's. If you plan to accumulate gear and make a high end kit at some point, you may want to look further down the road at what each have to offer in your area of interest and use that system though.

Netskimmer said:
By the time you are ready for that D700 the price will more than likely have dropped considerably.

Or they could make one even better for the same price the d700 is. And a lens that could have a motor in it that makes it's own pixels to go with the camera.

Nikon is currently better, the body and the lens. Look at the charts in DxOMark which tests the sensors and lenses, it would show that many Nikon is better. Canon always overprice things its lenses. Canon lenses with similar optical quality compared to Sigma cost a lot more.

Netskimmer said:
By the time you are ready for that D700 the price will more than likely have dropped considerably.

Or they could make one even better for the same price the d700 is. And a lens that could have a motor in it that makes it's own pixels to go with the camera.

What are you talking about?

EchoingWhisper said:
What are you talking about?

Well every camera has to be upgraded by the manafacturer doesn't it and it eventually gets better.

Dont just read on them, go into a store and handle them, see which one fits you, see which one has controls that make the most sense to you....consider the lens line up..consider what type of photography you want to do....everyone has their opinions on the best camera(s)...but YOU will be the one using whatever it is you wind up with.

Most reactions

Back