Canon Wide Angle

qmr55

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.sl3designs.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys, I shoot with a Canon T5, I am going on a camping trip this summer and want to be able to do some cool landscape shots. Should I invest in a nice wide angle lens or should I hone my skills to do multiple shots and merge them in photoshop and maybe invest in a better tripod?

Thoughts?

Also, if you say lens, suggestions? Tripod suggestions?

Thanks guys!

Guess I should have stated this but the lenses I currently own below...

• Canon 50mm Prime Lens (1.8)
  • Canon 18-55mm Kit Zoom Lens
  • Canon 75-300mm Zoom Lens

Depends what type of landscapes you want to shoot. Ultrawides can work very well, BUT as you get wider lenses squish verticals around the horizon and centre of the frame making stuff like mountains or sea stacks look small and loose impact because of perspective. They tend to work well when you have big skies and big, close foregrounds with not much vertcals at distance.

To maintain aspect ratios between foreground and background so as not to loose impact you can shoot a panorama and this is where panoramas are really useful.

For general landscapes the sweet spot is the traditional focal lengths of 28-35mm full frame or 18-22mm on a canon cropped sensor IMO which you already have covered with your kit lens. Saying that the kit lens is not the sharpest and you might want to think about upgrading that to get some sharper images. A good tripod is essential to landscape photography, so if you don't have one I'd seriously think about getting one. A good quality cpl and some good quality GNDs are also worth having and learning to use if you like landscape photography.

A lot depends on what your take of landscape is. Any more I generally use my 70-200 for landscapes. Too many landscapes these days show one vast expanse of landscape with little drama. With a telephoto lens you can more easily capture the drama by changing the prospective of the view. Something to consider.

Why you Need a Telephoto Zoom Lens for Landscape Photography

Awesome, thanks for the responses guys! I will look into the aforementioned and take it all into consideration. Appreciate it.

Awesome, thanks for the responses guys! I will look into the aforementioned and take it all into consideration. Appreciate it.

for wide angles look at the Canon 10-18 - around $200 refurbished which includes the one year warranty

for wide angles look at the Canon 10-18 - around $200 refurbished which includes the one year warranty
I use the Canon 24mm 1.4L and love it. Super sharp!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back