Canon vs nikon

The second reason is that photography may become more than just a hobby. In time you may want to take it a step further and really start to upgrade your gear. Once you've bought into a manufacturers system, changing to another is a very costly thing to do. I don't think you can get away from the fact that the vast majority of professionals use either Canon or Nikon and that's because these guys manufacture a variety of high-end camera bodies and lead the way when it comes to development. The other manufacturers don't (again I know Sony have one 'high-end' one, but seriously, why limit yourself that way).

This is a really good point that I didn't think of and is very true. Back in my film days I started with Minolta which was outstanding amateur gear but, it fell short when it came to professional applications which I needed from time to time.

Ford vs. Chevy....

And Sony fits in like Dodge!

In this case what brand is the Porsche and more importantly, what brand is the Ferrari of photo equipment?

Ford vs. Chevy....

And Sony fits in like Dodge!

In this case what brand is the Porsche and more importantly, what brand is the Ferrari of photo equipment?

Hassy/PhaseOne I'd say.

hasselblad-h4d-ferrari-camera.jpg

And once again all the fanboys rush in.

screenshot_17.jpg

Thanks for all the advise! Im leaning towards canon because of the feel. The Nikon feels heavier in front (I guess because of the Nikon lens being heavier than canon lenses).

Last edited:
Nikon D5100 vs canon EOS T3i?
Canon. Bigger used lens market. Motor is in the camera making their lens cost less. Close thread.

This is poor simplistic advice....

Not to mention it is flat-out WRONG!!!!!!! Canon does not have a single focusing motor in their EOS cameras... So, the idea that a Canon lens "costs less" because it has no focusing motor is dead wrong...the Canon EOS system utilizes the focusing motor found in each lens.

Also "bigger used lens market"...quite debatable...there are more total F-mount lenses than EF-mount lenses on the used market. The F-mount has something like a 30-year lead... The "Baby Nikons" like the D3100 will accept, and shoot, with ANY F-mount lens you are likely to find, made between 1959 and 2012; the "Baby Nikons" are great cameras for people who would like to be able to use older, manual focusing lenses without any adapting of the lenses. In terms of autofocusing lenses...the used market for both is HUGE...

At the entry level, the D3100's tested results are quite superior in dynamic range to the EOS T3i, a shown by the DxO Mark sensor comparison results linked to in thread on two occasions. And that's not a "fanboy" comment..it's a simple fact. The entry-level Canons have a sensor that is simply not quite as good as that produced by Sony and used in the Nikon and Sony d-slr bodies. That must rankle a lot of hardcore Canon fanboy types.

Nikon D5100 vs canon EOS T3i?
Canon. Bigger used lens market. Motor is in the camera making their lens cost less. Close thread.
Big Whoopsie!

Since 1987.
Canon EOS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Canon EOS (Electro-Optical System) autofocus 35 mm film and digital SLR camera system was introduced in 1987 with the Canon EOS 650 and is still in production as Canon's current DSLR system....
.....The bayonet-style EF lens mount is at the centre of the EOS camera system. Breaking compatibility with the earlier FD mount, it was designed with no mechanical linkages between moving parts in the lens and in the camera. The aperture and focus are controlled via electrical contacts, with motors in the lens itself.

All Nikon DSLR cameras still control the lens aperture with a motor in the camera body and a mechanical linkage between the camera and the lens.

Now I'm trying to decide on:
Canon EOS T3i or T1i?
I left out the T2i because there is only about a $100 price difference between it and the T3i. However there is a significant price difference between the T1i and the T3i. I'm not much into video but like the option. Is it worth it to go ahead and go with the T3i or should I go with the T1i and use the money saved to purchase better lenses due to my budget ($1000)?

Most reactions

Back