Canon T1i vs. the Mark II 5D?

graecyn

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.littlelamplight.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am thinking of upgrading my current camera from the Canon T1i to the Mark II 5D. I've done some research on the Mark II and it looks great, solid, and definitely what I want. However, my question is this -

Would it be worth the cost of the upgrade? Or should I just invest more money in lenses? I'm hoping to hear from someone who has owned both the T1i and the Mark II and can give me some good feedback on the two models.

Thanks!

What lenses do you have now?

The 5d MkII would be a considerable upgrade from a rebel... If all you have is the kit lens (which won't even mount to the 5d MkII ... it's full frame, right?), you might want to spend your money there first...

The Mark II is a awesome camera and well worth the upgrade over your rebel, but its hard to say anything to spacific about lenses as you did not list what you are using

My lenses are listed in my signature. Can you guys see it or do I have it private? o_O

Lenses: 50mm f/1.8, 85mm f/1.8 USM medium telephoto, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG macro telephoto, 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS.

My lenses are listed in my signature. Can you guys see it or do I have it private? o_O
I see it now. I guess I just overlooked it on my first reply.

It looks like the 18-55 is the only EF-S lens? That won't work on a full frame camera. But, all of your lenses will look wider, so you might not even miss it.

...I think you still have a lot of room for improvement in your lens selection, but it's not 'bad' either. Personally, I would probably buy some more (really good) lenses first, but a new body is hard to resist, lol.

The T1i is not a 'bad' camera ... with good lenses, you can get very good pictures on it.

What exactly are you looking for in an upgrade? In what way is the T1i limiting?

Well, one of the major things that is bothering me about the T1i is the amount of noise that a photo can have, even with a low ISO setting. I mean, I realize that sometimes there is no way around it, but on some full resolution photos, the noise can be really distracting. I had read a lot of reviews on the T1i before I'd bought it this past November, and I noticed that noise in the photos was the big complaint, but I didn't think it would bother me. However after having the camera for a year, experiencing it, and not wanting to do anything half assed... upgrading the camera was the first thing that sprung to mind.

I am by no means a professional photographer yet, and I am still really learning... reading anything I can get my hands on, shooting every day, currently taking a photography course, really just... being a "learn everything you can" monster. So far the T1i has really served me well, but the only thing I keep battling myself with is am I doing myself an injustice by not upgrading the camera right away while I'm learning, or should I just learn on this camera, buy quality lenses, and upgrade when I'm reading to take the leap into professional photography?

I'm willing to do whatever will help me learn better, and if that is buying more lenses first and just really getting to know my camera backwards and forwards before upgrading, then I'll do it. But I have no prior experience with this kind of thing... so this seemed the perfect place to ask. :p

What kind of lenses would you recommend? I am currently looking at two more:

- [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004XOM3/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER"]Canon 100 f/2.8 Macro USM[/ame] and
- [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007U00X0/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER"]Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6 DC HSM[/ame]

What do you think of those?

Thanks for the feedback as well! You're a gem.

Don't over look the 50D or 7D with pricing right now there a fantastic deal. I would rank the 7D over the 5D mark II myself, you just have to decide how important that FF is to you. The 50D is only slightly below mostly in the higher ISO quality. That 800 bucks or so saving would go well to a L lens which is what you will want for highest quality, I would probably go with the 17-40/4 L this would give you a well rounded kit I think.

I'd really, really love to swing for the 5d, but I definitely won't rule out the 7d or the 50d when it comes time to drop the credit card! I'll check out some reviews on them. Thanks!

I'd really, really love to swing for the 5d, but I definitely won't rule out the 7d or the 50d when it comes time to drop the credit card! I'll check out some reviews on them. Thanks!

It really depends on what you shoot. I do mostly landscapes, so I like the FF for the detail and ability to crop. The low noise is awesome. As a teacher, I shoot a lot of sports for the school yearbook. I sometimes wish I had a crop sensor for the increased frame rate and the increased FOV. Soccer and football fields are big places.

I had a 50D as a back up camera and sold it recently. I started trying to shoot birds this summer and I am really regretting selling off that hardware.

Don't over look the 50D or 7D with pricing right now there a fantastic deal. I would rank the 7D over the 5D mark II myself, you just have to decide how important that FF is to you. The 50D is only slightly below mostly in the higher ISO quality. That 800 bucks or so saving would go well to a L lens which is what you will want for highest quality, I would probably go with the 17-40/4 L this would give you a well rounded kit I think.
7d over the 5dmkii?! how did you come to that conclusion?

Okay, interesting feedback. I intend to get mostly into food and pet photography, with the occasional portraiture here and there. However... I travel as often as I can, and would love the ability to shoot full frame as well. Hmm! You guys are giving me a lot of food for thought.

7d over the 5dmkii?! how did you come to that conclusion?

If you shoot sports, wildlife or other subjects that are dependent on speed and zoom, the crop sensor would be the better way to go.

Both the 7D and 5Dmk2 are great cameras. 7D is great for speed, fast action, photojournalism, sports, things like that. 5Dmk2 is better at high ISO noise, resolution. For what you do, I think your better off with a 5Dmk2, but be prepare for a big chunk of change not just for the body but FF lenses as well.

I wish I was capable asking this kind of question right now LOL

From someone shooting a 5d2 I'll say this:
1)You won't find this level of IQ in any Canon camera below it, and that includes the 7D.
2) Depending on how you process and show your images you may not be able to tell the difference between a 5D2 and say a T2i or 7D.
3) The AF system on the 5D2 leaves much to be desired.
4)Cheap glass will show.
5)You may want to save your money and focus on good quality glass. I've seen plenty of working photogs in my area using rebels and xxd bodies and their work is very good. Besides, the 5D may be due for an upgrade in about a year (after the supposed 29mp1Ds4 comes out of course) and may get better AF, if not then the mII will at least be cheaper.
6)There's a new product cycle swinging through, with "spy" pics of the "60d" being released, I'd wait and see what that will be.

Most reactions

Back