Canon or NIkon?

Both have their pluses an minuses. If we wanted a perfect camera we'd all be running around with Hasselblad's or Leica's.

The limitations of in-the-camera IS keep me away from the camera brands that use it.
Obviously for me, the touted advantages of in-the-camera IS don't tip the scales in favor of it.

Well, don't know anything about that, nor do I much care if it's Nikon, Pentax, Canon, etc - as long as it's fire engine red. That's all that matters.. lol

Seriously though Pentax does make a pretty good camera overall, I've stayed away from them based really just on market share issues. While I can find used canon/nikon equipment in droves trying to find anything for Pentax is like pulling hens teeth around here, at least locally - and the internet market does reflect that somewhat. A smaller supply of used equipment means a higher price on used equipment. Damn supply and demand.. lol

So that pretty much narrowed the field of options for me right there.

Its true though allot of people do buy Nikon and Canon because they simply don't know any better. But why not other brands like Sony or Pentax for instance?

Me however I shoot Nikon because I like the broad lens choices and I like Nikon's menu and control layout.

However Pentax offers weather sealing and alloy bodies on ALL of their DSLR's. Nikon offers weather sealing and partial alloy bodies starting with the D7000,D7100 while offering full alloy bodies and weather sealing on their FX bodies.

While Canon only offers alloy bodies and weather sealing on their full frame bodies. The rest are plastic bodies.

Sony has the most affordable lens lineup out of every brand. They also have the most advanced video mode.

You need to go to an actual camera shop to try out every brand to find out which body you prefer the most. You need to spend some time with an entry level body from each brand so you can get the full picture of how they operate. They all have their pros and cons but in the end they will also deliver outstanding performance.

Its true though allot of people do buy Nikon and Canon because they simply don't know any better. But why not other brands like Sony or Pentax for instance?

Me however I shoot Nikon because I like the broad lens choices and I like Nikon's menu and control layout.

However Pentax offers weather sealing and alloy bodies on ALL of their DSLR's. Nikon offers weather sealing and partial alloy bodies starting with the D7000,D7100 while offering full alloy bodies and weather sealing on their FX bodies.

While Canon only offers alloy bodies and weather sealing on their full frame bodies. The rest are plastic bodies.

Sony has the most affordable lens lineup out of every brand. They also have the most advanced video mode.

You need to go to an actual camera shop to try out every brand to find out which body you prefer the most. You need to spend some time with an entry level body from each brand so you can get the full picture of how they operate. They all have their pros and cons but in the end they will also deliver outstanding performance.

Very true. Reason I chose Nikon was the strength of the used market (important to me since I most of the equipment I'll be buying will be used), image quality and the feature sets for the cameras that matched my starting budget.

I looked at the Pentax K-30, and had the used market on Pentax been better particulary in my local area it would have been a much tougher choice for me, but I realized if I went with the K-30 I'd end up limiting myself to either shopping online or buying new, that's what tipped the scales for me. Sony - well sony had in part the same problem Pentax had, not as much of a market share so the used market wasn't nearly what it is for Nikon/Canon.

Very true. Reason I chose Nikon was the strength of the used market (important to me since I most of the equipment I'll be buying will be used), image quality and the feature sets for the cameras that matched my starting budget.

I looked at the Pentax K-30, and had the used market on Pentax been better particulary in my local area it would have been a much tougher choice for me, but I realized if I went with the K-30 I'd end up limiting myself to either shopping online or buying new, that's what tipped the scales for me. Sony - well sony had in part the same problem Pentax had, not as much of a market share so the used market wasn't nearly what it is for Nikon/Canon.

I also found this. Living in Ireland it is hard to get smaller brand items, even nikon/canon stock levels are not huge due the market. I recently bought a nikon d7100 but would have bought a pentax k5 ii if I lived somewhere with more of a market

Most reactions

New Topics

Back