Canon XS parameters

Hooker771

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was reading through the tips on the canon learning website (thanks GS Gary) and noticed that you can set the parameters in the camera for sharpness, contrast, and other features. Is this recommended? With almost every single shot I end up adjusting these up in PP in lightroom. Is their a downside to adjusting these?
cid:807265017@17032010-0A55

If you shoot in RAW, those settings will not be applied to the image (unless you choose the 'as shot' option in your RAW processing program).

So if you are shooting RAW (which you should be) then those settings don't really matter.

Plus those settings are applied to the images in a global fashion, meaning the entire image, and in rather coarse increments.

In Photoshop you can apply them to only the parts of the image you select to have them to applied to, and you can apply them in much smaller increments for finer tuning, so to speak.

One thing to keep in mind is that the in-camera thumbnail is a jpeg processed using the in-camera parameters, and the histogram displayed in-camera is based on that jpeg. My experience has been that increasing the saturation, contrast, or sharpness parameters in-camera may cause blinkies to show in-camera, but the actual raw file is just fine. I keep my Canon DSLRs set to the neutral picture style (supposedly the least processed) so I can see a histogram that is more accurate to what I'm going to see in Adobe Camera Raw. The neutral picture style has less contrast, sharpening, and saturation applied than the standard/default setting.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back