First dslr - Canon or Nikon

AndrasFL

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
plus.google.com
Hey experts :)
I'm a noob.
Story short: My wife and I want to shoot some really good pictures of our 4 children.
We have already taken loads of pictures with our iphones and our not so good compact camera. But now we want to step up.
We will mostly be shooting portraits. But since we love nature and our kids do a lot of sports it would be good if the camera didn't fell short here.
Filming in hd is a must.
My eyes have settled on these two Canon t5i and Nikon 5200d. This is what we can afford at the time being.
I'm leaning towards the Canon because it is probably easier to use. Has a faster autofocus. And the kit lens is better.
Any advice is much appreciated
Thanks
Andras

Sendt fra min GT-I9100 med Tapatalk

Flip a coin, you can't go wrong with either brand...The reason why I picked Nikon is 2 of my friends shoots Nikon so I can barrow lenses from them.

I have used both. Nikon is superior in my opinion. As a beginner, I think you will find the ergonomics of the Nikon to be much friendlier.

Whichever one feels more comfortable in your hands.

One of my friends uses Canon. So perhaps I can exchange lenses with him.
Good point.

Hey experts :)
I'm a noob.

That's ok, we can get you a prescription. A couple of weeks and it will clear right up.. lol

Story short: My wife and I want to shoot some really good pictures of our 4 children.
We have already taken loads of pictures with our iphones and our not so good compact camera. But now we want to step up.
We will mostly be shooting portraits. But since we love nature and our kids do a lot of sports it would be good if the camera didn't fell short here.
Filming in hd is a must.
My eyes have settled on these two Canon t5i and Nikon 5200d. This is what we can afford at the time being.
I'm leaning towards the Canon because it is probably easier to use. Has a faster autofocus. And the kit lens is better.
Any advice is much appreciated
Thanks
Andras

Well as far as ease of use is concerned, I think you'll find that the two models you've chosen are pretty much the same in that category. If ease of use is a concern, I'd have you take a look at the Nikon d3200 rather than the d5200. Both are excellent cameras, the D3200 has a built in guide mode that can come in very handy when your first getting started. When compared to the t5i the d3200 has better image quality, better dynamic range, shoots almost as fast (4 frames per second to the T5's 5 frames) .

The T5i has in camera HDR and the flip out screen, the 3200 does not. But on the whole they are still pretty comparable in most other features.

The 5200 when compared to the 3200, well for the extra money you lose the guide mode but you get in camera HDR, a flip out screen and a very slight edge in low light performance. When compared to the T5i, well again your getting the much better image quality and if video is important, the 5200 will do 1080 at 60 frames per second as opposed to the T5I with does 1080 @ 30 fps.

So I'd recommend the Nikon myself.

While a guide mode is nice, I would not pick a d3200 over a d5200 just because of this. Chances are that you will only use the guide in the beginning but the flip screen for example on the higher spec camera would always be handy.

Either camera you mention would be nice. Whichever one you get it may be nice to add a fast 50mm lens and a speedlight (even 3rd part version such as a yongnuo yn 465). The 50mm lens is a good portrait lens for the type of camera you are considering

While a guide mode is nice, I would not pick a d3200 over a d5200 just because of this. Chances are that you will only use the guide in the beginning but the flip screen for example on the higher spec camera would always be handy.

Either camera you mention would be nice. Whichever one you get it may be nice to add a fast 50mm lens and a speedlight (even 3rd part version such as a yongnuo yn 465). The 50mm lens is a good portrait lens for the type of camera you are considering

Guess it depends - when he mentioned both he and his wife I'm assuming both will be using the camera, and while one of them might go gangbusters and want to learn all the ins and outs of the new camera, the other might not. They might prefer something that will let them use it in a more point and shoot type mode all the time, hence I recommend he peruse the D3200. The 5200 would certainly be my choice between the two, but then again I shoot in manual mode pretty much 100% of the time so a guide mode for me would be useless.

The flip out screen has no value for me personally, neither does in camera HDR - they are not features I use or would care about. So really when folks ask me for an opinion like this I prefer to point out what I feel are there best options based on the info I have at hand, point out the differences between them, then let the OP make the final choice because honestly I have no idea how important a feature like a flip out screen (or any other feature) might be to them. It might be they are like me and it's a "could care less" sort of feature, or for them it could be a deal breaker. Not a mind reader so I don't know. But the camera choice should be based on there needs and wants, not mine.. or yours for that matter.

these cameras look complicated for a day or two, once you spent a little time with it, it all gets easy and simple. Probably a week is enough for most. Menus and layouts are different, but it all depends on which camera you own. I shoot Nikon, my friend has Canon. I find his menu confusing, he can say similar thing about my Nikon. In reality it does not matter.

Re the choice between the two cameras I prefer Nikon for its better, more modern sensor - that means (slightly) better dynamic range, better image quality in low light and more freedom to correct your mistakes in post production. Nikon kit 18-55 lense is ridiculously good for the price. I do not know Canon enough to compare them in detail, but you can not go wrong with a Nikon these days. It is way MORE THAN capable for the kind of photography you are talking about.

Ford / Chevy... mostly opinions when comparing these brands.

Guess it depends - when he mentioned both he and his wife I'm assuming both will be using the camera, and while one of them might go gangbusters and want to learn all the ins and outs of the new camera, the other might not. They might prefer something that will let them use it in a more point and shoot type mode all the time, hence I recommend he peruse the D3200. The 5200 would certainly be my choice between the two, but then again I shoot in manual mode pretty much 100% of the time so a guide mode for me would be useless.

The flip out screen has no value for me personally, neither does in camera HDR - they are not features I use or would care about. So really when folks ask me for an opinion like this I prefer to point out what I feel are there best options based on the info I have at hand, point out the differences between them, then let the OP make the final choice because honestly I have no idea how important a feature like a flip out screen (or any other feature) might be to them. It might be they are like me and it's a "could care less" sort of feature, or for them it could be a deal breaker. Not a mind reader so I don't know. But the camera choice should be based on there needs and wants, not mine.. or yours for that matter.

ya whatever

The Nikon D5200 is superior to the Canon T5i
Canon has been producing its T line with the same sensor since the T2i which is continued to the T3i, T4i and T5i, this sensor is about 5 years old and in electronic age that's ancient.
The sensor is ok but not at the same level as the D5200.
In low light the D5200 has the advantage, the D5200 has exact same sensor that you have on the Nikon D7100, its a fantastic Toshiba made sensor, the Dynamic Range is simply fantastic.
The D5200 has the D7000 Auto Focus system and as a past owner of the D7000 I can tell you its an excellent AF system.
Also as a video camera the D5200 is considered an excellent tool.
The way I see it there really is no contest.

Ok. So there's a vague consensus that the d5200 is better than t5i, because of higher mp and bigger and newer sensor. I've seen some YouTube videos and they seem to agree that the d5200 is slightly better.
I've heard that the editing software that comes with Canon cameras is good. What about Nikon editing software? How is it?
I really appreciate your answers.
Andras

That is one area where I believe Canon has the edgr. DPP which is supplied with Canon dslr cameras is a very good software and raw converter.

I have used both. Nikon is superior in my opinion. As a beginner, I think you will find the ergonomics of the Nikon to be much friendlier.

I personally disagree. Canon's ergonomics are far superior to Nikon...especially with the little help pop-ups to explain different settings for a beginner. Ergonomics was one of the reasons I went with the 6D over the D600.

Most reactions

Back