Canon or NIkon?

IMO, the notion that feel matters is a canard, because of our manual dexterity.

I have used many different brands, models, and formats of hand held cameras and the feel never mattered.

No doubt some adjustment for the varying location of controls and such comes into play, but otherwise 'feel' is not a consideration.

I respectfully disagree. After having years on Canon cameras I found Nikon very hard to navigate. Buttons not where I was used to etc. I'm not saying one is better than the other, just that if you are used to one, you will have to learn the other at a steeper curve than a camera of the same brand.

I respectfully disagree. After having years on Canon cameras I found Nikon very hard to navigate. Buttons not where I was used to etc. I'm not saying one is better than the other, just that if you are used to one, you will have to learn the other at a steeper curve than a camera of the same brand.

I find this to be true. The few canons I have used, took me a few moments I navigate. I learned on Nikon, know nikon, and most comfortable with it.

Im planning on buying a new camera very soon. I have a Canon Rebel T2i right now, and its been a good camera. Any thoughts on whethere a Nikon is "better"? Or should I stick with Canon?

I'm surprised you are interested in "upgrading" from a T2i. The T2i is actually a very good camera. You'd have to make quite a jump in price category to get a camera that's noticeably better.

What will likely make a MUCH bigger difference in your photography is to work on technique, lighting, and lenses.

The first "upgrade" that would actually be a NOTICEABLE upgrade (where just looking at the low light performance and image quality would be completely obvious that you've "upgraded") would be to jump up to a Canon 6D. But that's the entry-level "full frame" body so any EF-S lenses you own now would not be compatible with it.

Anything else is really just trading one body for another and while careful lab test might be able to detect a difference, you will not likely notice the difference.

Upgrading from a T2i means you'd need to buy a Nikon.

There have been five current and recent Canon APS-C sensor models, all which use the same old sensor that was premiered in the 7D back in 2009, and designed sometime in the 2007-2008 time frame. The 70D is the first update Canon has done to their APS-C models in half a decade.

If you want the best image quality in APS-C, you'd need a Nikon (or a Pentax), or as TCampbell mentions, consider going to the Canon 6D; it's got really NICE image quality, and the price on refurbed 6D's is really attractive right now.

No love for Chevy??

But I do own a Ford.

I have a Ford, and can't stand GM, so I'll say... Subaru.
ESP (though Gibson would be nice)
Pepsi.

Ever since I learned what Formula Ford was (no, not just now), I've wanted to build and race one. Can't find any used in this area, which is lame.

I want a Nikon body that will take Canon lens :)
I want a Nikon body with Pentax ergonomics. :D

Including weathersealing, flipscreen and sensor image stabilization.

About lenses - Nikon > Canon, overall. Even if just the slightest bit. I.e. they fit my needs better than Canon.

I want a Nikon body that will take Canon lens :)

John.

Nikon can't do that, but you can use Nikon lenses (and many others as well) on a Canon body :mrgreen:
If you're a masochist and/or dont care about modern inventions like autofokus.

The limitations of in-the-camera IS keep me away from the camera brands that use it.
Obviously for me, the touted advantages of in-the-camera IS don't tip the scales in favor of it.

Most reactions

Back