Get a job. It helped me get my gear. My parents never gave me money for photography gear, only once, I borrowed $600 for my 70-200 but payed it back. I'm also 17.
Ah yes 17 when you should be saving for school but want photo equiptment(i stiil face that delema).
As everyone above me has said get a job. Saving is important but the cost of an entry level camera like the Canon XS or XSI ins under $1000. May seem like a lot but its not.
As others said, USED equipment.
Many photographers started out with used camera and lenses. There's no shame in it, on contrary, it shows will and determination.
Good Luck and welcome to the field
I second the used gear statement. Good lenses will always cost a fair chunk of change, but you can pick up good used DSLR bodies for <$300 now. Don't be afraid of 6MP - its more than adequate for most purposes if you pair it with a good lens. I suggest a 50mm prime as a first SLR lens, rather than a crappy unsharp cheap zoom.