Can't afford a new camera... advice?

Have you looked for used equipment anywhere? Maybe craigslist? There are always DSLRs for sale on craigslist in Alabama.

You can also try a powerzoom camera. Much cheaper than DSLRs and most models let you adjust aperture, ISO, shutter, etc. just like a DSLR.

Used equipment would be your best bet. Often times you can find great cameras/lens for 40 cents on the dollar. Take a look at ebay.com

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
What budget range CAN you afford? That will help us offer sound advice.

Get a job. It helped me get my gear. My parents never gave me money for photography gear, only once, I borrowed $600 for my 70-200 but payed it back. I'm also 17.

Ah yes 17 when you should be saving for school but want photo equiptment(i stiil face that delema).

As everyone above me has said get a job. Saving is important but the cost of an entry level camera like the Canon XS or XSI ins under $1000. May seem like a lot but its not.

Yea, I'm starting college in a year, and I still want the 24-70, 16-35 and at least a 40D or a 5D mkII lol

BTW, I spent about $4000 on my gear so far.

i agree, get a job.. but remember.. Chase Jarvis put it best when he said "the best camera is the one you have"

As others said, USED equipment.
Many photographers started out with used camera and lenses. There's no shame in it, on contrary, it shows will and determination.
Good Luck and welcome to the field

I second the used gear statement. Good lenses will always cost a fair chunk of change, but you can pick up good used DSLR bodies for <$300 now. Don't be afraid of 6MP - its more than adequate for most purposes if you pair it with a good lens. I suggest a 50mm prime as a first SLR lens, rather than a crappy unsharp cheap zoom.

Most reactions

Back